PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on Monty Beisel: He is Still Horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSU said:
Not good........we have absolutely no depth at inside linebacker. And yes, this is a "doom and gloom" post because this is reality. After watching Gardner, Davis. Beisel, etc....I didn't see too much. We get Ted back and what if he gets hurt again? Please don't tell me we're going to pull Vrabel back inside because he doesn't belong there. He and Rosie belong on the edge because that's we're they belong.
Beisel can't do the job.....seen him for over a year and he su*^s. Have a feeling BB's giving Beisel his chance this preseason and he's gone. Please tell me, who on the current roster is going to back up Bruschi if/when he goes down again? I've read the "we should go to the 4-3" responses and unfortunately, this isn't the solution. No question wee could do this with the D-line we have;however, we all know BB likes the flexibility of going back and forth between the two to keep the opposition on thier hels.

I don't post too often, but had to get this off my chest and hope I didn't offend anyone. Where's the answer?

BB has always managed to find LB in Aug who fit the system...ie Phiffer..
Vrabel...Colvin..and I can only hope that we see that happen soon...Hey what bout Andy Katzenmoyer??

Johninvt said:
Vrabel...Colvin..and I can only hope that we see that happen soon...Hey what bout Andy Katzenmoyer??

"Andy Katzenmoyer".. Wow.. Did someone drink to much last night?

I'm in the 'jury's still out' on Monty and most every other camp player. But a leading indicator of what BB is thinking will be if he signs a vet ILB early this week. Maybe it's just for competition or insurance for a slow Bruschi recovery and maybe not.

Johninvt said:

I know Phifer was in June.

I severely doubt we picked up the others in August. (??)

Katz was drafted. He sure wasn't in an August supplemental.

Last edited:
Based on Friday's game, it looks like the Pats will have to shift Bob

Vrable back to the inside and hope one of their young outside linebackers

can emerge as a starter.

Last edited:
If the linebackers continue the same for two more games, I agree Vrabel will move inside. Chad Brown will likely start with Colvin, sharing time with Banta-Cain, Mincey and Woods.

Jimke said:
Based on Friday's game, it looks like the Pats will have to shift Bob

Vrable back to the inside and hope one of their young outside linebackers

can emerge as a starter.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I'm in the 'jury's still out' on Monty and most every other camp player. But a leading indicator of what BB is thinking will be if he signs a vet ILB early this week. Maybe it's just for competition or insurance for a slow Bruschi recovery and maybe not.

Wow.. If u believe there is any chance with Monty.. I have a car to sell u :)

Last edited:
mcsully said:
"Andy Katzenmoyer".. Wow.. Did someone drink to much last night?

Really sticking his neck out on that one.

Haw.

Okay this suggests to me 2 things:

1) We're just flat running low on LBs we can happily field, at least as far as fan evaluation goes. If fan evaluation in any way resembles BB eval, we're going to cut our ILB woes in half and go with the 4-3 (I guess that would also mean going one-gap for the linemen, and therefore make Seymour's function something a mere mortal can handle, until Sey is back.)

2) That being the case: we have our guys up front much more involved with the stops, and (fanfare) give the MLB the opportunity to play in space - that's Tedy, or Donnie Edwards (which ain't gonna happen, just because anything fans want to happen that bad, won't, because said fans get the idea stuck in their heads without knowing what coaches see.)

What would also be cool is a 2-gap 3-4 like we've had in the past, but with the lightbulb actually going on in Beisel's helmet.

PFnV

Good posts, folks; I generally agree with all of them.
The most complimentary word I can use to describe Mr.Beisel is: tentative. He appears to just not want to play on the inside, where bodies are flying everywhere, and danger is ever-present. (Neither would I, really. Then again, I'm 5'09", 160.) The sooner BB realizes this basic fact, the sooner the ILB situation can be fixed. I still, perhaps foolishly, believe that the best use of the available talent is Beisel at OLB and Dan Klecko at ILB. As of right now, the best ILB, besides Bruschi, is Mike Vrabel. An OLB rotation Colvin, Beisel, TBC, Mincey, Woods and (if healthy) Chad Brown, while by no means perfect, is currently the best option. Vrabel would man the ILB with Bruschi, Gardner, Klecko, Roach and Alexander. Outsourcing for LB help would also be welcome; the list of available bodies were previously posted from a Mike Reiss blog entry (Junior Seau can apparently be scratched from that list).

That's my $.02; now on to Reche Caldwell and the WR thead...

captain stone said:
The sooner BB realizes this basic fact, the sooner the ILB situation can be fixed....
Words fail me....

Re: Monty Beisel is Still Horrible

patsox23 said:
My Thoughts on Your Thoughts on Monty Beisel:

I understand, but you guys really do need to give it a bit more time.

My thoughts exactly. :)

Keep in mind two things...

1.) Beisel was hurt in camp recently.

2.) Beisel was playing behind the second and third string DL.

BTW, Don Davis and Barry Gardner were terrible and I expect BB to bring in a vet LB soon (Ruff, Claiborne, Posey, etc.). I'm guessing that BB wanted to see how well Davis and Gardner fare with the 1st stringers (Seymour and Green DNP).

It is too early. I wish Monty made that int during the Atlanta game....one thing he has is an emotional presence and being surrounded by the other starters will only help. Give him a chance-you won't regret it

I have to conceed... I'm reaching the "if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck" stage with the full Monty. I need some kind of a play, anything at all, to make me think he can be a big time player. C'mon, Monty! Do something for chrissake! We want to cheer...

The very fact that I'm sitting here pondering Roach and Mincey and [your name here] makes me think um, yup, it's a duck.

GO DON DAVIS!!!

Oy.

PFnV

mcsully said:
Wow.. If u believe there is any chance with Monty.. I have a car to sell u :)

Try explaining to us why BB has him on the roster then...

PatsWickedPissah said:
Try explaining to us why BB has him on the roster then...
exactly.
how about some support -damn.

we must have alot of fantasy football fiends here.

It took Tedy Bruschi THREE YEARS To learn this system. Beisel's no Bruschi, but you guys are the Chicken Littlest.

RELAX. A bit more patience is required. He made some improvements last year, he was nicked up earlier this week, and played - tentative? Sure. So were lots of guys. If he looks the same in week 4 of pre-season, then fine, but you're being ridiculous.

The previous couple of posts were nice and well spoken. We have alot of very intelligent people here.

Monty is here with us. We really need to egg him on and give him our support.

You never know if he might check this board out.

He has my support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand