PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on Monty Beisel: He is Still Horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
One of my passions on this board, aside from talking about Daniel Graham, and making Maroney=Roger Craig and Jackson=Jerry Rice comparisons, is to scrutinize #52. I know it was just the first pre-season game, but I was specifically watching him every single play he was in there. From what I saw, Monty Beisel is still a horrible inside linebacker.

I don't care how much weight he put on this off-season, or how much muscle he gained. All I care about is what happens on the football field, and I see that Beisel has not changed from what he is: a non-factor on defense. He still makes poor tackles, takes poor angles, and is easily taken out of plays or often arrives after the action. Beisel still plays without fearlessness or heart, and those are qualities that you either have or don't have.

I know a veteran poster staked his reputation recently about how he thought Beisel would be good, but I have to respectfully disagree. You can't turn a mouse into a lion.

edit: Changed the title because I thought JoeSixPat would just love that.

Last edited:
Re: Monty Beisel is Still Horrible

I was firmly in the "let's give this guy another shot" camp before last night. But I think the fact that Gardner/Davis started over him, yet he still got in on special teams/ 2nd defense, says something. Yes, he's missed some practices due to injury, but if he was still injured he would not have played.

My Thoughts on Your Thoughts on Monty Beisel:

I understand, but you guys really do need to give it a bit more time.

patsox23 said:
I understand, but you guys really do need to give it a bit more time.

patsox23, Not really. These thoughts are as legit and valid as people creating some conclusions about Mills, Maroney, Andrews, Gorin, Cassel, Gostgowski, and any other player from the first pre-season game.

It's embarrassing they gave this guy Ted Johnson's number. This guy simply sucks.

He does stink, but Don Davis didn't look too hot either. When is Bruschi projected back? Are there any other inside linebackers out there we could bring in? What about that guy from Buffalo?

PatsDeb said:
He does stink, but Don Davis didn't look too hot either. When is Bruschi projected back? Are there any other inside linebackers out there we could bring in? What about that guy from Buffalo?

Don Davis is a traffic cone. Its clear that if Bruschi goes down, we have a mortal flaw at LB. Davis? Beisel? Brown? Are you kidding me?

PatsDeb said:

Don Davis wasnt projected to start next to Bruschi..Beisel was.

Anyone think having Vrabel inside and then TBC or hell even Chad Brown outside will be better? Maybe getitng Posey..Claiborne?

Don Davis wasn't expected to play LB at all. He and Izzo are on the team to play special teams. It is embarrasssing to have Davis as our starting ILB.

Remix 6 said:
Don Davis wasnt projected to start next to Bruschi..Beisel was.

Anyone think having Vrabel inside and then TBC or hell even Chad Brown outside will be better? Maybe getitng Posey..Claiborne?

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that Bruschi is due to come back soon, forcing offenses to concentrate on him more than Beisel. Maybe that will help Beisel.

But last night, he sucked.

And Beisel sucked playing against 3rd stringers.

I guess we need to hope that he is still receovering from an injury. He won't be playing next Bruschi unless he gets much better soon. A free agent or Gardner or Alexander or Vrabel will start.

Willie55 said:
The only light at the end of the tunnel is that Bruschi is due to come back soon, forcing offenses to concentrate on him more than Beisel. Maybe that will help Beisel.

But last night, he sucked.

Last edited:
true...and Tedy: try to return soon...and i hope we will be able to sign someone too

I was encouraged by Eric alexander's performance. This defense is based on the D-line and with J. Sullivan playing nose tackle most of the game, any defense would look terrible against the run. He looked like a bull trying to avoid the matador.

I thought the same thing until I watched the tape again.

On almost every play they had him playing back - more in coverage than being a run plugger. He did miss an INT but that is not a fatal flaw. He did take on the gaurds on a couple of occasions but the safety was late coming up.

So, as a member of the jury I need to see more actual play before I jump off the bandwagon and declare him a dud. I did have one foot off until I watched the tape.

Remember this is pre-season and the coaches are looking at players to do different things.

the good stuff on rookies, etc... has the caveat that it's just one game, we'll see, but so far it looks promising.

YOU guys are saying, essentially, Beisel is awful and forget it.

There's a difference,

its scary, its preseason and our mlb situation becides brushi is a joke

Jacky Roberts said:
It's embarrassing they gave this guy Ted Johnson's number. This guy simply sucks.

That # assignment was a subtle diss to TJ for his commentary last season. :)

Is Izzo so bad that he can't be considered for the ILB position?

363839 said:
Is Izzo so bad that he can't be considered for the ILB position?

Yes. That's why McGinest gave him a face plant last year during the Broncos playoff game.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I thought the same thing until I watched the tape again.

On almost every play they had him playing back - more in coverage than being a run plugger. He did miss an INT but that is not a fatal flaw. He did take on the gaurds on a couple of occasions but the safety was late coming up.

So, as a member of the jury I need to see more actual play before I jump off the bandwagon and declare him a dud. I did have one foot off until I watched the tape.

Remember this is pre-season and the coaches are looking at players to do different things.
Nice post, that's good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back