PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on Monty Beisel: He is Still Horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
TO the people that think Beisel can contribute to this team are kidding themselves.. Beisel doesn't have what it takes.
Here are some quick reasons:
1. He didn't start, two new players did - Thats not a great sign (banged up or not)
2. He looked lost against scrubs.. Again not good
3. He has had two full off seasons with the Pats, He should know where to go
4. The fact the pats worked out to ILB this week, shows he isn't making this team

FYI, I been stayin this since the end of last season.. he stinks and will never be any good.. I even offered to wager on this but no one offered to take me up on it..

I rewatched some of the game again today and my second viewing confirmed my previous post in my mind. 2nd and 3rd quarter Beisel was consistenyly taken out of the play by a single blocker. I saw him make ZERO plays, while a rook like Mincey is shedding blockers and getting to the ball. Count how many plays ended with Beisel standing over the tackled ball carrier, the play already dead. Usually he claps his hands, almost a sign that he knows he screwed up. I don't care if he was the one drpoping into coverage, if he's gonna be a starting NFL linebacker for a super bowl caliber team he should be leading the charge on every play against the Falcons 3rd string offense.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I thought the same thing until I watched the tape again.

On almost every play they had him playing back - more in coverage than being a run plugger. He did miss an INT but that is not a fatal flaw. He did take on the gaurds on a couple of occasions but the safety was late coming up.

So, as a member of the jury I need to see more actual play before I jump off the bandwagon and declare him a dud. I did have one foot off until I watched the tape.

Remember this is pre-season and the coaches are looking at players to do different things.

He also missed a tackle at one point that was horrible. He had his arms completely around the trunk of the runner and he just slipped out of his arms. It was pathetic looking, like he has no arm strength or something.

SoonerPatriot said:
He also missed a tackle at one point that was horrible. He had his arms completely around the trunk of the runner and he just slipped out of his arms. It was pathetic looking, like he has no arm strength or something.

Ok, Ok he sucks!

He a coward. He's stupid. He's just the worst player that ever put on a Patriots uniform.

He will not make the team. BB should have made him walk home from Atlanta.

When he's cut, which should be tomorrow, I will start a thread and say how wrong I was and beg for forgiveness.

As a certified Box_O_Rocks I'd like to:

1. Invite you to view the breakdowns being posted in the Atlanta breakdown thread - especially D4 which I just posted.

2. Keep your hankies handy when Monty makes the team. :D

PATSNUTme said:
Ok, Ok he sucks!

He a coward. He's stupid. He's just the worst player that ever put on a Patriots uniform.

He will not make the team. BB should have made him walk home from Atlanta.

When he's cut, which should be tomorrow, I will start a thread and say how wrong I was and beg for forgiveness.

We cant afford to cut him. We need the bodies. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but this has not been a good start to him and I don't just mean last night. He's had a bad camp.

Willie55 said:
Yes. That's why McGinest gave him a face plant last year during the Broncos playoff game.

Oh yeah. I remember that incident now. Not a good image of Willy, either.
But I would think that Izzo would learn more about the system by now.
I guess not, though.

363839 said:
Is Izzo so bad that he can't be considered for the ILB position?

He is listed at 228 Lbs. He looked as good as anyone else there.

That is the problem.

maverick4 said:
One of my passions on this board, aside from talking about Daniel Graham, and making Maroney=Roger Craig and Jackson=Jerry Rice comparisons, is to scrutinize #52. I know it was just the first pre-season game, but I was specifically watching him every single play he was in there. From what I saw, Monty Beisel is still a horrible inside linebacker.

I don't care how much weight he put on this off-season, or how much muscle he gained. All I care about is what happens on the football field, and I see that Beisel has not changed from what he is: a non-factor on defense. He still makes poor tackles, takes poor angles, and is easily taken out of plays or often arrives after the action. Beisel still plays without fearlessness or heart, and those are qualities that you either have or don't have.

I know a veteran poster staked his reputation recently about how he thought Beisel would be good, but I have to respectfully disagree. You can't turn a mouse into a lion.

edit: Changed the title because I thought JoeSixPat would just love that.

Mav- nice post and couldn't agree with you more. As my college coach once said to me after a game (which we won handily, I might add and I played inside 'backer)...."looked like you were on roller skates out there"......need I say more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie55 said:
The only light at the end of the tunnel is that Bruschi is due to come back soon, forcing offenses to concentrate on him more than Beisel. Maybe that will help Beisel.

But last night, he sucked.

Not good........we have absolutely no depth at inside linebacker. And yes, this is a "doom and gloom" post because this is reality. After watching Gardner, Davis. Beisel, etc....I didn't see too much. We get Ted back and what if he gets hurt again? Please don't tell me we're going to pull Vrabel back inside because he doesn't belong there. He and Rosie belong on the edge because that's we're they belong.
Beisel can't do the job.....seen him for over a year and he su*^s. Have a feeling BB's giving Beisel his chance this preseason and he's gone. Please tell me, who on the current roster is going to back up Bruschi if/when he goes down again? I've read the "we should go to the 4-3" responses and unfortunately, this isn't the solution. No question we could do this with the D-line we have;however, we all know BB likes the flexibility of going back and forth between the two to keep the opposition on thier heels.

I don't post too often, but had to get this off my chest and hope I didn't offend anyone. Where's the answer?

Re: Monty Beisel is Still Horrible

maverick4 said:
patsox23, Not really. These thoughts are as legit and valid as people creating some conclusions about Mills, Maroney, Andrews, Gorin, Cassel, Gostgowski, and any other player from the first pre-season game.

Patsox,
How much time you wanna give the guy??? How long has he been in the NFL??? He didn't do squat with one of the worst D's in the NFL (Chiefs) and he hasn't done anything with us. Did you see him last night? The guy buried his head at initial contact with whatever O-lineman confronted him and then he'd pick a side and try and make a futile arm tackle. Monty has a SWEET lookin' girl but that ain't gonna' make it.

At this point giving Monty more time is just more time for himto be average at best. He is a back up at best. What about getting Donnie edwards from San Diego?

Last edited:
mcsully said:
TO the people that think Beisel can contribute to this team are kidding themselves.. Beisel doesn't have what it takes.
Here are some quick reasons:
1. He didn't start, two new players did - Thats not a great sign (banged up or not)
2. He looked lost against scrubs.. Again not good
3. He has had two full off seasons with the Pats, He should know where to go
4. The fact the pats worked out to ILB this week, shows he isn't making this team

FYI, I been stayin this since the end of last season.. he stinks and will never be any good.. I even offered to wager on this but no one offered to take me up on it..

I concur these points are valid and might add he might only make the team because of a low body count at ILB..

Re: Monty Beisel is Still Horrible

PSU said:
Patsox,
How much time you wanna give the guy???

Well, given that both Dean Pees and BB (not to mention what I've seen with my own eyes) have indicated that Beisel improved over the last year, I guess I wanna give him more than one F-ing pre-season game more. Fair enough?

mcsully said:
I concur these points are valid and might add he might only make the team because of a low body count at ILB..

Did you mean to quote yourself?

Box_O_Rocks said:
As a certified Box_O_Rocks I'd like to:

1. Invite you to view the breakdowns being posted in the Atlanta breakdown thread - especially D4 which I just posted.

2. Keep your hankies handy when Monty makes the team. :D

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=39061&page=3

Look at Post 23, which is the one Box is referring to. Beisel seems to really hold his own, from Box's perspective (which is generally thought to be a reliable one). I suspect that Beisel will make the team; BB is exceptional in his work with LBs, one of the best coaches of that position of all time. Who would have backed Mike Vrabel to make the team, having been a backup in Pitt?

Edit: Some of us were pretty damn concerned after the 2004 preseason (amongst other years), especially with what looked like a weak running game. It's worth bearing that in mind.

Last edited:
In Monty's defense he almost made a nice interception on one play. There were other plays where he was getting overpowered. I'm all for giving Clairborne a shot and hoping that the opportunity to play for a winner brings out the best in him.

Julius said:
In Monty's defense he almost made a nice interception on one play. There were other plays where he was getting overpowered. I'm all for giving Clairborne a shot and hoping that the opportunity to play for a winner brings out the best in him.

The ball was thrown right at him, he didn't have to move an inch. I still dont know how he dropped it.

My point was a least he is in proper position this year. That fact that he can't finish plays is troubling.

Willie55 said:
The ball was thrown right at him, he didn't have to move an inch. I still dont know how he dropped it.

Didn't he jump higher than the ball was thrown ... maybe he was just trying
to swat it down and lower thrown ball, while seemingly easy to catch, had
him hand cuffed. Don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back