PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Lombardi says Peyton Manning had 3rd neck surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I hope Archie has some kind of influence in his decision going forward...

Not sure that's such a good idea. . . . :eek:

Plenty of good seats still available. Ask about our season ticket packages!

Last edited:
Thanks for finding that Rob. That has to be the most disastrously NON-prescient column ever! Wonder if Kravitz ever admits and does a mea culpa.
Re-reading that now several months post publishing date makes you sit there with somewhat of a dumbfounded smile doesn't it.

I wish I could say poor Kravitz, but I won't because he doesn't deserve any adulation given his attitude towards the Patriots and preparing for tomorrow's needs today.

Plenty of good seats still available. Ask about our season ticket packages!

That piped in crowd noise will REALLY echo with that many empty seats. :D

condolences to the colts, man that sucks

i guess he's gone for at least half a season, and probably will turn out to be the entire season, if not his career, depending on how it heals

that just sucks for the colts and their fans

Most likely he never plays again. What was Indy thinking when they gave him a huge signing bonus.

lovely parting gift

it's hard for me to say he hasn't earned it as an ambassador of the nfl

Well, this news is hardly shocking. But I have to say, I'm a little confused. As I mentioned in another thread, my husband had an anterior cervical fusion on vertebrae C5 and C6 and his doctor said he could do anything he wanted after the surgery "even play professional football" (obviously, that was not a serious option, but I think he was making a point). Now, I don't know what Peyton's initial injury was and how it differs from my husband's but I would hesitate on saying it is career ending, just from my own personal experience with this surgery. But then I read what other doctors are saying, and frankly, it makes sense too. I don't know, I just hope Peyton gets well and for god's sake DO NOT play this year!

As is often the case, there are as many opinions on this as their are neurologists... Carroll says that ten players have had the (or a similar i.e. fusion) procedure and returned to play. None have been QB's (although one high profile expert says in his "research" studies QB's have done well so who knows). I don't think any have been the same. Certainly answered the question in Colt fans minds about how Hayden went from emerging star CB to cut at a substantial cap hit in 2 years... Apparently Cooper chimed in that he had this procedure and was fine afterwards...for an oil fund broker...:rolleyes: Peyton is already in line for eventual spinal stenosis of the neck now whether he had the genetic defect or not via eventual arthritis developing. The more of these procedures he undergoes in the short or long term the liklier and sooner he is to develop that.

He won't play this year. The reason he isn't on IR already is what does that gain them but more empty seats due to all hope lost. He's out a minimum of 12 weeks barring complications.

Oh c'mon. You don't buy in to the crap that only Manning can make these guys stars do you? Addai is a solid RB and Collie & Garcon are genuine receivers. Saturday is a rock on the line. There's plenty of decent players on the Colts.

Decent being the operative word...by your own admission. Manning made them all look better than decent in stretches.

I can't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else but there was a descriptive breakdown of Manning's new contract including numbers associated with a career ending injury. Does anyone remember seeing that?

If this ends his career he could walk away with up to $54M. It all depends on what happens by next March when on the 4th day of the league year he is do a guaranteed $28M option bonus. Right now they are on the hook for $26.4M. There are ways around all of that but they involve his retiring and paying back $16M in signing bonus or his being cut before the option is due (and not demanding an injury settlement and in normal circumstances any player would be considered due that money).

Full recovery will also depend on you having a strong, positive attitude, setting small, realistic goals for improvement, and working steadily to accomplish each goal.

that is an excerpt from a page on anterior cervical fusion...what is a realistic goal, to play 4 quarters of the most brutal game played by man??

I take the money and run...what the hell is Peyton trying to chase down, a second Super Bowl win? Not with THAT team anytime soon....he's going to play until he's 37 or 38 for another realistic shot? I hope Archie has some kind of influence in his decision going forward...

Well they were in the super bowl a year ago with pretty much the same team.

Decent being the operative word...by your own admission. Manning made them all look better than decent in stretches.
This is not a legal argument and we're not arguing specific terminology. They are all good to above average players. Take your hating elsewhere, I'm not interested in it just because they're Colts players.

This is not a legal argument and we're not arguing specific terminology. They are all good to above average players. Take your hating elsewhere, I'm not interested in it just because they're Colts players.

This has nothing to do with hating. It has to do with your irrational assessment of the Colts existing talent absent Manning. Addai is not the player they drafted him to be. Brown isn't either. They have collected as many additional options as they can as a result, including adding a JAG FB at the 11th hour to a roster that was not constructed to run to pass. Their OL is a mess, in part because Polian has miscalculated and then whiffed on replacements for his once above average starters. Saturday is surrounded by a RT playing LG for the first time in his ten year career, a raw rookie LT, and two jags manning the right side of the line (with the rookie selected to play there not impressing in camp). Clark and Wayne are arguably still top ten at their positions playing with the only QB they have ever known... The youngsters are a mixed bag, talented but inconsistent and injury prone - and all they have ever known is Manning. Can they all adapt to Collins or visa versa and can the OL even keep him upright or open enough holes to allow for a running game to take at least some of the pressure off him? On the fly with 2 weeks to adapt before facing live fire?? With a coaching staff now devoid of most of the talent that built it into a contender?

It's not hate, it's reality. Their best shot is actually to steal a couple of wins early before opponents have film on whatever this offense attempts to morph into. Either way the grind will eventually catch up to them. They are fortunate to play in a poorly coached/managed division, so they aren't a slam dunk to finish last and enter the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes. But they could. Best case scenario is they can pull off 5-6 wins because of who they face not who they are. They weren't a slam dunk to retain the division even with Manning under center this season although he clearly elevated them to project to double digit wins in a division full of often talented but maddeningly inconsistent wannabes but playing a schedule liberally sprinkled with legitimate conference rivals.

I'm totally depressed by this. There is no one better to beat than Manning. I hope he makes he back soon.

This is Will Carroll's latest take. You can find as many divergent expert opinions as you can find neuro experts...so take it for what it's worth. Somewhere between he could be back this year and his career is probably over lies the truth. We probably won't know exactly where for that lies for another 12 months or so... While it is probably premature to call it career ending, it's probably naive or wishful thinking to claim it isn't career threatening...

Peyton Manning could see career come to an end after neck surgery - Will Carroll - SI.com

Oh c'mon. You don't buy in to the crap that only Manning can make these guys stars do you? Addai is a solid RB and Collie & Garcon are genuine receivers. Saturday is a rock on the line. There's plenty of decent players on the Colts.

Absolutely, but the QB is the straw that stirs that offensive drink.
Their running game isn't strong enough to use twice out of every 3 downs during a series.
If Painter can't at least keep the score close, then the Clots are screwed.
Their defense is built to play indoors, with a lead. If they don't have a lead,
they will be run-upon to defeat.

In any regard, it is saddening to read about this because Manning has been a very formidable competitor, and has always given us great games over the years. Because of him, it was never hard to get up for the games against the Colts.

For sake of prolonging his career (if he continues to have one). I really hope that they will not rush him back, and instead, give him the entire season off to heal up properly. Of course this will not be the case because so much money is at stake. I just hope that nothing bad happens as a result. I can only wish him well and hope he has a good recovery.

Manning is an integral part of exciting 21st century Patriots history. He's a player who makes the NFL the great entertainment that it is. I hope that he takes the time to get healthy and returns as a top flite competitor, whenever it is best for his health. If this is the end of his career or the end of his play at an elite level, we've all lost something that is very hard to equal.

Well they were in the super bowl a year ago with pretty much the same team.

that was two seasons ago....GB/Pitt was last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore