PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Lombardi says Peyton Manning had 3rd neck surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Breaking news, Manning has another surgery on neck.

A season without Manning is not that fun, but i guess its ok as long as NE wins it all.

I don't recall too many people feeling sorry for the Patriots when Brady missed 2008. I hope Manning recovers, but I don't feel bad for the Colts one bit.

I'd extend that to F*** the Colts fans as well. Ever since Brady's injury in '08, there's been constant drivel on Colts message boards from those d-bag fans just wishing that someone would take out his knee again and end his career.

The high and mighty, self proclaimed classy Indy fans now find their QB injured, possibly out for the season and potentially the end of his career. All that venom and hate spewing seems to have backfired.

How's that for karma, huh?

and the team signed him to a new deal - d'oh!

I don't like Manning, but respect the hell out of him. Sorry to see this happen. Gotta think this is the end of the Manning we all knew.

On a side note, I guess Bob Kravitz was right that the Pats wasted a pick on Mallet while the Colts do it right with no legitimate back up plan.

Probably should've drafted is replacement this year

They probably should've drafted his replacement this year. The new guy would have this season to play, and then maybe two more to learn from Manning himself as a back up. Then Manning retires and the new guy steps up like Aaron Rodgers did.

They should trade us for Ryan Mallet this year and make him the heir.

I don't recall too many people feeling sorry for the Patriots when Brady missed 2008. I hope Manning recovers, but I don't feel bad for the Colts one bit.

As a Pats fan it clears one obstacle out of the way for us towards the Super Bowl - now we have Pitt, Balt and The Jets to beat.....

I wish him well. But I can't believe he will miss that much time getting his bolts tightened.

neck-bolts-big.jpg

Without Peyton, Colts reach 5-11 @ maximum.
I wish Peyton:" get well soon"

But i´m afraid, that we´ll never again see NR. 18 on the irongrid.

Sorry to see this, the Colts have had a horrible backup QB situation for years it will hurt them this year.

Not sure Manning ever makes it back.

Cervical fusion?

How do you get your cervix fused?

I've got to read up on this later.....:D

Sun 9/11 Houston Texans at Houston 1:00 pm
Sun 9/18 Cleveland Browns Cleveland 1:00 pm

Sun 9/25 Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh 8:20 pm
Mon 10/3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Tampa Bay 8:30 pm
Sun 10/9 Kansas City Chiefs Kansas City 1:00 pm
Sun 10/16 Cincinnati Bengals at Cincinnati 1:00 pm
Sun 10/23 New Orleans Saints at New Orleans 8:20 pm
Sun 10/30 Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pm
Sun 11/6 Atlanta Falcons Atlanta 1:00 pm
Sun 11/13 Jacksonville Jaguars Jacksonville 1:00 pm
Bye
Sun 11/27 Carolina Panthers Carolina 1:00 pm
Sun 12/4 New England Patriots at New England 8:20 pm
Sun 12/11 Baltimore Ravens at Baltimore 1:00 pm
Sun 12/18 Tennessee Titans Tennessee 1:00 pm
Thu 12/22 Houston Texans Houston 8:20 pm
Sun 1/1 Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pm

See, in my opinion, a Kerry Collins led Colts with absolutely no runninggame and an average defense that plays very well with leads (2007 pats) can't beat any of those teams except the bengals, panthers, jaguars.

I don't wish injury on anyone, including Peyton, but now let's see what that franchise is made of. When Brady missed an entire season the Patriots still managed an 11-5 record. Let's see if the Colts can even come within earshot of that. I highly doubt it.

I've been expecting Manning to go on IR for a while now, so I had these stats readily available:

Pats 2007 SoS(pre): .535 They went 16-0 and the post SoS was .469
(if you take out the Pats games, their opponents were exactly .500)
Pats 2008 SoS(pre): .387 They went 11-5 and the post SoS was .480
(again, take away Pats games and opponents were .492)
Pats 2009 SoS(pre): .590 They went 10-6 and the post SoS was .516
(once more, opponents were .525 against all non-Pats teams)
Pats 2010 SoS(pre): .531 they went 14-2 and the post SoS was .504
(Opponents were a 4 year best of .529 against non-Pats opponents)

The 2010 Colts SoS(pre): .516 They went 10-6 and the post SoS was .473
(Opponents were .479 against non-Colt teams)

Now we wait a few years to see if the Colts missing Manning for a year is comparable to the Pats missing Brady for a year, and then we can listen to all the arguements about how Manning is older, the Colts are a worse team, Collins isn't as good as Cassel, Manning is still the greatest and totally would've won the next 10 Super Bowls had he not hurt his neck, blah, blah, blah. (I suspect with the nature of his injury and his age, that he will never again perform at the "ManningVP" level that we've all come to know.)

Brady goes 16-0, the next year Cassel goes up against what looks to be a much easier (but ends up being roughly the same) strength of schedule and loses 5 games. Brady comes back and plays a SoS that is 1 win per team higher than the previous two years and he loses 6 games. Then, one year removed from the injury he goes up against another very hard schedule and only loses twice. The Pats also only missed the playoffs the year Cassel was the QB. Using this limited data, I think it's safe to assume that Brady not being under center is a significant loss to the Pats, regardless of what people will say.

Everyone says without Manning, the Colts are a horrible team, and sure, I agree, but is he really worth 5 wins this season? I doubt many people had them higher than 10-6 again this year (Pre-preseason I had them at 10-6, missing the playoffs with Manning).
If they don't go 3-13 what will the ManningVP arguers say? By god, what if Collins takes them past 5-11? I think Collins can take the Colts to 6+wins (no more than 8). Will that mean that everyone is wrong or that the numbers are wrong?
In my mind if the Colts go 4-12 or worse, I will concede that ManningVP is in fact, the most important individual to a team, but if Collins goes 6-10 or better, I'm throwing the flag and calling it for Brady in part 37,263 of 48,398 in the Brady vs Manning debate.

Re: So if the Colts go 4-12 ....

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
If anyone is concerned about the Manning-Brady legacy, trust me, this is going to hurt Manning in the long run. He might never play again, and he might never be the same player if he does. Brady would narrow the gap or surpass Manning in longevity stats, the only thing Manning still has going for him.

If anyone is concerned about the Manning-Brady legacy, trust me, this is going to hurt Manning in the long run. He might never play again, and he might never be the same player if he does. Brady would narrow the gap or surpass Manning in longevity stats, the only thing Manning still has going for him.

Well, that's certainly a relief...

They should make up some bull**** excuse and start Curtis Painter to give them the greatest chance of accomplishing this. It's their best case scenario at this point. One bad season and the Colts will be set for more than ten seasons

So they should give up and not even try?

Best wishes to Mr. Manning, a 35-year-old father of two having major surgery on his spinal column. That's scary stuff.

To Mr. Polian, who seems poised to reap the rewards of a long series of draft blunders, a total blind spot for the backup QB position, and the commitment of vast guaranteed money to an aging, ailing starter...enjoy.

I think we dont see Manning at all this season, hope he recovers though.

Colts should have had a backup in position for a time like this, Everyone can get injured so they should prepare accordingly. Collins coming in to learn a completely new system is gonna be tricky.

I'm not a doctor, although I did have a date with a girl who was going to med school.

Because of a car accident I had compression fractures an bulged disks in the neck. I was advised by the doctor that fusion would be the very last option because of the loss of mobility in the neck.

Now Peytons condition could be miles away form mine. But any loss of mobility in the neck woud seem to be career threatning. I hope that's not the case but I can't see how an NFL QB can play without full range of motion.

Best wishes to Mr. Manning, a 35-year-old father of two having major surgery on his spinal column. That's scary stuff.

To Mr. Polian, who seems poised to reap the rewards of a long series of draft blunders, a total blind spot for the backup QB position, and the commitment of vast guaranteed money to an aging, ailing starter...enjoy.

Speaking of Polian, what do you bet that the competition committee changes the IR rules?

If the animated video of the Anterior Cervical Fusion is too uncomfortable to watch this article is much less harrowing and more informative.

I don't like plates on bones at the best of times (I believe that's what restricted Wheatley on his oft injured wrist), but the neck just seems ten times worse. I can't believe the Colts haven't put him on IR and given him the optimal recovery time. They (and I suspect that very much includes Peyton) are placing unnecessary pressure on him to recover by mid to end November. Peyton needs to be 100% positive and optimistic and that will be compromised should there be any early signs of slow healing.

I admire his fortitude and determination, but he owes it to himself, his team and football to do everything he can to fully recover and that in my mind ought to include taking a full year to let nature heal the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News