PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo will be the new HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see why Kraft wouldn’t do a thorough search to be 100 percent sure.
Because he's already promised the job to him, and already made his decision. Looking back on it, he was closer to getting it last year, than we thought.

I’m against it…wanted Harbaugh. I think Vrabel would be a better option since he had some success in Tennessee and maybe he gets to bring Derrick Henry.

But if Kraft wants to give Mayo a shot for next year then meh…we aren’t going to become contenders overnight.

Because he's already promised the job to him, and already made his decision. Looking back on it, he was closer to getting it last year, than we thought.
But what makes him qualified to replace Belichick?

“What’s gone on here the last 3-4 years isn’t what we want. We have a responsibility to do what we can to fix it.”

Robert Kraft on the decision to part ways with Bill Belichick.

So the answer isn’t to go and hire someone from Bills staff. Change is good. This organization needs a change

The comment means nothing. It is what he thinks fans want to hear. That’s all.

There are lean years ahead my friend. Especially from our perspective of expectations.
If in the next 12 years we win the division 3 times, get 2 wild cards,, win 5 playoff games total, end up 102-102, and win 1 SB between now and 2056 (beyond many of our lifespans) we will have met expectations.

I am 59 years old. We hired BB when I was 35. We won 6 SBs.
If I live to be 91 and the Patriots win 1 more SB we met the expectations we should have today.
That’s what most people around here don’t seem to get. Losing BB while not inevitable, certainly does not usher in greener pastures. All Bob did today was try and shift public perception on the status of his shining city on the hill. Bob cares more about people’s perception of what he is doing, than what he actually doing. That’s the current state of the organization.
Vrabel or Mayo are the only options to maintain that perception. They probably don’t actually address the problem.

That’s what most people around here don’t seem to get. Losing BB while not inevitable, certainly does not usher in greener pastures. All Bob did today was try and shift public perception on the status of his shining city on the hill. Bob cares more about people’s perception of what he is doing, than what he actually doing. That’s the current state of the organization.
Vrabel or Mayo are the only options to maintain that perception. They probably don’t actually address the problem.

To be fair no coach addresses the problem. Our coaching was fine.

It’s the roster building and drafting that have been lacking.

I do hope they at least look at other options. Seems a mistake to put all our eggs in one basket when you got vrabel, harbaugh etc. out there.

It’s a huge gamble.
Of course it is. One can only hope it pays off - but there's nothing, as a player or positional coach, to lead anyone to believe he's the guy to turn things around.

I wonder why Kraft held onto Bill last year if that was the case.

To be fair no coach addresses the problem. Our coaching was fine.

It’s the roster building and drafting that have been lacking.

I do hope they at least look at other options. Seems a mistake to put all our eggs in one basket when you got vrabel, harbaugh etc. out there.
Kraft promised the job to Mayo last year - remember the big announcement for seemingly no reason? It's already done.

It’s a huge gamble.
It’s stupid. Mayo could very well be the best candidate but they need to be interviewing multiple candidates both inside and outside the building to be sure instead of handing the keys to Mayo and skipping the process all together.

The point if the Rooney rule was to increase the amount of minority HCs.

The number of black HCs has been pretty consistent with the percentage of black football coaches. The racial mix of players isn’t relevant to the racial mix of coaches any more than the racial mix of brick layers is to the racial mix of social workers.
This is unbelievably blind or intentionally dense.

Who becomes a HC? Coo-ordinators and position coaches right? Most of those (overwhelmingly) are former players. Black players are the majority of football players (especially NFL) or at least a very large portion. So Black players make up a large portion of the original talent pool (players) for coaches and yet somehow they never made it to be coaches for some mysterious reason?

Let me guess, you also think Black QBs were not a thing till last 20 years or so because Black players just learned to play QB 20 years ago?

Please.

I am agreeing with you in general, the comment about long term might mean they know Mayo could take a bit of time but will ultimately be very good.

The AFC East is also loaded right now but will probably be on the downswing in a year. Buffalo’s window will have mostly closed, the Jets have 1 to 2 years of Rodgers at best, and Miami has 1 year of cheap Tua before they need to give him a mega deal which really hurts their franchise since he’s average at best. If NE can build a solid and well rounded team that isn’t propped up on heavily backloaded deals then they could position themselves as the divisional power again with some time.

I like your optimistic take, Ross, but Mayo is less than a blank slate. You've got to figure a head coach with a very steep learning curve will progress considerably slower than someone with EXPERIENCE. Those other divisional teams will be thinking, "Well, with Belichick gone and a nobody coaching the team, what chance do THEY have?"

OK, so Kraft likes the guy and thinks he has potential. Fine. But he is far, far less qualified than a lot of prospects out there. Mayo just is not ready for such a monumental leap.

I wonder why Kraft held onto Bill last year if that was the case.
Loyalty, perhaps? He agreed to take on O'Brien, and keep Mac Jones as the QB in order to keep his job. Maybe that was enough for Kraft at the time. Also, it would have been a terrible look in the media, which we now know he cares about, very much.

Getting a Mike Singletary vibe about this Mayo secession plan.
LB----->LB coach------->HC

Fun Fact: 8 years after bombing as the SF HC, Samurai Mike accepted a high school HC position ......and proceeded to go 1-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe