PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Dane Fletcher Waived per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is different than Ballard. Ballard is signed through 2013. Fletcher is a free agent after this year with enough years to be an UFA. If someone signs him off waivers, they will only get him for this year where he will be on IR. without a new deal (which isn't going to happen), he will be free to sign with anyone next year.

Edit: actually, he would be a RFA. I thought this was his fourth year, but it is only his third.

Last edited:
Pure spite.

Then it would be pure stupidity. Great way to use up some significant cap space in a manner that does nothing for them.

I'm sure that Fletcher's best interest and the Pat's best interest were aligned through this move.

Seems to me like Belichick is fine with the possibility (probability?) that Fletcher is gone. That's fine - as much as I like him, there's something to be said for players who can't stay healthy. Two lost seasons has got to stunt his development, to say the very least.

Definitely a shame, and I had high hopes for him, but maybe he'll have better luck somewhere else.

Seems to me like Belichick is fine with the possibility (probability?) that Fletcher is gone. That's fine - as much as I like him, there's something to be said for players who can't stay healthy. Two lost seasons has got to stunt his development, to say the very least.

Definitely a shame, and I had high hopes for him, but maybe he'll have better luck somewhere else.

I just have to quibble with this. He couldn't stay healthy because he didn't have titanium knees and thumb? I don't believe players have tendencies to rip knees and thumbs off, it's just an unfortunate two occurrences of what is very common in a sport that is very physically taxing.

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but if you get hit by two buses, it doesn't indicate an inability to deal with bus impacts.

I just have to quibble with this. He couldn't stay healthy because he didn't have titanium knees and thumb? I don't believe players have tendencies to rip knees and thumbs off, it's just an unfortunate two occurrences of what is very common in a sport that is very physically taxing.

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but if you get hit by two buses, it doesn't indicate an inability to deal with bus impacts.

A big part of getting injured is due to the amount of tension a person holds in their body when a counter-pressure is applied, this is why drunks usually do MUCH better than sober people in car crashes, the drunk is relaxed and doesnt tense up. In boxing terms this is called 'rolling with the punches'.

A big part of getting injured is due to the amount of tension a person holds in their body when a counter-pressure is applied, this is why drunks usually do MUCH better than sober people in car crashes, the drunk is relaxed and doesnt tense up. In boxing terms this is called 'rolling with the punches'.

So Welker suddenly got tense?

I'm not trying to get into some physics argument here,just stating the obvious that ligaments will rip when forces are applied.

There are players that are injury prone, but violent injuries happen when body parts are ripped apart. if your foot is pinned under a 300 lb man and your body twisted by another three hundred pound man, I don't care if your on your tenth Yagermeister, you're ripping some ligament somewhere.

I'll miss Fletcher if he's signed elsewhere but I did often notice that he wasn't drunk enough while blitzing.

Nobody will take him. Ballard had huge upside. Some could even say he has all pro potential. Fletcher ceiling is a 4th LB.

No team is going to pay him to sit the entire season.

4th LB and ST ace. He is one of our best LBs in space, after Mayo, and that includes Spikes and Hightower. BB liked using Dane to spy running QBs like Vick.

I think Dane ends up signing a FA deal with the Pats in the next offseason for small money, and will be back in there competing for the 4th LB spot again in 2013 TC.

If he passes waivers can't Belichick put him on IR and extend him? I would think that the 2012 money would not need to be a large amount.

If we wait, I see no particular reason for him to come back for short money.

If we consider Fletcher a marginal player, this of course is a non-issue.

4th LB and ST ace. He is one of our best LBs in space, after Mayo, and that includes Spikes and Hightower. BB liked using Dane to spy running QBs like Vick.

I think Dane ends up signing a FA deal with the Pats in the next offseason for small money, and will be back in there competing for the 4th LB spot again in 2013 TC.

Last edited:

I'm not trying to get into some physics argument here,just stating the obvious that ligaments will rip when forces are applied.

There are players that are injury prone, but violent injuries happen when body parts are ripped apart. if your foot is pinned under a 300 lb man and your body twisted by another three hundred pound man, I don't care if your on your tenth Yagermeister, you're ripping some ligament somewhere.

RayClay, i see where the prior poster was coming from . . . no it does not apply in all cases, but if one tenses up it can lead to an injury . . .

Just imagine for a moment a ribbon tied between say two cars . . . if the two cars pull away from each other and make the ribbon tight and then taught under some stress . . . all that one would have to do to break the ribbon is to merely touch it with a knife at the edge to start a small cut and the ribbon will break upon the edge being cut . . . now if the ribbon is loose one will have to cut through the entire ribbon to break it . . .

similiar on certian occastions a tenden or musle might be under tension due to stress and it will take less effort to break it, like it does with the taught ribbon . . . i believe that was the point of the poster . . . not true in 100% of the atlhetes, but can be a factor in some of the injuries that we see .

oh great...thanx Yehoodi...I think I just "broke" my little Joker...:eek:

I'll miss Fletcher if he's signed elsewhere but I did often notice that he wasn't drunk enough while blitzing.

I'll assume that was "for a lack of a better term". ;)

So you believe guys should blitz blitzed?

Let's ask "Expert Reindeer"....

blitzen_reindeer_t_shirts_and_gifts_card-p137049994430936086envwi_400.jpg

I hope he clears as it would nice to put him on IR and bring him back into camp next season as, by all accounts, he was having a very good camp. This guy wreaks potential but he can't stay healthy. He's been very injury prone and we haven't got a great sample size of him as a regular season player.

I'm sure Belichick would love him to clear waivers but he's not an important enough piece to keep on the roster until after the first cut downs and especially not when we have a very thin O Line right now.

Last edited:

Welker was pushing off of that leg, so yes. He had done exactly that hundreds of times before and the leg held fine, that time it ripped.

Violent injuries do happen, you just described a situation where the pressure and counter-pressure come from 3rd parties, so there's little you can do, but some guys are also not good about going limp when they should and also about where they put themselves in relation to other players.

If he passes waivers can't Belichick put him on IR and extend him? I would think that the 2012 money would not need to be a large amount.

If we wait, I see no particular reason for him to come back for short money.

If we consider Fletcher a marginal player, this of course is a non-issue.

The reason would be because he's not going to get more than short money anywhere next season coming off an ACL as a former reserve LB and ST player... Better for him to attempt to do that on a team that knows him and whose defense and ST he has experience in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST