PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Cooper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Cooper clears waivers. He will be picked up by someone. Meanwhile i am still waiting to see more from this pass rush.

I don't think Cooper clears waivers. He will be picked up by someone. Meanwhile i am still waiting to see more from this pass rush.
Our pass rush from the DEs isn't particularly down compared to last season. What is down is the pressure from the LBs (due to Hightower's injury) and the interior with Hicks and Easley both somewhere else.

If someone claims Cooper off waivers, they are responsible for the remainder of the $2.3m guaranteed money. So the Pats would benefit from that.

If he clears waivers and signs with someone else for the minimum, the dead money hit for the Patriots is offset by that minimum salary.

If the Pats bring him back, no problem at all.

If no one claims Cooper and no one, including the Pats, resign him, then the entire 2.3 m dead cap hit remains with the Patriots, and it's also a sign that Cooper is pretty much done.

Yes he does. And the Patriots can elect to bring him back if they desire to do so. If another team signs him it will reduce the amount the Patriots have tied up to him.

If he is claimed on waivers, then what's left of his salary will get picked up by the claiming team. If he clears waivers, then he becomes a Free Agent, and the Pats still have to pay him his salary ( @$2.3 million).

IF the Pat's bring him back, they would still have to pay him and he would still carry his 2.3 million cap charge, BUT the would have yo sign him to a new contract, which would cost the more money and more cap space.

Our pass rush from the DEs isn't particularly down compared to last season. What is down is the pressure from the LBs (due to Hightower's injury) and the interior with Hicks and Easley both somewhere else.

I wanna see more from our DEs though. I don't remember the last time we create more pressure from the interior. The tackles where awful against the bills. I hope they start playing alot better

"************"

He was fully healthy and training at starting position at the time!

Was still a GREAT trade. Pats got a starting lg with a mankins mean streak(obviously not saying hel'll be in mankins class, but i believe will be at least solid), added the best wr theyve drafted since je11 but the most important part was the flexibility to sign their BIG 3- ON DEFENSE-butler, collins and high-all 3 probowlers and while jones was good(but erratic) hes not in the same class as any of those 3. There was no way they were going to sign him. Imo BB raped arizona.

People expected him to get cut in the final roster cut downs when he couldnt even get out of the tub.

Color me surprised that he's even lasted this long to begin with.

If he is claimed on waivers, then what's left of his salary will get picked up by the claiming team. If he clears waivers, then he becomes a Free Agent, and the Pats still have to pay him his salary ( @$2.3 million).

IF the Pat's bring him back, they would still have to pay him and he would still carry his 2.3 million cap charge, BUT the would have yo sign him to a new contract, which would cost the more money and more cap space.
So they can't "move him on/off the roster freely" as Lombardi said.

So they can't "move him on/off the roster freely" as Lombardi said.
It's what they do with PS and non guaranteed deals with players all the time. No biggie.

All this second guessing of BB on this move... way after the fact... when we still have lots of potential production from the players acquired... is making me... uh...

giphy-3.gif

...crazy.

o_O

Didn't BB turn Zona's 2nd round pick into Thuney and Mitchell ? Cooper was just a player Zona didn't want.........and now we possibly are worried about it?????

Seems to me BB made out in this trade......

Right now, his 2.3 million still counts against the Pat's cap. So basically they cut a guy and received ZERO cap relief for cutting him, which of course means the cut was performance related and not financially related.

No, it doesn't mean that the cut was performance related.

How is trading Chandler Jones for the 63rd pick in the draft and a 2.3 million dollar cap hit a good trade? THey could have kept Jones for less than 5 million more in cap space and still got a third round comp pick for him if he left in Free Agency.

You ignore the elephants in the room:

1. It was one year of Jones, not a full contract.
  2. Instead of a comp 3rd, they got a 2nd and a 4th.
  3. Jones was wildly overrated by many on this board, apparently including you.
  4. Cooper + Thuney + Mitchell combine to be less money against the cap than Jones' number.

The perfect twist of this saga would be if they bring him back on a new deal that goes beyond 2016 ..

So what team do you think was trying to sign Woody Hamlton that caused Patriots to promote him and demote Cooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes