PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
3 QB's:
1) the free agent
2) the draftee
3) usually a late draft pick, UDFA, minor free agent

THE FREE AGENT OR TRADE
There isn't much there other than Brissette (a fine choice and Mayfield (who will probably resign.
I'm not ready to pay Cousins the $35M he probably wants.

A trade would be costly for anyone of value

THE DRAFTEE
A) any of the top 3 if they are available through pick or trade. We would expect thie player to start late in the season or in 2025.
B) The next level QB should be there between 20 and 45. We could trade down in the first and take one, or trade up with our second, or simply wait until or 2nd, Obviously, this depends on how particular we are. If there are 3 or 4 that we like, then we have great flexibily, then great. If there is one or 2, less flexibiity.
C) We always can take a flyer in the 4th or 5th, as we have done in the past.
=================
WHERE DOES ZAPPE FIT IN?
Could Zappe be the "veteran" expected to start for the beginning of the season and until the draftee can beat him out? Obviously, this would be the plan with a top 3 QB, but certainly seems reasonable with a the second tier. In any case, could Zappe be expected to be our #2, with the idea of looking for a QB again in 2025 if we find the need?

Last edited:
3 QB's:
1) the free agent
2) the draftee
3) usually a late draft pick, UDFA, minor free agent

THE FREE AGENT OR TRADE
There isn't much there other than Brissette (a fine choice and Mayfield (who will probably resign.
I'm not ready to pay Cousins the $35M he probably wants.

A trade would be costly for anyone of value

THE DRAFTEE
A) any of the top 3 if they are available through pick or trade. We would expect thie player to start late in the season or in 2025.
B) The next level QB should be there between 20 and 45. We could trade down in the first and take one, or trade up with our second, or simply wait until or 2nd, Obviously, this depends on how particular we are. If there are 3 or 4 that we like, then we have great flexibily, then great. If there is one or 2, less flexibiity.
C) We always can take a flyer in the 4th or 5th, as we have done in the past.
=================
WHERE DOES ZAPPE FIT IN?
Could Zappe be the "veteran" expected to start for the beginning of the season and until the draftee can beat him out? Obviously, this would be the plan with a top 3 QB, but certainly seems reasonable with a the second tier. In any case, could Zappe be expected to be our #2, with the idea of looking for a QB again in 2025 if we find the need?
If the Pats win out it’s likely the job is Zappe’s to lose.

I think the three categories are really:
1. Incumbents - the guys already on the roster
2. Veterans - acquired as FA or trade
3. Rookies - drafted or UDFA

I expect the Pats will have two incumbents going into 2024. They presently have three, with Jones looking like a sure bet to be gone. Zappe and Rourke will probably stay on the roster until camp.

that leaves two more to be acquired, most likely one vet and one rookie, although two rookies might be a possibility. Rookies are primarily developmental projects. Even a first round QB needs to learn how to be a pro QB. That’s why having an incumbent or a bridge QB is so valuable. Zappe is at least such a player, with unknown upside. Thing is, even though many are quick to assert Zappe’s upside is limited that remains to be proven. So far he’s continued to improve even through last night.

I expect the Pats will have two incumbents going into 2024. They presently have three, with Jones looking like a sure bet to be gone. Zappe and Rourke will probably stay on the roster until camp.

that leaves two more to be acquired, most likely one vet and one rookie, although two rookies might be a possibility.
If Jayden Daniels can be obtained with our slotted 1st round pick (or trading back into the 1st round for him), and he turns out to be a stud (or shows signs of it in camp), Zappe can play for the year while Daniels learns. That's of course if he's even there when we do pick in our slotted 1st round pick. And I agree, we should draft a QB in the later rounds as well.

that leaves two more to be acquired, most likely one vet and one rookie, although two rookies might be a possibility. Rookies are primarily developmental projects. Even a first round QB needs to learn how to be a pro QB. That’s why having an incumbent or a bridge QB is so valuable. Zappe is at least such a player, with unknown upside. Thing is, even though many are quick to assert Zappe’s upside is limited that remains to be proven. So far he’s continued to improve even through last night.
Even if the Pats win out, it shouldn't impact the plan to draft a top QB. Being able to count on Zappe to hold the fort and develop into the capable veteran backup to the franchise QB would a big a win for the team and helps preserve resources for other positions.

1. Incumbent/defacto starter - Zappe, trade or release Mac
2. Veteran - cheap veteran if top pick in draft this year, spend more if no top pick
3. Draft - Draft a QB that the team likes, pass on investing a high draft choice on someone the team does have conviction on, take flyers on lower round prospects for the practice squad

My main objection to PeniX is injury. He'd be a great pick up with his whole rookie year on the bench.

Even if the Pats win out, it shouldn't impact the plan to draft a top QB. Being able to count on Zappe to hold the fort and develop into the capable veteran backup to the franchise QB would a big a win for the team and helps preserve resources for other positions.

1. Incumbent/defacto starter - Zappe, trade or release Mac
2. Veteran - cheap veteran if top pick in draft this year, spend more if no top pick
3. Draft - Draft a QB that the team likes, pass on investing a high draft choice on someone the team does have conviction on, take flyers on lower round prospects for the practice squad
Waste of a draft pick, at least until we prove Zappe is not the next franchise QB. There are too many other needs to spend a draft pick on a position of lesser need.

First 2 Rounders need to play not be on bench. I am thinking we will draft a qb with our 3rd rounder and possibly 6th and 7th rounder. They expect this season to also be a build up season and zappe to be the veteran. If zappe develops its great else we draft a QB in 2025 if the ones drafted in 2024 do not show any promise. Who knows we get lucky like 49ers and find our Purdy and unearth 2 offensive gems in R1 And R2.

First 2 Rounders need to play not be on bench. I am thinking we will draft a qb with our 3rd rounder and possibly 6th and 7th rounder. They expect this season to also be a build up season and zappe to be the veteran. If zappe develops its great else we draft a QB in 2025 if the ones drafted in 2024 do not show any promise. Who knows we get lucky like 49ers and find our Purdy and unearth 2 offensive gems in R1 And R2.
The 49ers spent a lot to draft a QB in the top three and then got very, very lucky with Purdy.

If BB is still the 2024 NEP HC/GM which I believe he will be.

1- Zappe isnt going anywhere. He has the most experience in the NEP system. It does not mean that 4 is the starter.
2 -The Pats will bring in a Vet QB to compete.
3 -The Pats will draft a QB, but it wont be in early rounds.

BOB is offered and accepts a HC job in the NCAA and Josh McDaniel's returns to be NEP OC.

Waste of a draft pick, at least until we prove Zappe is not the next franchise QB. There are too many other needs to spend a draft pick on a position of lesser need.
The team has 2 years experience with Zappe and knows what it has and the reason Mac had such a long rope. I am glad that Zappe is starting and doing ok. Clearly, the team is responding. The reality is that Zappe's best asset is that he is not Mac, starting with being able to deal with adversity without hyperventilating. Drafting a QB is different than other positions. Passing on a player that the team likes, will delay the process of finding the right QB. Worst case the new guy has time to develop as Zappe's backup.

Zappe and Mayfield (if under $10m/year) to compete, Bo Nix to learn.

It's very likely Mac is still on the roster next year though. We would be selling low, very low, right now.

It's very likely Mac is still on the roster next year though. We would be selling low, very low, right now.
And still getting more than he’s worth.

when your hand is busted it’s time to fold.

And still getting more than he’s worth.

when your hand is busted it’s time to fold.
Yea it’s like stocks.

Some stocks rebound and you can regain some of your losses. Some just never do and you have to accept it.

Of course unlike stocks, Mac has to play to get his value up and that’s just not going to happen. He’s basically a sunk cost for next year so maybe they let him go through TC and see if he improved. Have him look good in pre-season and trade, but even then it’s equivalent to holding $60 AMC stocks and hopefully selling at $15 instead of $5

You have to get rid of Mac Jones. His sourpuss can't be on the team next year.

Here's a little thought experiment about Belichick and his QBs (yes, this is rose-colored glasses defending Belichick but I'd argue this is looking at winning % when Belichick starts a QB that actually executes his gameplan).

I'm lumping a few QBs together into the "COULD NOT DO WHAT BELICHICK ASKED" camp: He inherited Kosar and Bledsoe and did poorly with them. He chose Mac but did very poorly with him (we don't know if there was any internal pressure to stick with him; I tend to doubt it despite what the Boston media guys are saying).

Combined, their records are (11-18, 5-13, 18-24) 34-55 or a 38% winning %. All 3 of these guys were interception machines. Bernie threw a pick per game.

If you look at the record with the 4 QBs that were careful with the ball and that Belichick preferred, you have 4-2 Zappe, 11-5 Cassel, 3-1 Garoppolo and Brissett. The record: 18-8 (70%).

This becomes even more interesting if you include the Vinny Testaverde years prior to the last one where Modell announced the move in the middle of the night and the team unraveled: 12-7. The Browns' performance turned up as soon as they switched from Kosar to Testaverde. The switch was pivotal. The winning % of all 5 QBs combined is 67% (30-15). Well below Brady's 74% but it's enough to get you into the playoffs.

If BB is still the 2024 NEP HC/GM which I believe he will be.

1- Zappe isnt going anywhere. He has the most experience in the NEP system. It does not mean that 4 is the starter.
2 -The Pats will bring in a Vet QB to compete.
3 -The Pats will draft a QB, but it wont be in early rounds.

BOB is offered and accepts a HC job in the NCAA and Josh McDaniel's returns to be NEP OC.
Ha ha ha..

I don't believe BB is here in 2024. Agreed a vet will be here Brissett, Wilson or someone with pedigree in the NFL. I'll agree it won't be early rounds they draft a guy.

I'm more concerned with who the team brings in as FA. I think we can all agree we need upgrades at WR, LT primarily.

On defense.. you'll hear it from me 1st. TRADE FOR JHAIRE in green bay to pair with Gonzo.

Mac presents a real dilemma. Most everyone has concluded he'll be gone next season, but will he be traded or could he be cut outright? Is there any chance he could be rehabilitated here? It might depend on who the coach is. But getting SOME return for Mac via trade seems mandatory.

Signs are pointing toward BOB returning as OC, so that will factor in yet it's unclear what he'd want without BB breathing down his neck. That is, assuming BB's gone and Mayo/whomever will defer to BOB's control of the offense.

Zappe and a draftee seem safe to assume at this point. I would love seeing Mayfield here but I suspect he'll remain in Tampa. I don't like Brissett's game although bringing a veteran into camp to duke it out with Zappe while the rookie sits and learns seems reasonable. That is, assuming Mac's gone. Otherwise, we might be looking at Mac, Zappe and a rookie -- three less than ideal prospects for starting the season.

Drake Maye is NFL-ready and much more capable than Bailey Zappe of being an NFL starter. See this Yahoo! story with video: 2024 NFL mock draft: Why Drake Maye is the man for Chicago, while the top 10 is a run on offense

Or see The Athletic story at the end of this post.

The biggest question for me is whether a) a poor offensive line, and b) a coaching upheaval is going to result in better or worse environment for Drake Maye as a rookie. If a rookie QB is going to be battered in New England the way another solid UNC QB Sam Howell gets hammered every week in Washington, then it's hard to see anybody succeeding.

The Patriots need to bring in top-flight offensive linemen. Period.

If Bill O'Brien stays, Drake Maye or another rookie will be in good hands. This where Bill Belichick as GM rubber really hits the road in 2024. Belichick has to commit to the success of his young QBs and that comes with a sound offensive line and veteran support at the skill positions. The current RBs will be fine, the TEs are fine, and another veteran WR to team with Bourne, a healthy Smith-Schuster, Douglas and Parker could go a long way. Drake Maye would bring out the best in those guys.

Last edited:
Drake Maye is NFL-ready and much more capable than Bailey Zappe of being an NFL starter. See this Yahoo! story with video: 2024 NFL mock draft: Why Drake Maye is the man for Chicago, while the top 10 is a run on offense

Or see The Athletic story at the end of this post.

The biggest question for me is whether a) a poor offensive line, and b) a coaching upheaval is going to result in better or worse environment for Drake Maye as a rookie. If a rookie QB is going to be battered in New England the way another solid UNC QB Sam Howell gets hammered every week in Washington, then it's hard to see anybody succeeding.

The Patriots need to bring in top-flight offensive linemen. Period.

If Bill O'Brien stays, Drake Maye or another rookie will be in good hands. This where Bill Belichick as GM rubber really hits the road in 2024. Belichick has to commit to the success of his young QBs and that comes with a sound offensive line and veteran support at the skill positions. The current RBs will be fine, the TEs are fine, and another veteran WR to team with Bourne, a healthy Smith-Schuster, Douglas and Parker could go a long way. Drake Maye would bring out the best in those guys.

Parker and juju are question marks to me. They are 3 or 4s on any other team. I'd say KB , Douglas, FA WR, draft pick,

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back