PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone else concerned about the Fins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This game scares me. I don't care what their record is, the Fins play the Pats tougher than any team in the league, except Denver.

For whatever reason every crappy QB they have seemed to have the game of his life vs the Pats. And now they have Culpepper, who although has been awful this season, does have skills. If Ferotte can throw for 300 vs the Pats, any Miami QB can. Also it is well know that Light has trouble against Taylor, probably more than any other dlineman. and the Fins play Brady better than anyone including Denver.

Plus the Dolphins are the classic wounded animal right now, they are playng for their season, and will come out desperate and play hard.

I think everyone here is chalking this game up for a win, I think it will be a battle. I was more sure of a Pats victory last week than this week.

Is anyone else concerned or is it just me.

It's really simple. Run the ball & we should win handily. Miami's D is not capable of doing so therefore we win big.

Yes. Miami has a good defense and has been doing well stopping the run.
They are 7th in overall defense and allowing only allowing 3.0 yds/carry.

The problem with Miami has been shooting themselves in the foot. Last
week Culpepper did better and had a high 80's rating. If their offense
can start clicking they could be a problem next week. I think they will
have to score at least 17 points. A couple of breaks and it could be a
close game.
But I would have to say the only way I see them winning is if PATs really
have an off day both on defense and offense. PATs should win this but
.... that's why they play the game.

Here is another thread on this ... started earlier

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=42806

Count me as one who's concerned. First off, Miami are always tough home and away. The passing attack needs to be near its best because I'll go ahead and predict that Maroney/Dillon will not be as effective against the Dolphins as they were against the Bengals.

We're lucking out though, that even by Miami's standards, their offense is putrid. Get to Culpepper all day and they shouldn't put but ten points on the board. This game is likely going to be a defensive struggle, but if our offense is firing on all cylinders then it has a chance to be a blowout.

Sure I'm concerned. They're playing defense as well as any team and allowing 3.0 YPC. And their coach knows our coach as well as any man alive. Sure their offense blows but with Brown, Chambers and McMichael we'd better not return to our tacking/blown coverage issues because they do have the skill guys to score points if we aren't playing good defense.

while I can see the dolphins being up for this game - because it's the pats, and because they are now fighting for their lives, I think with it being in foxboro, and with the pats wanting the win badly as well, and with the dolphins playing so badly, I think we'll see the pats handle their business in this one.

the pats won't be ****y and caught by surprise. they'll come out fired up and ready to battle hard to earn the 'w' and stake claim to the divsion's early lead.

that's my guess.

Oh, yes, definitely.

First, I'm ALWAYS concerned about the Patriots' opponents, and we've seen enough of the Fins in the past to know not to underestimate their motivation against us. Then there is Saban's need to make a statement.

On the other hand, I'm still excited by what I saw on Sunday. People have started talking down the win by blaming the Bengals (how many times have we heard it in the past -- "the Patriots didn't beat us, we beat ourselves"?).

People, the Bengals were up for that game, at least initially, and, if you remember, they definitely won the opening exchanges on points. And I don't care how much of a "let-down" they had after the previous week, a team that beats Pittsbugh at Heinz Field does NOT have a negligible run defense.

The Pats showed concentration, resilience, depth (if I recall correctly, Jarvis and TBC were hardly in the game early on) and flexibility (some of the offensive play-calling brought back memories of Charlie Weis (that's a GOOD THING, by the way, NEM!)). In the end, they had too much fire-power in too many areas for the Bengals and it got ugly for them. That's why it was such a wonderful win.

We can't rest on it and you're right, Miami will be tough, but I'm looking forward to seeing if the Pats can continue their progress and come up with even more variations and ways to involve all their players.

Roll on Sunday! Go Pats!

Last edited:
This one has me a little worried.

The big thing is how the OL's play. If our OL shows up the way it did last week, then our offense is going to be able to score points. Maybe not a lot and not with so much ground game, but it will be enough. If the OL shows up the same way it did against Denver, this will not be pretty. But I can take an ugly win if that what it takes.

If Miami's OL shows up the way it has so far this season, our DL is going to have a field day. Culpeper will be running for his life and Brown is going to need a stretcher. If somehow thier OL finds some sense of cohesion, then they have a decent shot of generating offense through the air.

In the end, this has all the marking of an ugly defensive field position game. Ghost is going to have to step up this week. If we are lucky that sorry excuse for turf we saw on Sunday Night will be replaced and our guys can find some footing.

But it is certainly not an automatic win.

No

________

I would be more concerned if the Dolphins had shown me anything so far. Even if they play with the desperation of a potentially lost season I still can't see them beating the Pats. Yeah I know the Dolphins always play them tough and that Brady struggles against them but I still have a hard time taking them seriously.

Maybe if I thought the Pats were taking them lightly, then I might be concerned. I don't think we have to worry about that because 1) BB won't let them 2) It's Pats-Dolphins and 3) they have the bye week to take football lightly

Makes me think of the blonde in the Vonage commercial who upon seeing Fins assumes they're playful Dolphins.

Somehow I credit the Pats coaching staff and the veteran players with enough sense not to fall into any type of 'trap' game lunacy. BB is probably motivating the players saying if you practise well this week and play well Sunday, I'll cut a practise day out of the bye week.

Division games are typically tough. Remember some of the fits we used to give the divisional opponents back when we were a terrible franchise.

Before we go overboard on the Miami run defense let's not forget they've played both Ten and Houston, 2 of the worst teams in the league. Against Pit they gave up 143 yards rushing and an average of 3.8. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/MIA)IMO Pats running game is better then Pits. They did better against Buffalo giving up 105 yards with a 3.3 average but then who really worries about defending Losman. They held Ten to 62 yards for 2.8 and Hou to 65 with a 2.0 avg. New England has not only a better rushing attack then any of these teams but a better QB. If Miami tries to put 8 in the box to stop the run Brady IMO will pick their corners apart. If they don't bring the guys up Dillon/Maroney will have a field day. Add the fact that the Miami offense won't be a help keeping the defense rested and I think it may be close for a half but the Pats will wear them down just like they did Cincy.

Last edited:
I, like some others, am ALWAYS concerned. This is the NFL and anything can happen any game (a cliche, but true), never mind the fact that the Fins almost always play us very tough and Brady's worst games usually come against Miami.

I'm hoping we have our usual one-crappy-game-per-season behind us already.

Sure I'm concerned. This is a team with some good talent and coaching that finds itself in an absolutely desperate situation. The Fins lose and they're staring up at 1-4 with the likes of Chicago, Jacksonville, New England and Indianapolis left on their schedule. They MUST have this game. Plus BB's keep-em-guessing, game-planning ways tend to be somewhat negated against similarly shifty coaches (see Shanahan, Mike).

That being said, the Patriots' D-line vs. the Dolphins' O-line is a spectacular mismatch that should be tough for Miami to overcome.

As a natural-born-pessimist I have already started worrying that this is to be the break out game in Miami for Culpepper; that Ronnie Brown will begin to show the spark of last season; that our running game will stall against a toughish D.

My head tells me we are a lock for this game. My fragile and oft-broken Patriots heart is worrying the hell out of me. As it does every week.

Not sure is "scares me" are the right words, but some teams no matter how bad or how good they are currently playing always seem to give specific opponents trouble. Kind of like Jacksonville and Indy... Miami defense has always given the Patriots fits. Brady has had some of his worst games against the Miami secondary. So just like Denver, these are one of those games that will always be tough for the Patriots !! And if it turns out to be a defensive battle it could be pretty much anyone's game.

Daunte Culpepper.

ha-ha... bwa-hah-ha... BWWAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAA :singing:

Peter Pat said:
This game scares me. I don't care what their record is, the Fins play the Pats tougher than any team in the league, except Denver.

For whatever reason every crappy QB they have seemed to have the game of his life vs the Pats. And now they have Culpepper, who although has been awful this season, does have skills. If Ferotte can throw for 300 vs the Pats, any Miami QB can. Also it is well know that Light has trouble against Taylor, probably more than any other dlineman. and the Fins play Brady better than anyone including Denver.

Plus the Dolphins are the classic wounded animal right now, they are playng for their season, and will come out desperate and play hard.

I think everyone here is chalking this game up for a win, I think it will be a battle. I was more sure of a Pats victory last week than this week.

Is anyone else concerned or is it just me.

It's funny...I posted earlier today how the Fins coming to Foxboro this week smeels alot like the Pats heading into Cincy last week...

ADPF

Miami will play their butts off and keep it close, but their OLine and the statue that is Culpepper will get knocked down at least 5 times. Close early, Pats win late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft