PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone else concerned about the Fins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really get why people still talk about Brady tending to struggle vs. the Dolphins.

What do they think it is that makes him struggle, the ugly teal uniforms?

This isn't even close to the same defense it was that Brady struggled against from '01-'04. Most importantly, it's an entirely different scheme from the one Jim Bates installed in '00, a relatively simple two-deep zone scheme that for some reason gave Brady fits. You also have an entirely different secondary than the ones that pestered Tom -- heck, there's only one guy in the 2ndary who started for the Dolphins last year, let alone before that.

You also have 5 out of 4 different starters in the front 7 from the Bates' defenses.

I'm not saying Saban + Capers' new defense can't trouble Brady, or that he's going to light it up on Sunday... I'm just saying with new schemes + new personnell, Brady's prior performances don't come into play.

Nasty m8, unless you're a robot the past always affects your future.

Positive, negative, or no affect is something we can't see or predict.?

Well its clear that Culpepper's no Gus Ferrotte, but Any Given Sunday should be the motto of the NFL

And without fail, every season, teams win some games they are supposed to lose and lose games they are supposed to win... which is why we take every game seriously

Miami always plays us tough. Their backs are against the wall, their season in the balance. And, the first few weeks notwithstanding, Saban knows what he's doing. This will be a TOUGH game.

The Pats running game is rounding into shape, but has yet to thrive against a defense worth its salt. Buffalo, Jets and Cinci are all sisters of the poor when it comes to run D. Miami, on the other hand, is extremely stout, allowing only 3.0 yards per carry, top 5 in the league. Miami's weakness on D is the secondary, mostly communication weaknesses, and the lack of a playmaker. The Pats will throw early to score in this game, taking the Phins by surprise. The Dolphins will anticipate a run-oriented gameplan from the Pats after watching the ground display against Cinci, and plan for it all week. The Pats will fool them, possibly with the no-huddle early in the game, and I believe C. Jackson will be active and prominently used for the first time.
As for the Phins, they are a fragile team in an emotional crisis. An early deficit would destroy them and may cause a mild sideline mutiny. Saban knows this. Saban has aready diagnosed his team's problems. He knows Mularkey's a mess and a major cause of the team's offensive struggles, and already regrets the hire. Saban knows he has to get an early lead in this game, to rescue the fragile psyche of his players, and he will throw deep to get it from the get go, probably via a trick play such as a flea flicker. To supplement that or set it up, Saban is going to get R. Brown much more involved than in past 4 games, hoping to get him at least 30 touches via run/pass. The season is on the line for him and he will use up this shiny toy Mularkey had been inexplicably neglecting. The Miami offense from now on will be focused on Brown and not the feeble Culpepper.
The lack of Hobbs may hurt the Pats vs Chambers, who possesses more raw speed than C. Johnson and Houshmanzadeh, though less skilfull hands. Once again the key is getting to Culpepper, specifically pressure up the middle, which is why the 4 man front makes more sense to start this game so as to rattle him early, though some 3-4 may be in line later to befuddle even more the clueless Miami QB. If the Phins struggle early, falling behind and showing impotence on offense, Saban will throw Harrington in after halftime without hesitation. Saban is merciless and the only ego that matters is his own. "His" season is on the line. If Culpepper struggles, this will be the big fella's last game for some time. Either he will be outright benched at halftime, or an injury will be invented to save him some embarassment; then, weeks from now, when his knee is healthier, more mobile, he will be given back the starting job.
Once the Pats establish an early lead via the pass, they will begin mixing in the run, and as Miami's frustration grows the Pats will move almost exclusively to the run. By then tackles will be missed, cutback lanes will be overrun, and Miami may even roll over in despair. Call it domination. 27-13 Pats.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Miami always plays us tough. Their backs are against the wall, their season in the balance. And, the first few weeks notwithstanding, Saban knows what he's doing. This will be a TOUGH game.

Why do you say this? What does this mean, exactly? Who is this "Miami" that always plays us tought?

Seriously -- there are literally only a small handfull of players who were on the Dolphins in '04. There's a new HC, DC, and OC and I don't know how many new position coaches.

What exactly does this team have to do with the old teams that "always played us tough?"

I'm not saying it won't be a tough matchup -- as you point out, Miami's backs are against the wall -- I just don't get that one rationale.

Concerned before the season started when the Dolphins were being so hyped. But now after 4 games, NO. I've seen all their games and while I expect a good game from them, I don't see any area of advantage for the Dolphins other than their field goal kicker. IMO we are clearly the superior team and it is totally up to us to win or lose. If we have a great day like against Cinci we win by 14+. If we have an average day we win by 7+. If we come out flat we win by 3+. If Tom Brady, Maroney, Dillon, Seymour and Bill Belichick over sleep and miss they game the Dolphins MAY win.

Dolphins Offensive Line - F
Dolphins Run game - D
Dolphins Passing attack - C
Dolphins Front Seven - B
Dolphins Secondary - D
Dolphins Kicking - B+
Dolphins Coaching - D (Saban has made numerous blunders this year. Ex. starting Dante too soon, 2 point conversion last week, hiring Mularkey, etc.)

Last edited:
worried about fins for one reason only

The only reason why im worried about the fins is because its a game where everyone thinks the pats are going to blow them out like they did cincy. A big reason why the patriots won the cincy game is because of all the doubters, and the talk that the pats didnt have a chance. Brady plays his best and so does the rest of the team when people talk smack about how bad there playing, and how they dont have a chance to win. So this week iam worried because im scared the pats are going to come out flat, and think that it should be a walk in t:bricks: he park........Another thing is that i think culpepper is eventually going to have a break out game.

PonyExpress said:
The Pats running game is rounding into shape, but has yet to thrive against a defense worth its salt. Buffalo, Jets and Cinci are all sisters of the poor .

I agree with most of the rest of your take but I wouldn't include Buffalo in your sisters against the run comment. They actually are one spot ahead of Denver in Rushing D. Buf gives up 103 a game with a 4.1 avg while Den gives up 106.7 for a 3.9 avg.

Re: worried about fins for one reason only

frankiesfly said:
The only reason why im worried about the fins is because its a game where everyone thinks the pats are going to blow them out like they did cincy. A big reason why the patriots won the cincy game is because of all the doubters, and the talk that the pats didnt have a chance. Brady plays his best and so does the rest of the team when people talk smack about how bad there playing, and how they dont have a chance to win. So this week iam worried because im scared the pats are going to come out flat, and think that it should be a walk in t:bricks: he park........Another thing is that i think culpepper is eventually going to have a break out game.

I don't really understand this statement. Brady has played very well in many games where the Pats were not doubted and it was assumed they would win. You are not going to be an underdog a whole lot after winning 3 of the last 5 Superbowls but Brady still performs well in most games. I think Brady plays well in games where they are favored AND where they are doubted.

This kinda reminds me of a question Brady was asked in the post game conference after the win against Pittsburgh in the 2004 AFC Championship game. A reporter asked him why the team does so much better in the postseason than the regular season and Brady's answer was we've had two pretty good regular seasons. The team had gone 14-2 the past two seasons. It's not like Brady does bad in games the team is favored to win.

Last edited:
Peter Pat said:
I tend to agree with everyone, that the Pats will prevail in a hard fought game, pulling away in the 4th quarter.

Do we get to vote on what kind of game it'll be?

If So, I'd like to order a 98-0 pats victory. It's the only game I'll get to go to this year -- it'd be nice to see something insanely cool. Even if it's a bit gawdy.

Cant add much to whats already been stated here,but the Finns always play us tough as I recall,we seem to have a way of making their Qb's look all-world,for some reason....

One thing I would be disappointed with is coaching if they come out
and keep trying to run the ball if it's not working. That mentality killed them
in the Denver game. IMO

JR4 said:
One thing I would be disappointed with is coaching if they come out
and keep trying to run the ball if it's not working. That mentality killed them
in the Denver game. IMO

What are you talking about? Brady threw for a career record tying 55 times that night!

damned right I'm concerned--the Dolphins ALWAYS play Matt Cassell tough...

oh...wait...

Culpepper will be trying on his Jarvis Green jersey because he likes how McMichael looks in his Rodney Harrison jersey...

Pats fans aren't the only ones concerned...

The team isn't underestimating the Dolphins either...

Pats aren't underestimating Phins
The Patriots and the Dolphins will meet for the 82nd time in history on Sunday. The Pats have beaten the Dolphins in five of the last seven games, and are the clear-cut favorite in this matchup. However, the Patriots aren't taking the game lightly. They're trying to prepare for the unexpected against a team that will do all it can to confuse the Pats.

Even though the 3-1 Patriots are a strong favorite against the 1-3 Dolphins, nobody on the team is underestimating them.

“Whoever plays better on Sunday, that's who will win the game,†said coach Belichick on Wednesday. “Records mean nothing. Go back to two years ago. We were 12-1 going down there and they were 2-11. Everybody in [the press room] already had the story written and we got beat 29-28. Don't tell me about records. Don't tell me about streaks. Don't tell me about last week. None of that means anything. It doesn't mean one thing in a football game. The only thing that matters is which team goes out there and plays better on Sunday.â€

Link to full story,

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=21602&pcid=41

I have to agree with Nasty on this one. This is a different Dolphins team and organization.

I really think this site is suffering from a few too many mini-BBs. It is ok for fans to say the opponent sucks. Just because I might be taking the Dolphins lightly doesn't mean the team is.

Just because I have yet to see a prediction thread posted...
Pats 24
Phins 13

bakes781 said:
Just because I have yet to see a prediction thread posted...
Pats 24
Phins 13

Patience. Alamo usually creates the prediction thread on Fridays, sometimes Saturday mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News