PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ingram's Roster Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attribute his bad game to the altitude.......

oh..San Diego....

Nevermind

Ingram was near perfect last year. He deserves a chance to correct his problems.

If you think this is all people have to complain about, check out the game thread.

Sorry, my sarcasm did not come thru in the short post. There was plenty to complain about IMO, the long snapper is far down the list.

Last edited:
If Belichick could just have one of the other player be at least as good a snapper as Ingram, then that player would be snapping. It is really that simple. Belichick has always thaought that long snapping was worth a roster spot.
And you know this how?

BB has always thought that you don't draft OGs in the first round.

BB has always thought you don't draft ILBs in the first round.

BB has always thought that you need experienced OLBs, that the position is too complicated for rookies.

The list of things we know about how BB thinks in a long and incorrect one.

Here's what I think about BB thought processes: I don't believe that BB decides something and then sticks with that decision for the rest of his life. I believe he in constantly self-evaluating his decisions and philosophies.

He may stick with Ingram, but I doubt it is because he decided back as the Browns HC that LS was worth a roster spot and now thinks he is stuck with that decision.

And you know this how?

BB has always thought that you need experienced OLBs, that the position is too complicated for rookies.

Here's what I think about BB thought processes: I don't believe that BB decides something and then sticks with that decision for the rest of his life. I believe he in constantly self-evaluating his decisions and philosophies.

He may stick with Ingram, but I doubt it is because he decided back as the Browns HC that LS was worth a roster spot and now thinks he is stuck with that decision.

thats why he is the best coach in the game

Knee jerk reactions much? I'm just glad that Zoltan was able to cover for Ingram's mistakes this week, because those bad snaps easily could have resulted in blocked punts. The FG snaps seemed ok to me, and that's fortunate because one missed or blocked FG could also have meant the game. Ingram had issues this week and hopefully he can correct them. If not, I'm sure BB will look into alternatives.

And you know this how?

thats why he is the best coach in the game:cool:

Apparently, this is NOT the case. Don't you think that Belichick has considered saving a roster spot? Belichick has been working on roster allocation for 40 years, He understands the issues involved.

We have one of the best OL coaches in the nfl in dante. He has always had a fine training program for OL's. Yet, we still need a separate long snapper. And the backup deep snapper this year is a linebacker.

I could see us bringing in a half dozen sanppers to try to find an upgrade, but deep sanpaaing is a separate skill. Ingram did well last year, is having problems this year and was a disaster yesterday. Dante has to figure out how to solve this or Ninkoivch should snapping. Alternatively, someone new can be brought in.

I can see not wanting to use your starting center, but we have backup centers, no? If a center can shotgun snap 8 yards deep, he can learn to snap 15-18 yards deep.

Last edited:
Knee jerk reactions much? I'm just glad that Zoltan was able to cover for Ingram's mistakes this week, because those bad snaps easily could have resulted in blocked punts. The FG snaps seemed ok to me, and that's fortunate because one missed or blocked FG could also have meant the game. Ingram had issues this week and hopefully he can correct them. If not, I'm sure BB will look into alternatives.

This wasn't Ingram's 1st poor performance of the year.

Paxton allowed you to go about your game without even thinking about the snap. He was, arguably, the best in the business. Belichick did not consider that important enough to pay what was needed to keep him.

Ingram's what the team has. With luck, this is just a rough patch and he'll turn it around soon.

I once heard the ST coach was teaching him to lower the height of his snap so the wind affects it less. His bad snaps may be a result of changing the way he snaps.

everyone is saying he is bad. A bad long snapper would get punts blocked and kicks screwed up he's not that bad.

and for those that say anyone can do it you try to throw a ball between your legs 7-15 yards accuratly with out looking while you do it then within a millisecond get hands up and ready to block

Pay me a few hundred thousand dollars a year to figure it out and I bet I could. The fact that none of those punts were botched is just a testament to Mesko's hands, because Ingram was a disaster yesterday. I'll be relieved if he's cut this week.

One blocked point could have easily been the difference between a win and a loss in yesterday's game. I thought Ingram was solid last year. O'Brien has done a good job coaching special teams; I would think he will be able to work with Ingram this week and get him back on track.

As for the idea of using a position player to long snap, I think those days are over. Back when the roster size was forty players it made sense, not just for long snappers but also for punters (Dan Pastorini, Paul Maguire) and even kickers (Gino Cappelletti, Lou Groza, George Blanda), but with a 45-man roster it makes more sense to have a player dedicated to each position, with somebody that can take over in an emergency (Ninkovich).

On the one hand, yes, BB felt that Paxton wasn't worth as much as Josh offered him (which was an especially strange move, given that the Broncos already had a good LS in Mike Leach).

But OTOH, "as soon as" that happened, BB went out and signed Nathan Hodel and drafted Jake Ingram..

I would think that the best time to go "cold turkey" on a dedicated LS is right after losing one, but BB didn't feel that way.

Last edited:
Pay me a few hundred thousand dollars a year to figure it out and I bet I could. The fact that none of those punts were botched is just a testament to Mesko's hands, because Ingram was a disaster yesterday. I'll be relieved if he's cut this week.

Your 'relief' is not BB's concern. Cutting Ingram isn't the only issue, it's who will replace him. Great longsnappers don't grow on trees and this guy is young. I believe the coaching staff will work with him to try and correct his issues. Kneejerk forums posts thankfully have no bearing on actual Patriots personnel moves.

This reminds me of all those threads that used to call for replacing the snow angel a with a real player. LS never seems important until it starts biting you in the ass...

You're comparing this Chuck Knoblauch to Lonie (Pretty Much Perfect) Paxton?

We never had to worry about Lonie.

All it takes is one bad snap to blow a game. He's been real close, if Mesko wasn't reaching out for those so fast we could easily of had 2-3 blocked punts and a missed field goal.

Mesko saved that guy immensely yesterday - - Simms made mention of it a few times - - and it affected Mesko's first 3 punts.

People also fail to remeber that 2 of Ghost's missed FG's early in the season were largely due to the snap/hold sequence.

Once again, this guy is like a hand model - - he has ONE thing in life to do.

If he can't do it, he's like a 7 foot jockey.

Just as many people forget that Vinatraitor missed TWO FGs in the Super Bowl against Carolina.

Those I remember and neither of them were the snapper's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft