PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (update: Peyton Manning signs new contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (merged)

Go grab the knee brace out of the closet and go try out. I give you a 80/20 odds you'll make it.

Hmm.. I'm more of a FB than a CB.. 5'9 and 245... Pretty good hands.. good blocking.. Mediocre speed..

The Colts have let Kelvin Hayden go and have re-signed Joseph Addai...

Who is going to play CB for the Colts????

No worries! Manning is only making $23 million this year. Plenty of room to get the top CBs left on the market.

No worries! Manning is only making $23 million this year. Plenty of room to get the top CBs left on the market.

I heard it's because his cap hit is only like $3million :p

Hmm.. I'm more of a FB than a CB.. 5'9 and 245... Pretty good hands.. good blocking.. Mediocre speed..

Now your sounding more like Heath Evans lol

I am surprise that they release Hayden.He is not as bad when he is healthy.I can see the Jets going after him.

Colts have no CB's

And Florio backs this up:

Manning will get $69 million in first three years | ProFootballTalk

So Manning altruistically took the "same" money as Brady, but will get paid far more than Brady. So over the next three years, Manning will make the same as Brady except he will really make $20 million more.

Yup. Apples and oranges. The only measure by which these deals are identical is new money average. In all other respects they are wildly dissimilar. The gold standard is guaranteed money or first three year earnings. We know all this about Brady's deal:

Guarantees
•$48.500 Guarantee at the time of signing
•$28.3M is guaranteed for Skill, Injury & Salary Cap
•$19.7M is guaranteed only for Injury & Salary Cap, meaning Brady could be cut for “skill” and that money would not be earned.

Averages Per Year
•$72.M for the four-Year Extension
•$18M annual average
•$78.5M for the full five-year contract
•$15.7M annual average

Cash Earned
•$26.5M in 2010 (Y1): The original $ 6.5M in salary and old bonus, plus $ 4M in new money and $ 16M signing bonus.
•$36.5M 2011 (Y2): This is his 2011 earning plus 2010.
•$48.5M 2012 (Y3): Three-year total.
•$63.6M 2013 (Y4): Four-year total
•$78.5M 2014 (Y5): Total value of contract if he plays it out fully.

We don't know what portion of Manning's deal is fully or partially guaranteed or how his deal is structured. We do know he will get at least $23M in Y1, $46M by Y2 and $69M by Y3. Given Irsay says his cap hit will be $16M in 2011, he's getting more of the $69M in Y1 than $23M.

That said, Peyton certainly did step up compared to last time out not to mention considering Irsay inexplicably wanted to pay him $20M and Tom Condon was prepared to justify in excess of that (Condon must be apoplectic, first his rookies now this...).

Brady's deal is a 5 year $78.5M deal. Mannings deal is a 5 year $90M deal...

Brady's deal was struck in the uncapped final year of his old deal allowing the team to save about $7M in future cap hits. Mannings deal because they couldn't come to terms before the end of last season is all new money. And will bring his career haul to $238M over 18 years or $13.22M per year dating back to the days of the double digit team salary cap... That much we do know. What a guy!!! ;)

PS...he's been placed on PUP and is not expected to participate in camp though he is hoping to be ready to play by week 1...

The Texans should push the Colts for the division, IMO.

I am a bit worried for the first time about them. I have to think some time their luck will get better and they pounded us in week 1 last year. This time we go there again week 1 with Manning coming off surgery and missing some camp and a shaky o line and Wade knows how to needle Peyton. And our LBs/secondary seem week and the DT situation seems to never get fixed.
I have to see how the new D for the Texans develops. I am also a bit concerned about the Jags and Titans as well actually.None of these teams make it easy in divisional games.

I am just a bit concerned this season at the moment, hope I am wrong but I have more concerns that years past. It's great to have Peyton back not that I doubted it would happen but we have a lot of holes and I am losing faith in the coaching staff. And our schedule looks tough.

I am surprise that they release Hayden.He is not as bad when he is healthy.I can see the Jets going after him.

He was vastly overpaid.

The Colts have let Kelvin Hayden go and have re-signed Joseph Addai...

Who is going to play CB for the Colts????

Powers and Lacey.

for some reason I'm not so worried about Indy anymore.

dunce.jpg

As a regular Indy dude, what would be your thoughts if Polian blew the team up (Manning, Wayne, Feeney, Mathis, Clark.....) and loaded up on tons of picks to rebuild?

If I were them, I's be tempted and get into the Luck sweepstakes.

well i wouldn't be against it at all, but ya know if their division was tough, i don't think a team does that when they currently have a stranglehold on their own division

IMO goal #1 is make the playoffs, goal #2 is win the superbowl

if you've got a stranglehold on your division, you're already pushing yourself that much closer to goal #2

i wouldn't blow up my team, while they're the best in their division, because that's counteractive IMO, to reaching goal #2

Last edited:
interesting to see the bodog.com super bowl odds-- Colts not in the top 10.

When did that last happen?

The list:

New England Patriots -- 13/2
Green Bay Packers -- 7/1
Philadelphia Eagles -- 8/1
San Diego Chargers -- 11/1
New York Jets -- 12/1
Atlanta Falcons -- 14/1
Pittsburgh Steelers -- 14/1
Baltimore Ravens -- 16/1
Dallas Cowboys -- 16/1
New Orleans Saints -- 16/1