PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Peyton a 2015 locker room cancer waiting to happen?

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Chris Harris summed up the 2014 Bronco season the following way:
"I feel like the season was a waste of time, like we wasted all of our hard work," cornerback Chris Harris said, per The Denver Post. "We have to figure out what the plan is going to be next year and try to move on. It's tough. They beat us in all phases of the game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ris-feels-like-the-season-was-a-waste-of-time

This is scathing. I don't know if I can remember ever hearing a player sum it up that way, and I doubt this is a feeling unique to him. Did anyone see the Denver sideline during that game? They looked resentful and angry.
Defensive players looked towards the end like they were making plays individually just to spite the situation.

The narrative on Manning was that he is in Denver to prove that Indianapolis was everybody else's fault. Now he was going to have a defense, like he had in Indy despite the BS, and now he was going to have an organization willing to `go all in,` like he had in Indy despite the BS. Now he was going to have `the complete team`, and this year, #5 on defense, top #5 on offense, it looked exactly like all Peyton's other playoff games.

It's obvious if Elway truly does bring Peyton back that he isn't serious about a Superbowl. Either that he's just a dumb ass. Nobody, -and i mean nobody- believes that Peyton Manning is ever going to win another ring.

They were `upset` by the Ravens in a one-and-done and the Ravens won the Superbowl and they could find excuses. They were crushed in the Superbowl and they said "nobody could have done better anyway, was futile, Seattle defense too good.` Now they get smacked around by the Colts, by the very quarterback Indy dumped him for for the exact reason of his failed postseason career, and go one-and-done again.

Is a Peyton Manning locker room immune to locker room meltdowns? How can a team function when they know going in that they aren't going to win anything, and they simply have to waste all their time and hardwork just to get Peyton Brett's yardage record? Isn't it likely this will create some animosity now that everyone can see what we've been trying to tell them, that The Emperor Has No Clothes?

You combine this with the fact that he isn't really friends with anyone on the team, and probably just jumps in his limousine after practice and a game and splits, not to mention the fact that he will allegedly "have a say" in the deciding of a new coach, who will be partially subservient to Manning and thus have to treat him differently than the other 52 players on the Bronco roster.

I'm calling it now, and I'm bumping this baby in ten or eleven months when I'm right.

If Peyton doesn't retire and returns to Denver, and they retain Talib + their young playmakers from the last 3 years, the Broncos locker room will have a Jetsesque melt down by the end of the season.

The Chris Harris complaint is the early rumblings of a locker room which has no faith in the one position a team must believe in to believe they're going to win.

They've seen enough.

Last edited:
I guess that's the flip side as to why most other teams would avoid manning like the plague......this guy had everything.....surrounded by top talent and a defense that was also loaded although Talib flopped as he does every year......other players could perceive Manning as a skunk......a no win situation where if the team is successful its because of manning and if they're not its because of everyone else......

Manning should probably retire

When your quarterback has 20 yards of open field in front of him, and refuses to run for FIVE yards to pick up a crucial first down, his team is going to bail on him emotionally. QB has to set the tone, and Peyton Manning set the softest one he could.

I guess that's the flip side as to why most other teams would avoid manning like the plague......this guy had everything.....surrounded by top talent and a defense that was also loaded although Talib flopped as he does every year......other players could perceive Manning as a skunk......a no win situation where if the team is successful its because of manning and if they're not its because of everyone else......

Manning should probably retire

That's another element making it even more combustible.

When your quarterback has 20 yards of open field in front of him, and refuses to run for FIVE yards to pick up a crucial first down, his team is going to bail on him emotionally. QB has to set the tone, and Peyton Manning set the softest one he could.

That was a team killer. After that, actually, is when the camera cuts to the sideline didn't look so pleasant.

I knew the backlash was gonna be bad but this is super juicy stuff. Loving it!

I knew the backlash was gonna be bad but this is super juicy stuff. Loving it!
giphy.gif

That was a team killer. After that, actually, is when the camera cuts to the sideline didn't look so pleasant.

It really just sums up the difference between Brady and Manning their whole playoff careers. Manning does that, loses his team and the game. Meanwhile Brady, down 14-0, runs those same five yards in a slew of bigger, harder hitting defensive players to score a touchdown and get his team fired up. They go on to win. Just a microcosm of this rivalry.

My prediction: he will have another excellent season, though not as a Bronco. No SB though. :)

It really just sums up the difference between Brady and Manning their whole playoff careers. Manning does that, loses his team and the game. Meanwhile Brady, down 14-0, runs those same five yards in a slew of bigger, harder hitting defensive players to score a touchdown and get his team fired up. They go on to win. Just a microcosm of this rivalry.

This entire weekend basically epitomized their entire careers and status rivalry

From Darren McKee (host of a sports show in Denver) on Toucher and Rich yesterday:

McKee then shared stories from former Patriots and Broncos long snapper Lonie Paxton.

“From everything Lonie used to tell me, Tom was just one of the guys, basically,” McKee said. “Manning has like, no friends on the team. All the guys that Manning pals around with are either — like John Lynch is retired, or Brandon Stokley is retired — older guys or people who are out of it, or the 20 to 30 people he ships in for every home game. … He just doesn’t connect with anybody on the team, so the question is, what kind of ego do you have to have when you’ve got everything, you’re not capable of winning really like you should anymore, but you continue to still put yourself out there? I’m sure you love money, I’m sure you love the attention, but you must not love having friends on the team, because he has none.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/...ed-test-of-courage-has-no-friends-on-broncos/

This entire weekend basically epitomized their entire careers and status rivalry

Well said. Brady scrambles for that touchdown, manning throws an incomplete pass with 20 yards of space in front of him.
#Tinmansyndrome

From Darren McKee (host of a sports show in Denver) on Toucher and Rich yesterday:
Lotta good stuff in that article. GOOD LINK BRO

Not surprising that PM's "leadership" style differs so drastically from TB, but it's all the more damning to have it spelled out like that. How come nuggets like this never make the Peter King columns?

Well I imagine he is gone from Denver because looks like Gase is going to SF. I mean unless Elway has completely gone off his rocker and is letting Manning have a say on who the next coach is.

Here is my opinion/observation on Peyton as a team player. I think I can sum it up on the first touchdown scored by Denver against the Colts:

You see D. Thomas catch the ball...other team mates run up to him, camera pans to Peyton and he is jogging to the sideline pumping his fist. No running down to celebrate with the receiver, like TB12. When I saw this, I looked at my wife and said "WTF, glad I don't play on his team, that sh*t would get old quick". My feelings are that he plays for himself and regular season stats to get to the HOF. Our TB12 plays for rings, and lets the rest of the stuff sort itself out.

My 2 cents.

Chris Harris summed up the 2014 Bronco season the following way:
"I feel like the season was a waste of time, like we wasted all of our hard work," cornerback Chris Harris said, per The Denver Post. "We have to figure out what the plan is going to be next year and try to move on. It's tough. They beat us in all phases of the game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ris-feels-like-the-season-was-a-waste-of-time

This is scathing. I don't know if I can remember ever hearing a player sum it up that way, and I doubt this is a feeling unique to him. Did anyone see the Denver sideline during that game? They looked resentful and angry.
Defensive players looked towards the end like they were making plays individually just to spite the situation.

The narrative on Manning was that he is in Denver to prove that Indianapolis was everybody else's fault. Now he was going to have a defense, like he had in Indy despite the BS, and now he was going to have an organization willing to `go all in,` like he had in Indy despite the BS. Now he was going to have `the complete team`, and this year, #5 on defense, top #5 on offense, it looked exactly like all Peyton's other playoff games.

It's obvious if Elway truly does bring Peyton back that he isn't serious about a Superbowl. Either that he's just a dumb ass. Nobody, -and i mean nobody- believes that Peyton Manning is ever going to win another ring.

They were `upset` by the Ravens in a one-and-done and the Ravens won the Superbowl and they could find excuses. They were crushed in the Superbowl and they said "nobody could have done better anyway, was futile, Seattle defense too good.` Now they get smacked around by the Colts, by the very quarterback Indy dumped him for for the exact reason of his failed postseason career, and go one-and-done again.

Is a Peyton Manning locker room immune to locker room meltdowns? How can a team function when they know going in that they aren't going to win anything, and they simply have to waste all their time and hardwork just to get Peyton Brett's yardage record? Isn't it likely this will create some animosity now that everyone can see what we've been trying to tell them, that The Emperor Has No Clothes?

You combine this with the fact that he isn't really friends with anyone on the team, and probably just jumps in his limousine after practice and a game and splits, not to mention the fact that he will allegedly "have a say" in the deciding of a new coach, who will be partially subservient to Manning and thus have to treat him differently than the other 52 players on the Bronco roster.

I'm calling it now, and I'm bumping this baby in ten or eleven months when I'm right.

If Peyton doesn't retire and returns to Denver, and they retain Talib + their young playmakers from the last 3 years, the Broncos locker room will have a Jetsesque melt down by the end of the season.

The Chris Harris complaint is the early rumblings of a locker room which has no faith in the one position a team must believe in to believe they're going to win.

They've seen enough.

Predicting/stating/implying that PM is a locker room cancer is a bit outlandish. Hes an older player who got hurt at the end of the year. Does he have a hard time relating to younger players? Sure. Brady in on record as saying he doesn't go out with younger players anymore either. His life is just different now.

Harris is bitter and angry at the loss. So was the rest of the team. I've heard Pats players make similar statements after playoff losses (2005 vs DEN McGinest went off)

For the past 3 seasons, I'd allocate more blame to Fox than PM for the team's short-commings. Calling the D on the Jacoby Jones catch, the SB prep are examples.

Here is my opinion/observation on Peyton as a team player. I think I can sum it up on the first touchdown scored by Denver against the Colts:

You see D. Thomas catch the ball...other team mates run up to him, camera pans to Peyton and he is jogging to the sideline pumping his fist. No running down to celebrate with the receiver, like TB12. When I saw this, I looked at my wife and said "WTF, glad I don't play on his team, that sh*t would get old quick". My feelings are that he plays for himself and regular season stats to get to the HOF. Our TB12 plays for rings, and lets the rest of the stuff sort itself out.

My 2 cents.
PM has NEVER been an animated ra-ra guy. With that said, if it is true that he had a painful quad injury, running 40 yards to celebrate might have been a hard thing to do.

My 2 cents.

They had first and goal from the 1 and just had to pass, TWICE. Manning is the ultimate stat whore which is why I feel there's no way he's retiring unless his body truly won't allow him to get the yards necessary for the record.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back