PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (update: Peyton Manning signs new contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (merged)

Actually, Manning isn't under contract YET. :)

Oh, THAT's what Tampa Bay is saving all their cap space for!

I'll say it again: I would not be at all surprised if the Colts decide to trade Manning and hit the reset switch.

They have some guys who have been solid players and are looking for that big payday, and it won't happen if they have to hand over everything that Peyton wants. Their coach doesn't inspire anyone and certainly doesn't light up the sidelines. What does it say about his status when Peyton can overrule him and call his own plays as we've all seen him do this last year?

Everyone on that sideline knows that Prince Peyton won't hesitate to blame everyone else but him for any problems, and hasn't any qualms about throwing teammates or staff under the bus.

Of Peyton raids the treasury and others don't get a taste of the money they were expecting, then that locker room is going to have some serious issues.

All of that isn't even getting into the issue of whether the Colts would feel comfortable with a sub-standard O-line trying to protect a QB who is coming off of neck surgery. If he goes down for the count, and they've given him all that cash, then the team is scr3wed 6 ways from Friday.

I can certainly see them saying "Thanks, Peyton!" and trading him and using their cash to start rebuilding for the long haul. That, to me, would be a MUCH better investment, long-term, than risking it all on one player and hoping for the best.

Others, I am sure, will have differing views, but that's what I see at the moment.

respects,

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

I'll say it again: I would not be at all surprised if the Colts decide to trade Manning and hit the reset switch.

They have some guys who have been solid players and are looking for that big payday, and it won't happen if they have to hand over everything that Peyton wants. Their coach doesn't inspire anyone and certainly doesn't light up the sidelines. What does it say about his status when Peyton can overrule him and call his own plays as we've all seen him do this last year?

Everyone on that sideline knows that Prince Peyton won't hesitate to blame everyone else but him for any problems, and hasn't any qualms about throwing teammates or staff under the bus.

Of Peyton raids the treasury and others don't get a taste of the money they were expecting, then that locker room is going to have some serious issues.

All of that isn't even getting into the issue of whether the Colts would feel comfortable with a sub-standard O-line trying to protect a QB who is coming off of neck surgery. If he goes down for the count, and they've given him all that cash, then the team is scr3wed 6 ways from Friday.

I can certainly see them saying "Thanks, Peyton!" and trading him and using their cash to start rebuilding for the long haul. That, to me, would be a MUCH better investment, long-term, than risking it all on one player and hoping for the best.

Others, I am sure, will have differing views, but that's what I see at the moment.

respects,

The Colts may as well head back to Balmore in the dead of night if they trade Peyton. I don't disagree that it might indeed be the right thing but there would be an absolute fan revolt. Actual torches and pitchforks (good supply in Indiana). Tarring and feathering, dogs and cats living together. It would be anarchy.

Signing Pay-Me may reach beyond the playing field, to the stability of the franchise staying in Indy. Going into a rebuilding mode, and the corresponding drop in attendence could put a lot of things in play.

According to the agreement negotiated between city and state officials, taxpayers were responsible for funding 87 percent of the stadium. That makes Lucas Oil Stadium the most heavily taxpayer-subsidized stadium in the country.

Colts owner Jim Irsay was able to cover his 13 percent portion of the cost when he sold the naming rights to the Lucas Oil company for $120 million. Taxpayers also picked up the tab for the $48 million cost of breaking the lease on the RCA Dome.

Under the terms of the deal, the city is paying $70 million still owed on the RCA Dome, nearly the same amount originally owed when it was built. For the past 20 years, any additional funds raised through the RCA Dome were diverted to other CIB projects instead of being applied to the debt owed on the facility.
New Indianapolis Stadium May Already Need Bailout - by Nick Baker - Budget & Tax News

Gwedd's point about trading Manning & hitting the reset switch is precisely what the guys Kirwin et. al. on Sirius radio were saying to Colts fans. Kirwin saw the fans choice being between being a perennial sagging also ran in keeping Peyton but neing unable to field a strong team and losing a lot of games but rebuilding a team. Not a good choice to make.

Sure we can trot out the response that as long as Peyton/Brady is on the field they have a chance to win and that's true, but we Pats fans should know that the best QB cannot always carry a team with core weaknesses through the playoffs.

Gwedd's point about trading Manning & hitting the reset switch is precisely what the guys Kirwin et. al. on Sirius radio were saying to Colts fans. Kirwin saw the fans choice being between being a perennial sagging also ran in keeping Peyton but neing unable to field a strong team and losing a lot of games but rebuilding a team. Not a good choice to make.

Sure we can trot out the response that as long as Peyton/Brady is on the field they have a chance to win and that's true, but we Pats fans should know that the best QB cannot always carry a team with core weaknesses through the playoffs.

The Colts are at best a 9-7 team without Manning. I doubt if they could even win their division without Manning.

It pains me to say it, but Manning is the Colt franchise as long as he plays in the NFL.

The Colts are at best a 9-7 team without Manning. I doubt if they could even win their division without Manning.

It pains me to say it, but Manning is the Colt franchise as long as he plays in the NFL.

Colts are 7-9 or worse w/o Manning

Their offensive line is very unsettled with some sub-par and older players and their best lineman, Charlie Johnson still a free agent. The Colts do not have a running back - as of this moment Addai was unsigned and Donald Brown didn't work out so far. At safety, Bob Sanders is retired and they've lost a key linebacker in free agency. Sort of a mess. They have a huge amount tied up in very few players and not much they can do until they re-sign Manning with his surgically adjusted neck.

Bob Sanders is going to be playing for the Chargers this year. He's not retired.

To trade a franchise QB you have to have a plan B. Curtis Painter isn't Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Schaub or even Matt Cassel or Kevin Kolb. If they had a young player who could come in and give you 80% of Peyton you can make the argument for reloading for the next decade with the heist you'll get for him in a trade.

Second with the mortgage on that building and his popularity in Indy it would be financial suicide.

You don't use the exclusive version of the franchise tag on a guy you are willing to trade.

You don't use the exclusive version of the franchise tag on a guy you are willing to trade.

You do if you think he can get you more than the two first round picks that come with another team signing a franchised player.

Bob Sanders is going to be playing for the Chargers this year. He's not retired.

You may be right about that. I remember when he was let go that his statements about "always being a Colt..."" blah, blah, blah sounded a lot like a guy set to retire. The San Diego press is reporting that he may sign today. It will be interesting to see how his physical turns out and what sort of deal he signs. If at all.

You may be right about that. I remember when he was let go that his statements about "always being a Colt..."" blah, blah, blah sounded a lot like a guy set to retire. The San Diego press is reporting that he may sign today. It will be interesting to see how his physical turns out and what sort of deal he signs. If at all.

He signed with them back in March.

Chargers sign Sanders

Re: OT:Manning to Irsay: I don't need to be highest-paid player

Manning says this publicly but his boy Condon is doing the dirty work in the background!

Last edited:

This will be news when Manning says "I don't deserve to be paid as much as Brady.".

Why have you been franchised then, Peyton? Why haven't you signed yet? This is laughable.

I'm sure that has been the hold up all this time. Manning has wanted too little.

maybe peyton needs to tell his AGENT that he only wants to sign for 10m/yr, or better yet, the vet min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back