PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (update: Peyton Manning signs new contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Manning to Irsay: I don't need to be highest-paid player

I'm sure that has been the hold up all this time. Manning has wanted too little.

Exactly. When they offerred him a 20 million a year deal, he turned it down because he wanted 12.

Re: Indianapolis? Hello? Anyone home? (merged)

Somebody better drive over to Indianapolis and see if someone left the gas on. That team has more holes than swiss cheese and not only do they not have a QB under contract, the only move they've made is to renew Adam Vinatieri. Is their big plan to punt on first down?

Anybody got anything on the Colts?
Vinatieri is a place kicker, not a punter. ;) :singing:

Vinatieri is a place kicker, not a punter. ;) :singing:

You know what is truly, unbelievably sad? You were the first person in 42 posts to catch that. Actually, Adam Vinatieri averaged 43.5 yards per punt over four years at South Dakota State - look it up.

But you failed to answer the question. Are the Colts comatose - or what?

The Colts have never been active in FA. Why would this year be different?
I guess because they have lost more players than normal, but still, their MO is to keep a select few after their rookie contract then have the rest of team made up of guys on rookie contracts.
The TALENT on the team may lead to decline, but the strategy is no different.

I'll say it again: I would not be at all surprised if the Colts decide to trade Manning and hit the reset switch.

They have some guys who have been solid players and are looking for that big payday, and it won't happen if they have to hand over everything that Peyton wants. Their coach doesn't inspire anyone and certainly doesn't light up the sidelines. What does it say about his status when Peyton can overrule him and call his own plays as we've all seen him do this last year?

Everyone on that sideline knows that Prince Peyton won't hesitate to blame everyone else but him for any problems, and hasn't any qualms about throwing teammates or staff under the bus.

Of Peyton raids the treasury and others don't get a taste of the money they were expecting, then that locker room is going to have some serious issues.

All of that isn't even getting into the issue of whether the Colts would feel comfortable with a sub-standard O-line trying to protect a QB who is coming off of neck surgery. If he goes down for the count, and they've given him all that cash, then the team is scr3wed 6 ways from Friday.

I can certainly see them saying "Thanks, Peyton!" and trading him and using their cash to start rebuilding for the long haul. That, to me, would be a MUCH better investment, long-term, than risking it all on one player and hoping for the best.

Others, I am sure, will have differing views, but that's what I see at the moment.

respects,

I haven't posted on this forum in god knows how long and I had to login just to reply to this bullsh*t.

First of all, why would the Colts trade one of the best QBs of all time that nearly every other team would kill to have? Manning literally throws for 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs every season. Remember in 2009 what the Colts looked like without him vs the Jets & Bills? That theory is f*cking ******ed anyway you slice it. Peyton's one of the best QBs of all time, point blank, period. If you dispute that then you know nothing about football.

Next you say Peyton blames all his teammates for his problems. Lets take a look back at the post game comments in the 2007 game vs. the Chargers, on a Sunday Night where Manning threw 6 interceptions:

Manning’s final pickoff, by safety Clinton Hart, came on a desperation pass as time ran out.

“It was poor quarterback play on my part,” Manning said. “I take full responsibility for all of them.”

Wow, he sure threw all his teammates under the bus that time. It's not like he took "full responsibility" for each interception or anything. :rolleyes:

The only argument you have are his postgame comments against Pittsburgh, when he said the Colts were having protection problems. Protection problems also relate to the protection schemes and calls, not just the players themselves, you know that right?

And not only that, but you heard those comments and automatically assumed that Peyton ALWAYS throws his teammates under the bus. If he does it so often, you should be able to pull up the press conferences on YouTube, correct? Whenever somebody gets called out in sports its bound to make Sports Center or something, I'm interested. Apparently you've seen Peyton call out his teammates on numerous occasions.

The sh*t some of you say here is hilarious, this dudes post as evidence. Just went on a rant about nothing, essentially everything you said was false.

Last edited:

I haven't posted on this forum in god knows how long and I had to login just to reply to this bullsh*t.

First of all, why would the Colts trade one of the best QBs of all time that nearly every other team would kill to have? Manning literally throws for 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs every season. Remember in 2009 what the Colts looked like without him vs the Jets & Bills? That theory is f*cking ******ed anyway you slice it. Peyton's one of the best QBs of all time, point blank, period. If you dispute that then you know nothing about football.

Next you say Peyton blames all his teammates for his problems. Lets take a look back at the post game comments in the 2007 game vs. the Chargers, on a Sunday Night where Manning threw 6 interceptions:

Manning’s final pickoff, by safety Clinton Hart, came on a desperation pass as time ran out.

“It was poor quarterback play on my part,” Manning said. “I take full responsibility for all of them.”

Wow, he sure threw all his teammates under the bus that time. It's not like he took "full responsibility" for each interception or anything. :rolleyes:

The only argument you have are his postgame comments against Pittsburgh, when he said the Colts were having protection problems. Protection problems also relate to the protection schemes and calls, not just the players themselves, you know that right?

And not only that, but you heard those comments and automatically assumed that Peyton ALWAYS throws his teammates under the bus. If he does it so often, you should be able to pull up the press conferences on YouTube, correct? Whenever somebody gets called out in sports its bound to make Sports Center or something, I'm interested. Apparently you've seen Peyton call out his teammates on numerous occasions.

The sh*t some of you say here is hilarious, this dudes post as evidence. Just went on a rant about nothing, essentially everything you said was false.

You use one example to negate him being a total douchebag? He throws his o-line under the bus everytime something goes wrong too.

‪Peyton Manning is an Ass‬‏ - YouTube Classy.

You may be right about that. I remember when he was let go that his statements about "always being a Colt..."" blah, blah, blah sounded a lot like a guy set to retire. The San Diego press is reporting that he may sign today. It will be interesting to see how his physical turns out and what sort of deal he signs. If at all.

as a chargers fan, i won't be surprised if bob gets hurt signing the contract lol

but i hope we can get something out of him

i was laughing at colts fans who said we overpaid on weddle, even though he signed for less than the texans were offering him, and then the same colts fan said "how are you going to pay two big safety contracts?" as if we signed sanders for big money haha, some people i believe live in their own sheltered team forum and never get out

To trade a franchise QB you have to have a plan B. Curtis Painter isn't Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Schaub or even Matt Cassel or Kevin Kolb. If they had a young player who could come in and give you 80% of Peyton you can make the argument for reloading for the next decade with the heist you'll get for him in a trade.

Second with the mortgage on that building and his popularity in Indy it would be financial suicide.

if you're going to trade peyton you'd better make it for orton and a few 1st rounders lol

i don't think it's possible though due to the new team needing to spend a crapload to sign him....

The point wasn't to trade him because he is the douchebag that he is. Nor was it because he isn't a great QB. The point the OP was making was that an aging Manning, making $20M a year isn't going to have enough talent around him to win a SB. Now is probably the last time you can sell high on him.

I disagreed, and you have made my point for me. Just the suggestion of it on another team's message board is enough to induce wailing and crying among the faithful. The Polians and Irwin wouldn't make it out of the state alive if they traded God's gift to extra-large haberdashers.

Now apparently this isn't a problem because Peyton is just looking for Chad Henne money.

first of all bleacher report is crap

and that article made it sound like my chargers were making a splash in free agency

purely ******ed....they picked up some meat and potatoes guys and kept a couple of their own home.

I thought they were nice moves. Not huge, but I think Takeo seems to be a great teammate and mentor and Sanders is a boom or bust type of signing.

I thought they were nice moves. Not huge, but I think Takeo seems to be a great teammate and mentor and Sanders is a boom or bust type of signing.

I think Sanders is a boom AND bust, not or. First he goes BOOM then he busts and sits out the season. Happens every year.

I think this entire offseason has put on display the glaring--and comforting--difference between Indy and NE. Take the Patriots, who understand that Brady's days as an elite QB, while not numbered, are growing shorter. So they draft Mallett--huge upside who, if he works out, could potentially become an above average or (dreaming here) franchise QB. In addition, they saw the writing on the wall a season ago with their aging defense, O-line and RB corp and have completely revamped those positions with young, cheap talent. They've managed to keep some of the important peices--Brady, Welker, Wilfork, Mankins--but have done a phenomenal job ensuring the future here remains bright with the infusion of young talent.

Meanwhile you have Indy. Sure, they've kept their important peices, but maybe too many of them at too high a cost because the depth is laughable and some positions it can't be called depth because they literally don't have anyone signed. They've ridden the Manning gravy train into the ground and now that he's holding the team hostage looking for one more big payday their finally seeing the writing on the wall...but it's too late. Sure, they could contend with what htey have for another season or two. But they've been completely unable to infuse young talent onto the roster and are seeing a defense, O-line and RB corp (or lack thereof) that is increasingly weak, old and/or barren.

The above--all of it--is why I love drinking BB's cool-aid. Sure, he makes mistakes, but he is 100% looking to the future and ensuring this franchise, right now, in 3 seasons, and post-Brady, is healthy enough to continue to be top-dogs.

Perhaps Polian's strategy is to fill the roster holes with cheap vet minimum FA cuts from other teams. If so, expect Indy's 1st 4-6 games to be a bit rough as the geezers learn the system on the fly.

Indy's backup QB woes are over

They just signed Dan Orlovsky.

Yes, that Dan Orlovsky.

The sad thing is, he might actually be an upgrade from Curtis Painter. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

The point wasn't to trade him because he is the douchebag that he is. Nor was it because he isn't a great QB. The point the OP was making was that an aging Manning, making $20M a year isn't going to have enough talent around him to win a SB. Now is probably the last time you can sell high on him.

I disagreed, and you have made my point for me. Just the suggestion of it on another team's message board is enough to induce wailing and crying among the faithful. The Polians and Irwin wouldn't make it out of the state alive if they traded God's gift to extra-large haberdashers.

Now apparently this isn't a problem because Peyton is just looking for Chad Henne money.

Not enough talent? The Colts didn't legitimately lose a game in 2009 until the Super Bowl. What talent did they have then that we don't have now?

We're stacked at WR and running back. We have Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Blaire White at wide receiver. Before you act like that's nothing, remember your defense was completely clueless on how to defend Collie & Blaire White last season. Next we have Clark and Tamme at tight end, I don't even need to clarify. At running back we have Addai, Brown, Hart, and Javarris James.

You're judging our future based on 2010 when Garcon, Collie, Clark, Addai, Brown, and Hart were banged up the entire season and missed multiple games. The Colts had over 72 different players on their roster throughout the year and were the most injury-ridden team in the league. Despite that, you need a miracle Manning int that was basically in the red-zone to beat us and we still won the division and won as many playoff games as you did.

Remember when the Colts were done in 2008, after going one and done to the Chargers? The same thing was being said prior to the '09 season and we won 14 straight and made it to the Super Bowl.

But believe what you want to believe...when the Colts win the division are in the playoffs YET AGAIN, I will be back here. Enjoy.

Re: Indy's backup QB woes are over

Peyton just signed a 5 year, $90 million deal. Orlovsky will see the field in week 17 for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back