PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning - Super Bowl Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I think everyone on this board, every patriots fan, probably every NFL fan, and most of Earth's inhabitants were already aware of this. Manning stunk in the last 2 and was forgettable in the first one. Brady, well, he is a 3-time SB MVP for a reason.

One thing that is perhaps a bit unfair in the comparison--Manning has basically been Chad Pennington since hurting his neck in Indy. I know they had that record setting year in 2013, but once the coverage tightened up in the SB, he lacked the arm strength to be effective. Brady for all intents and purposes, has been in his physical prime for all 6 super bowls.

When Manning had his health, prior to his HGH years, he put up 7 one-and-dones in 11 playoffs, many times with the top seed.

Next excuse.

When Manning had his health, prior to his HGH years, he put up 7 one-and-dones in 11 playoffs, many times with the top seed.

Next excuse.

This thread was about a statistical comparison of the Super Bowl games. Since their overall playoff stats are similar, I would imagine that Manning statistically outperformed Brady in the non-SB games. Again, restating the obvious about wins and losses is really besides the point. Everyone knows that, and everyone should know (but apparently doesn't) that football is a team game. Generally, the QB gets too much credit for victories and too much blame for losses.

NO.

More touchdowns =/= better.

Brady puts up comparable touchdowns/QB rating, less picks, more wins, more division titles, better record against other divisions ...

Manning isn't the better regular season QB by any metric that counts.

That's basically what I said lol...

Manning is the better regular season QB (but a lot of his record stats are volume based, either Brady or Brees will soon be able to surpass them very soon as long as they stay healthy or don't retire)

This thread was about a statistical comparison of the Super Bowl games. Since their overall playoff stats are similar, I would imagine that Manning statistically outperformed Brady in the non-SB games. Again, restating the obvious about wins and losses is really besides the point. Everyone knows that, and everyone should know (but apparently doesn't) that football is a team game. Generally, the QB gets too much credit for victories and too much blame for losses.

Yes, I agree that the QB's performance is slightly overblown, but it's still fun to talk about.

As for the non SB games, Brady has outperformed Manning, especially in the playoffs but overall also.

Brady has made the playoffs more often (92.9% to 88.9% of their seasons played) and gone further than Manning by close to 1 round per playoff. I came up with that by awarding 1-5 points for each round they reached and Brady averaged 3.21 to Manning's 2.28.

Brady also has a better regular season winning % and a much better playoff winning % as well. And the overall passing numbers are almost identical, in spite of the fact that Manning has played a much higher % of his games indoors. The only big difference is in % of INTs, where Manning is almost 50% worse.

I'm not saying that Manning isn't a great QB, he is. He just had the misfortune of being around at a time when Brady was playing too. I think that caught the NYJFL and Manning off guard.

I made a thread before the AFC Championship game saying that this game was the most pivotal game in each player's career and gave reasons for that. Most of the posters here trashed me saying that this debate was settled long ago, this and that. I still stick with my assertion. If that game was won, we would not be having threads like these.

I made a thread before the AFC Championship game saying that this game was the most pivotal game in each player's career and gave reasons for that. Most of the posters here trashed me saying that this debate was settled long ago, this and that. I still stick with my assertion. If that game was won, we would not be having threads like these.

Just because a poster created a thread because they are having some kind of an insecurity issue because some ****head at ESPN is starting a pointless debate doesn't validate your assertion.

The debate was over in 2004, again in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2014 and it still is over and will be forever.

Just because a poster created a thread because they are having some kind of an insecurity issue because some ****head at ESPN is starting a pointless debate doesn't validate your assertion.

The debate was over in 2004, again in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2014 and it still is over and will be forever.

One poster? I see threads about Manning and Denver littered on the first page of the forums.

Well informed/intelligent people knew the debate was long over. However, some people with a poor understanding of football would argue for Manning or that the debate should live on if Denver won. Thus, both you and your critics were both right and wrong.

One poster? I see threads about Manning and Denver littered on the first page of the forums.

I said a poster- specifically the one who started this godforsaken thread because PM won a Super Bowl with one of the top 5 worst QB performances of a winning QB in NFL history.

There a number of people on this board who run to the liquor cabinet or start crushing Oxy and putting it in their apple sauce when Peyton Manning does something and the media juxtaposes it in a positive light.

I would like to respectfully state that I, as the OP, am certainly not having an insecurity issue.

This is a fun, and relevant, topic of discussion in light of Peyton getting a second ring.

I would like to respectfully state that I, as the OP, am certainly not having an insecurity issue.

This is a fun, and relevant, topic of discussion in light of Peyton getting a second ring.

Good. There is nothing to be insecure about.

Thats fine if you want to spawn a discussion. Hell, i've started some "way out there" threads too but I don't know what "many" you speak of that believes PM winning his second ring opens up the debate for GoAT.- especially on this board.

Good. There is nothing to be insecure about.

Thats fine if you want to spawn a discussion. Hell, i've started some "way out there" threads too but I don't know what "many" you speak of that believes PM winning his second ring opens up the debate for GoAT.- especially on this board.

I've seen enough comments online - tweets, etc. - that expressed that view, and I thought it would be good to quantify their respective Super Bowl performances.

I think it's amazing that only one of Manning's SB performances (his very best) is better than Brady's worst. And the sample size is not terribly small - certainly not small taking into account that we're talking about only Super Bowl games themselves.

Maybe we should just make a sticky for all the ways Brady is better than manning.....

It's an insult to Brady even comparing him to Peyton. That debate was settled a year ago. Only person comparable to him is Montana.

A more even comparison would be Peyton vs Big Ben.

Both started on the winning SB team inspite of having a horrible day getting their 2nd ring.

I've seen enough comments online - tweets, etc. - that expressed that view, and I thought it would be good to quantify their respective Super Bowl performances.

I think it's amazing that only one of Manning's SB performances (his very best) is better than Brady's worst. And the sample size is not terribly small - certainly not small taking into account that we're talking about only Super Bowl games themselves.

Thats fine. Its a fan board and I hope I'm not coming across and beating you up for it.

Clearly it drives me nuts how people just don't see this guy for what he is. I hear people say, "Peyton is the GoAT at presnap reads...." "Peyton is the best at checkdowns" ..."Peyton is the GoAT at game management".

All this **** comes out when the guy is on his last leg and still throws stupid passes at the worst moments.

Peyton is one of the greatest passers in NFL History.

He is not one of the greatest QBs. Not even Top 10 IMO.

Excuse me while I go and hit the liquor cabinet and put some Oxy in my applesauce.:p

Peyton is, IMO, one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. His numbers are mind-boggling. He's very intelligent and knows how to run an offense.

But, even with his dazzling numbers taken into account, he is not in the top 2. Those two spots go to Brady and Montana, in some order.

NO.

More touchdowns =/= better.

Brady puts up comparable touchdowns/QB rating, less picks, more wins, more division titles, better record against other divisions ...

Manning isn't the better regular season QB by any metric that counts.

People who call Manning the greatest Reg Season QB seem often do not include Rushing TD drives into their equation. The QB has just as much to do with a Rushing TD as he does with a Throwing TD although he does not get the stat credit for it unless he ran it in himself.

The Patriots offense scored more TD's than any team over the last 5 years. You could just as easily argue that Brady is the better Regular Season QB as he has generated more scoring drives than any other QB over the last 5 years.

Total TD's by teams from 2011 - Dec 17 2015 broken down by Rushing / Passing.

Pats Point total 201-2015.png

We are Pats fans we know what we know and think others will never agree with us.

Well the 3-1 in afc championship games pisses me off. I like tommy but playing in denver has been kryptonite for him. Only
house of horrors for him

this is the stat that every manning lover will bring up from now on!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes