PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Incognito suspended indefinitely by Dolphins

...That’s where Incognito ran into a problem. Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter. He was the jokester on the team, and he joked with everybody from players to coaches. That voicemail he sent came from a place of humor, but where he really screwed up was using the N-word. That, I cannot condone, and it’s probably the biggest reason he’s not with the team right now. Odd thing is, I’ve heard Incognito call Martin the same thing to his face in meetings and all Martin did was laugh. Many more worse things were said about others in the room from all different parties...

Richie Incognito never bullied Jonathan Martin, Lydon Murtha says | The MMQB with Peter King

Yeah, no. That has nothing to do with the comments you made.

"Yeah, no." and you claim you're not confused?

If you ask general questions about intra-race bigotry in the black community, then expect to get general answers. And now you're saying that my comments in general about "intra-race" bigotry have nothing to do with comments about being "black enough" that have everything to do with intra-race bigotry. BIZARRE.

Umm, first that comment would have to have been made.

Why are you even responding? I said from the get go that Salguero made that comment. You're saying he didn't. And you managed to respond for several pages to me without once contesting whether Salguero even said that? It's like you're on another planet. The first thing you should have done is asked for a source, and I would have told you it was on a live interview on ESPN this morning. Yet more craziness from you on this.

No, you are denegrating the OTHER black players on the team.
Your racist approach says that every black person must treat every other black person the same way.
You are endorsing treating people based upon their race not who they are.

I'm not denigrating anyone. I am criticizing the bigots on the team who told Salguero that Martin isn't black enough. If you think that's racist, you are in more trouble than I thought. And no one ever said every black person must treat every other black person the same way. That is a product of your demented imagination. What I said was that they were bigots for telling Martin he wasn't black enough. The fact that you interpret that to mean that every black person must treat every black person the same is laughable and pathetic.

Of course you did. Your words

Biogtry BASED UPON RACE is racism. Your bigotry comments were based upon race. 2+2=4 every time.

I explained this to you. The fact that you don't understand the difference between bigotry and racism is your problem, not mine. I stated: racism is based on the perceived superiority or inferiority of one race in relation to another. Now, have I said anything about the superiority or inferiority of any races? No. Have I said the players believed one or another race was superior? No. The claim about Martin's relative blackness does not come from racism. That's not the problem with it. You'll find that discussion of these issues in the black community make pretty clear distinctions between racism and bigotry. Even the dictionary definition of these two words is totally different.

That is an example of racism.
Telling a black person how they should act because they are black is another example.

Let me get this straight. If I criticize a black person for being a bigot, that makes me a racist? What are you trying to say here? It makes no sense. Actually, your formulation is even more general than that. If I criticize the action of a black person, I am a racist? Be clear because you are making no sense.

Your comments about the OTHER PLAYERS are racist. You are putting THEM under one umbrella. You are telling them because they are black, you are deciding for them as a group how they should treat Martin.
This is exacerabated by your misunderstanding of what was said also.

Never said that. First of all, what do you mean by "group?" I'm referring to the black players that Salguero quoted. I wasn't referring to all the black players on the Miami Dolphins. I said that in my very first post on Salguero's quotes. Second, I don't really care how they treat Martin, as long as they don't ostracize him for not being "black enough." That's when they cross the line into bigotry. This is pretty clear in all my posting.

You essentially lumped every black player who isnt Martin into 'those uneducated guys who cant' deal with the one educated black guy'.

And yet another mischaracterization from you. I keep writing, you keep twisting. I wrote that I didn't know why they didn't consider him black enough (which is what Salguero said on ESPN) but that it could be about his white parent, about the way he spoke, about his education, etc. If it is about his education and background (which is what his high school thinks it's about) then yeah, we have a divide here between players who think the Harvard/Stanford guy isn't black enough and myself who thinks that's silly. The likelihood is that they made that characterization for all the above reasons (the way he talks, his Harvard/Stanford background, his middle class parents, etc.), and this is precisely why I listed all those reasons, and didn't simply single out his education as the difference. But again, as I'm emphasized, I am speculating on why they said that about him. I don't know him or them, and so I can't think of any other reason why they determined he's not black enough. I don't actually even care what their reasons might be, I just think it's wrong to tell a black man he's not black enough.

Even if they said that, you are taking the extreme view that it means they think less of him because he is half white, when a much more reasonable conclusion, especially based on the context, which was is Incognito a racist, it clearly means he did not fit in with the black players as well.

It's OK not to fit in. In fact, I said that he didn't fit in in my very first post yesterday before the Salguero quote this morning. What is out-of-bounds for me is questioning his blackness.

Prince Amukamura was getting tossed into ice baths, and that fact came out. The hubbub about it died out in a short time. Care to make some quesses as to why this is different?

Probably because prince through a hissy fit, and everyone started to leave him alone, What if martin asked them to stop and they didnt?

Of course you can't. It doesn't make sense to you for reasons we've already been over. This exact situation with regard to what Incognito said to Martin over the voicemail and how his black teammates are taking his side instead of Martin's, is an excellent example of just that. You're really grasping at straws here, upstater and it's all over you trying to point out that the word "half" changed things when it didn't. Now you're firmly on the defensive.

You didn't give an example of how a white guy can say what is essentially black and what isn't without seeming like a racist. That's all I said.

And, I am talking about the Salguero quote. My comments two days ago about "half-n-----" may be wrong as they relate to bullying. Incognito maybe didn't mean them that way. The comment "Call me" may show it's a joke. I didn't think Martin's agent would be so stupid as to cut that out. BUT, you don't think the comments to Salguero about how black Martin was show a general attitude? "Half-n----" reinforces that. This is exactly why I wrote that. Incognito didn't call him an N, but half-N. Then we hear from Salguero that the black players didn't think he was black. This is pure idiocy.

Wow.
What you just called racist is exactly what you have been doing regarding every black Dolphin not named Martin.

What? What does this even mean? Are you saying that being a bigot is part of being black? Because I am not saying that all black people are bigots. I am saying that the black Dolphins who said Martin isn't black are bigots. Holy moly. I never said anything like what you're claiming.

Do you know what the word essential means?

Then you misheard it.
Reread his written version.

He said Incognito was accepted, Martin was not.
He said the players felt Incognito was 'more black, but the actual quote said 'a brother'.

No he did not.

He did say it. On ESPN this morning. I haven't even read a report from him.

The fact that other teammates are "sticking up" for Incognito shouldn't be swaying people's opinions in favour of Incognito, which I am starting to see some people say (on TV & online)...

If anything, that just shows that most of the entire team was against Martin for no reason. Neither should it matter if Incognito was a popular player among the team like reports are saying. Just like at a school, if a popular & likeable student picks on a kid, other people will basically approve of it and not really care. If Martin had done something so significant to make people dislike him, it would be out right now. But he didn't. It seems like just because he was black, BUT had a high education, talked very proper, had a baby face, etc.. he was seen as a "pvssy" and "weak" which is extremely pathetic to think.

Again, you're claiming something is childish behavior. That is not necessarily the case. In this case, what we're talking about is fairly standard adult male behavior in nations across the globe, including this nation, with a dash of big cash and a sprinkle of purported racism thrown in to spice it up.

These guys exist and interact in a highly exclusive environment that has few parallels, if any. The financial and racial dynamics are givens. The primary factor mitigating individual maturity for these guys (and I'm speaking very, very generally) is socialization. We've seen time and again in this forum the pre-draft player assessments showing subpar test scores in this area.

Many of them grew up sans traditional parental guidance, many were coddled and enabled from a young age because of their special athletic gifts. The harshest evidence of this comes from all-too-common stories of retired players failing to make their way in the mainstream. Individual and group social immaturity is at the core of this nonsense happening in Miami.

Our company makes us attend sexual harassment training every year. One of the things they stress is that harassment is in the perception of the person claiming the harassment.

Imagine a male dominated work environment where crude humor, language, and sexual innuendo are thrown about regularly. Now imagine a new hire entering the same environment and, although he laughs along with the rest of the guys at the jokes etc., he never seems really comfortable in the room.

Any surprise when he goes to HR and says he's being subject to harassment in the workplace? It won't matter that this is, and has been, the culture of this particular work environment for years. It won't matter that everyone else in the place thinks it's just harmless banter. It's going to be deemed by management as harassment and the culture there is going to be addressed either through discipline, training, or both.

So while what Incognito did may be the culture in their locker room, and not deemed bullying, etc. by many teammates, coaches, former players, and PatsFans posters, IMO it will be deemed so by the NFL and will be dealt with harshly.

That said, my sense is that Martin most likely wasn't truly offended and is using the bullying and NFL locker room culture as his golden parachute out of the NFL.

Our company makes us attend sexual harassment training every year. One of the things they stress is that harassment is in the perception of the person claiming the harassment.

Imagine a male dominated work environment where crude humor, language, and sexual innuendo are thrown about regularly. Now imagine a new hire entering the same environment and, although he laughs along with the rest of the guys at the jokes etc., he never seems really comfortable in the room.

Any surprise when he goes to HR and says he's being subject to harassment in the workplace? It won't matter that this is, and has been, the culture of this particular work environment for years. It won't matter that everyone else in the place thinks it's just harmless banter. It's going to be deemed by management as harassment and the culture there is going to be addressed either through discipline, training, or both.

So while what Incognito did may be the culture in their locker room, and not deemed bullying, etc. by many teammates, coaches, former players, and PatsFans posters, IMO it will be deemed so by the NFL and will be dealt with harshly.

That said, my sense is that Martin most likely wasn't truly offended and is using the bullying and NFL locker room culture as his golden parachute out of the NFL.

You're absolutely right, but I really don't think it's Martin's way out of the NFL. Most that are bullied try to fit in desperately, even though they know they have no chance of getting in. That's what it seems to me. He really tried his best to fit in with everyone that's why he joked about it and kept the message, but actually he couldn't take the locker room dynamics.

These guys exist and interact in a highly exclusive environment that has few parallels, if any. The financial and racial dynamics are givens. The primary factor mitigating individual maturity for these guys (and I'm speaking very, very generally) is socialization. We've seen time and again in this forum the pre-draft player assessments showing subpar test scores in this area.

Many of them grew up sans traditional parental guidance, many were coddled and enabled from a young age because of their special athletic gifts. The harshest evidence of this comes from all-too-common stories of retired players failing to make their way in the mainstream. Individual and group social immaturity is at the core of this nonsense happening in Miami.

You're reaching for straws that aren't there. The general behavior is typical of adult males, although the form it takes varies. The question (well, one of the questions in this situation) is whether that behavior went beyond the pale. Thus far, outside of one questionable voicemail, there is no significant evidence that it did so.

You didn't give an example of how a white guy can say what is essentially black and what isn't without seeming like a racist. That's all I said.

Sure I did, and I related all of them to my experiences. Again, this situation is a perfect example of it.

And, I am talking about the Salguero quote. My comments two days ago about "half-n-----" may be wrong as they relate to bullying. Incognito maybe didn't mean them that way. The comment "Call me" may show it's a joke. I didn't think Martin's agent would be so stupid as to cut that out. BUT, you don't think the comments to Salguero about how black Martin was show a general attitude?

The only attitude that I think it shows is that, in that environment, Incognito fit in better than Martin. To me, that has more to do with each guy's past experiences and how they dealt with and related to the rest of the locker room.

"Half-n----" reinforces that. This is exactly why I wrote that. Incognito didn't call him an N, but half-N. Then we hear from Salguero that the black players didn't think he was black. This is pure idiocy.

Again, I haven't seen where the players in the locker room "didn't think he was black". That would be idiotic. They call Incognito more of a brotha than Martin, which I've already explained to you.

"Yeah, no." and you claim you're not confused?

If you ask general questions about intra-race bigotry in the black community, then expect to get general answers. And now you're saying that my comments in general about "intra-race" bigotry have nothing to do with comments about being "black enough" that have everything to do with intra-race bigotry. BIZARRE.
I didn't ask a question, you made a sweeping statement.

Why are you even responding? I said from the get go that Salguero made that comment. You're saying he didn't. And you managed to respond for several pages to me without once contesting whether Salguero even said that? It's like you're on another planet. The first thing you should have done is asked for a source, and I would have told you it was on a live interview on ESPN this morning. Yet more craziness from you on this.
The point is you are wrong whether he made it or not. While responding to why you are wrong if he made, I looked it up and found out he didnt.

I'm not denigrating anyone. I am criticizing the bigots
LOL my face off

on the team who told Salguero that Martin isn't black enough. If you think that's racist, you are in more trouble than I thought.
You have criticized the actions of all the black teammates and given your opinion of how they could be good blacks. That is racist.

And no one ever said every black person must treat every other black person the same way.
You have in this thread. You are proclaiming how black people should act toward other black people, toward white people, toward mixed race people.

That is a product of your demented imagination. What I said was that they were bigots for telling Martin he wasn't black enough. The fact that you interpret that to mean that every black person must treat every black person the same is laughable and pathetic.
You lumped all the black players that arent Martin and compared the entire group to 'the educated black man'. I bolded your exact words when I quoted them.

I explained this to you. The fact that you don't understand the difference between bigotry and racism is your problem, not mine.
As I said, you should research the defintions of sensitive words before you use them.

I stated: racism is based on the perceived superiority or inferiority of one race in relation to another. Now, have I said anything about the superiority or inferiority of any races? No. Have I said the players believed one or another race was superior? No
Racism does not require a feeling of superiority. Many racists are racist due to jealously, as well as many due to simple ignorance.
Treating or judging a person based on their race rather than who they are is racist. When you criticize, demean, or give your opinion of what 'the black players' should do, you are acting in a racist manner.

Your attempt to try to be racially fair to Martin is causing you to act in a bigotted way toward everyone who is not Martin yet is a black dolphin.

. The claim about Martin's relative blackness does not come from racism.
Of course it does. It has to do with nothing about race, and you are measuring solely based upon race.

That's not the problem with it. You'll find that discussion of these issues in the black community make pretty clear distinctions between racism and bigotry. Even the dictionary definition of these two words is totally different.
What are you talking about?
First I would not look to you to tell me what occurs in the black community. And once again, your racist perspective appears as you think the black community has its own distinction between words that have clear meaning. Of course you just made that up, so you crime is inability to admit you are wrong more than racism.

And so we are clear:
The definition of bigotry is intolerance due to (a number of things INCLUIDNG RACE)

Racism is intolernace due to race.

If the reason for intolerance is race, the words have the exact same meaning. Grab a dictionary.
bigot (ˈbɪɡət) http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.htmln a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

Let me get this straight. If I criticize a black person for being a bigot, that makes me a racist?
No, but thats not what you did. You criticized ALL of the black people on the Dolphins. You didn't crticize Maurice Pouncey for his actions, beliefs or opinions, you criticized all of the black Dolphins as if being black makes them all the same. Get it yet?

What are you trying to say here? It makes no sense. Actually, your formulation is even more general than that. If I criticize the action of a black person, I am a racist? Be clear because you are making no sense.

When you treat or judge a person based on what he is rather than who is it is racist (or sexist or whatever the group in question implies).
You are criticizing this entire group of players for actions and beliefs you do not know they share solely because they are black. You are stating what the black players should or shouldn't do. That is racist.

Never said that. First of all, what do you mean by "group?" I'm referring to the black players that Salguero quoted. I wasn't referring to all the black players on the Miami Dolphins.
Thankfully you have finally made that distinction, or change of course I should say.

I said that in my very first post on Salguero's quotes. Second, I don't really care how they treat Martin, as long as they don't ostracize him for not being "black enough."
What if they ostracize Tannehill for not being black enough? Is that OK?
What if what they mean by 'black' is as one player actually clarified 'being a brother'.
You are implying that all black people are the same.
Some black people gravitate toward things typically associated with the hood stereotype, such as hip hop, 'gangsta', etc and others gravitate toward a more suburban lifestyle.
The 'hood' is not only almost exclusively black, but it also is a way of identifying with the struggles of grwoing up in strife or poverty.
The suburban lifestyle is one that is made up of a high percetange of white people.

The guy from the hood who acts in the stereotypical fashion is different that the person, white or black who is a stereotypical suburbanite.
Clearly 'more black' is not a criticism, but a description of personality.
Your comments suggest that black is black and you can't make that distinction because they share skin color.

That's when they cross the line into bigotry. This is pretty clear in all my posting.
Again, bigotry because of race is racism.
Treating or judging people by what race they belong ot rather than who they are is also racism.

And yet another mischaracterization from you. I keep writing, you keep twisting.
I have not twisted anything.

I wrote that I didn't know why they didn't consider him black enough (which is what Salguero said on ESPN)
Now I'm confused. First you said his quote was he wasn't black. Now he said they weren't black enough?

but that it could be about his white parent, about the way he spoke, about his education, etc. If it is about his education and background (which is what his high school thinks it's about) then yeah, we have a divide here between players who think the Harvard/Stanford guy isn't black enough and myself who thinks that's silly.
I have no clue why this would matter.

The likelihood is that they made that characterization for all the above reasons (the way he talks, his Harvard/Stanford background, his middle class parents, etc.), and this is precisely why I listed all those reasons, and didn't simply single out his education as the difference. But again, as I'm emphasized, I am speculating on why they said that about him.
So what is your point?
You are trying to analyze what the supposedly said (which I think they didnt even say) while admittedly not understanding why they said it?
How could you possibly hope to get it right?

I don't know him or them, and so I can't think of any other reason why they determined he's not black enough.
Again, so how can you possibly think you understand the topic?

I don't actually even care what their reasons might be, I just think it's wrong to tell a black man he's not black enough.
And to put the cherry on top, you do not even know what is meant by 'not black enough'.

It's OK not to fit in. In fact, I said that he didn't fit in in my very first post yesterday before the Salguero quote this morning. What is out-of-bounds for me is questioning his blackness.
Perhaps you should determine what is meant by their comments before considering them out of bounds.
Would you agree that there are many sentences that you could speak and Tyson Clabo could speak and they would have very different meanings based upon your envorinment, background and sensibilities to the implication of certain buzzwords?

You really need to stop commenting on what you think black people are supposed to do because they are black. It is bad form.

My opinion has always been that what you describe above is fine in terms of that person having every right to object to those actions and demand they stop, but no right to expect damages prior to raising the red flag. Sadly our legal system defies that logic.

The fact that other teammates are "sticking up" for Incognito shouldn't be swaying people's opinions in favour of Incognito, which I am starting to see some people say (on TV & online)...

If anything, that just shows that most of the entire team was against Martin for no reason. Neither should it matter if Incognito was a popular player among the team like reports are saying. Just like at a school, if a popular & likeable student picks on a kid, other people will basically approve of it and not really care. If Martin had done something so significant to make people dislike him, it would be out right now. But he didn't. It seems like just because he was black, BUT had a high education, talked very proper, had a baby face, etc.. he was seen as a "pvssy" and "weak" which is extremely pathetic to think.
I think it is equally wrong to assume the team was against Martin for no reason.
First being a friend of Incognito does not make you against Martin, when in fact, Martin was a friend of Incognito.
Further, I find it hard to believe that 52 players just decided to randomly dislike one player for no reason.
Whether its fair from his perspective or not, there could be a number of reason he wasn't well liked.
For example, people are railing on players based on the idea he was too smart so they didn't like him. Perhaps he was arrogant.
We know his commitment was questionable because he skipped OTAs after Long was released and he needed to move to LT.
Hell, he walked out on his team.
There could be many reasons to not personally like him without that making you a bad person. There are many people I know that I don't particularly like, thats life.

You're reaching for straws that aren't there.
:confused: I'm not reaching for anything. I gave you an accurate thumbnail of NFL player sociology. (I have spent time in NFL locker rooms, btw, as a working journalist and have observed the culture firsthand. Not that you'll give it any credence.)

The general behavior is typical of adult males, although the form it takes varies.
Vague conjecture meaning nothing. The demographic makeup and interpersonal dynamics of an NFL locker room are entirely unique and what we happen to be discussing here.

The question (well, one of the questions in this situation) is whether that behavior went beyond the pale.
And who shall be entrusted with making that assessment? Unfortunately, the cat appears too far out of the bag (in the public arena) for this to end appropriately.

This is a very simple situation that some of you are choosing to try to make difficult due to how you feel. The locker room is standing up for Incognito because they realize that he was either using the phrase as a term of endearment or a way of busting his teammate and reported friend's balls. Otherwise, if this were simply an isolated issue of racism, the locker room would take Martin's side. To take it a bit further, there are reports that the call as it was originally reported was incomplete and left out a "call me" at the end furthered with the reports out of the locker room that Martin played the voicemail and was laughing about it. Personally, I don't get the stance that everyone who understands where Incognito and the locker room are coming from are ignorant. Quite the contrary, actually. I believe those that are having trouble understanding this are having that hard of a time because they can't possibly fathom a way that a white man can be that tight with a black man and/or a mostly black locker room. That, in and of itself, is ignorance IMO.

The world works differently nowadays when it comes to that word and use of it by a white man. A lot of times, it's inappropriate or idiotic and racist. Sometimes, depending on the comfort level and the friendship, it's acceptable. This seems to be one of those cases, judging by the reaction of the locker room. If Martin didn't like it and the treatment he was supposedly getting, he should have spoken up about it and stood up for himself (you know, what you're supposed to do with a bully?) before this got out of control. Not tried to laugh it off.

Sure I did, and I related all of them to my experiences. Again, this situation is a perfect example of it.

OK, must have missed that. Went back, didn't see it, Don't know where to find it, but OK.

The only attitude that I think it shows is that, in that environment, Incognito fit in better than Martin. To me, that has more to do with each guy's past experiences and how they dealt with and related to the rest of the locker room.

Absolutely, and I've been saying that from the beginning.

Again, I haven't seen where the players in the locker room "didn't think he was black". That would be idiotic. They call Incognito more of a brotha than Martin, which I've already explained to you.

If they'd said he's more of a brotha, then I wouldn't like that either, but at least in that example brotha is something different. That's not saying Incognito is more black than Martin. Which is what Salguro said on ESPN this morning. "Brotha" and "black" are not easily or always interchangeable, but Salguero quoted them as saying black. Idiocy indeed.

If Martin didn't like it and the treatment he was supposedly getting, he should have spoken up about it and stood up for himself (you know, what you're supposed to do with a bully?) before this got out of control. Not tried to laugh it off.

Did you see how Hartline described Martin laughing? Did you feel anything was weird about his description?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back