PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players Betting

Agreed. But that does not mean there might be things banned at other workplaces that shouldn't be. Especially workplaces where you want players to show up voluntarily all off-season. Different situations, different rules and needs.
If you have such an overwhelming need to bet and can't wait until you're off your employer's property to do so, you have a problem that you need to talk to someone about.

If you have such an overwhelming need to bet and can't wait until you're off your employer's property to do so, you have a problem that you need to talk to someone about.

Not really. Some people bet when it pops into their head. A $25 bet is not a problem that needs counseling. The Pats encourage players to be at Gilette voluntarily most of the day in the off-season. I think it is absurd to suspend a player for 4 to 6 games for placing a $25 bet in March during voluntary workouts.

Not really. Some people bet when it pops into their head. A $25 bet is not a problem that needs counseling. The Pats encourage players to be at Gilette voluntarily most of the day in the off-season. I think it is absurd to suspend a player for 4 to 6 games for placing a $25 bet in March during voluntary workouts.
That speaks to a total lack of self control which is a bigger problem.

They don't want players to get caught up in fixing games in order to earn some extra dough. So much of the NFL relies on perception. It's nothing personal, just business. The basic logic is sound. We've had players influenced by gambling concerns in the past, even refs.
Thanks for trying to have a mature discussion on this subject. Some can't.

Who has more influence over the games?
1) Players who are one of 53 on a team?
2) Owners who are making the rules while funding gambling sites?

To take away an entire season and possibly a career for a first offense from a player is preposterous. That's where I have a problem. Meanwhile, we have an owner who was trying to tank games and nothing is heard about that. Not a peep.

Sports betting anywhere, on anything outside the NFL, seems OK to me. Why is betting inside the stadium banned? Am I missing something? There are sports betting advertisements inside the stadium, 10,000s of fans betting inside the stadium, workers betting inside the stadium, owners inside the stadium heavily invested in sports betting and personally promoting sports betting. But a player can't bet on the NBA from the locker room after a game?

Jon Jones makes a case to allow NFL players to bet on their team winning, as long as betting on their team losing is banned. Interesting idea.
I'm not sure it matters whether your gambling on your team winning or losing. In either case something could be learned from that. Again, the issue to me is the obscene punishments.

The only issue that I have with Jones comments was him claiming that NYFL players are putting their lives on the line. That kind of approach is way off base considering the thousands of soldiers, police, firefighters and a whole host of other occupations where people have actually died on the job.

I've placed bets at work many times. When it comes to sports betting, sometimes you have a very small window to get your play in.

I've placed bets at work many times. When it comes to sports betting, sometimes you have a very small window to get your play in.
Does your workplace have a ban on betting at work?

Thanks for trying to have a mature discussion on this subject. Some can't.

Who has more influence over the games?
1) Players who are one of 53 on a team?
2) Owners who are making the rules while funding gambling sites?

To take away an entire season and possibly a career for a first offense from a player is preposterous. That's where I have a problem. Meanwhile, we have an owner who was trying to tank games and nothing is heard about that. Not a peep.
Well, if it's a kicker or a QB he can tank the games. A LT or a RB can too.

But good point about the owners

Well, if it's a kicker or a QB he can tank the games. A LT or a RB can too.

But good point about the owners
I wonder if a player could do it and still keep his job.
A QB could control it the most but would have to be pretty subtle about it.
A kicker could probably get away with it, maybe more than once if he timed it right.
The LTs and RBs would be more obvious.

But if anyone's going to rig a result the most influential people would be the non-players in the NYFL. The coaches, refs and former Jets ruling the league office control all of that and don't have to answer to anyone but themselves when things go wrong, which seems to be happening more frequently than ever.

The whole “WeLL tHe OwnERz ArE iN the bED wITh DrAFtKingz, SO who caREz?” take is terrible.

Here’s a new flash: players are absolutely seeing windfalls from the NFL’s relationship with the sports betting companies. 48.5% of the NFL’s revenue goes to the players. Thus, when the NFL makes these partnerships, the players benefit.

These lucrative NFL gambling deals are possible because there’s a huge base of fans who want to gamble on NFL games- thinking they’re able to successfully predict outcomes. What happens then when the integrity of the results are called into question as a result of participating players betting on the games? That huge base of fans wanting to bet is going to shrink, the gambling deals are going to lose their value, revenue is going to go down, and the players are going to be paid less.

It really is NOT too much to ask to ask that NFL don’t bet on the games that they are the owners are benefiting so handsomely from.

Not a player but it's only a matter of time before another Tim Donaghy is found in the NFL officiating crew. IMO.

Still can’t get past that Kings Lakers series in 02. Probably one of the most obvious heists since the Black Sox. To this day, I’m very skeptical when I watch the NBA because of it, it was clear they wanted the LA market vs the NJ market which meant more money.

This perception is what the NFL does not want hence the hard line stance.

The whole “WeLL tHe OwnERz ArE iN the bED wITh DrAFtKingz, SO who caREz?” take is terrible.

Here’s a new flash: players are absolutely seeing windfalls from the NFL’s relationship with the sports betting companies. 48.5% of the NFL’s revenue goes to the players. Thus, when the NFL makes these partnerships, the players benefit.

These lucrative NFL gambling deals are possible because there’s a huge base of fans who want to gamble on NFL games- thinking they’re able to successfully predict outcomes. What happens then when the integrity of the results are called into question as a result of participating players betting on the games? That huge base of fans wanting to bet is going to shrink, the gambling deals are going to lose their value, revenue is going to go down, and the players are going to be paid less.

It really is NOT too much to ask to ask that NFL don’t bet on the games that they are the owners are benefiting so handsomely from.
I care because I had a neighbor whose life was ruined, including his ex-wife's and son's lives, because of his addiction to gambling. I also have a friend who owned a lucrative business and lost it because of gambling. And nobody is making more money on gambling than the 32 NYFL owners, especially compared to the thousands of players who MAY be splitting the proceeds. If it's so bad for the INTEGRITY of the game for the players to participate then the owners shouldn't be participating either, especially when it's their money behind the gambling sites and the fact that they make the rules being used for gambling.

Still can’t get past that Kings Lakers series in 02. Probably one of the most obvious heists since the Black Sox. To this day, I’m very skeptical when I watch the NBA because of it, it was clear they wanted the LA market vs the NJ market which meant more money.

This perception is what the NFL does not want hence the hard line stance.
Then they need to take that same hard line stance for the owners as the players and get out of gambling.

Does your workplace have a ban on betting at work?
I’m pretty sure everyone’s employer would prefer that their employees actually work when they are at work, and not gamble.

I support the attempt by the NYFL to try to derail gambling by players but the punishment far outweighs the crime. That's especially true now that the NYFL is pushing gambling to it's customers in order to squeeze every last dollar from them. Granted, if it's against the rules (which I'm sure it is) then some punishment is in order, but indefinite suspensions is way over the top.

The players better get their contract right the next time or they'll be more like slaves on a plantation than football players entertaining fans. How about a three strikes and your out type of penalty? First offense is a few games, second a few more and the third could be the biggie. Throwing players out indefinitely for a first offense is bogus.

I've said this in the past.. the NFL players union is the weakest of all the professional sports unions . The NBAPA being the strongest. They constantly give in to the owners and Goodell.

Furthermore if your Making 10, 20 million why are you betting for peanuts and risking your career. I have no issues with players betting but be smart about it. Bet within the parameters of thier CBA and they will be fine..

I care because I had a neighbor whose life was ruined, including his ex-wife's and son's lives, because of his addiction to gambling. I also have a friend who owned a lucrative business and lost it because of gambling. And nobody is making more money on gambling than the 32 NYFL owners, especially compared to the thousands of players who MAY be splitting the proceeds. If it's so bad for the INTEGRITY of the game for the players to participate then the owners shouldn't be participating either, especially when it's their money behind the gambling sites and the fact that they make the rules being used for gambling.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about here: no NFL personnel are allowed to bet on NFL games- that includes players, coaches, trainers, etc.

And again, everyone in the NFL is profiting off of it, including the players; it’s really not too much to ask that players don’t bet on NFL games lol.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about here: no NFL personnel are allowed to bet on NFL games- that includes players, coaches, trainers, etc.

And again, everyone in the NFL is profiting off of it, including the players; it’s really not too much to ask that players don’t bet on NFL games lol.
Once again, I'm not arguing against penalties for gambling, I'm arguing that there's no way on this earth that a player should lose his career over a bet while the owners are funding and operating gambling sites. Ban it altogether rather than use it as a hammer over the player's heads.

Let's do some math. For the sake of the discussion let's say that the NYFL made 100 million from gambling. Supposedly that means that 51 mil would go to the owners and 49 mil to the players. That works out to be 1.6 mil per owner and about 25 K per player.

Bob Kraft invested 400K in Draft Kings before gambling became legal in Taxachusetts and I bet the value of that investment has skyrocketed. We can only guess what impact he had over that by making the rules on the games being gambled on, but I'm sure it's significant.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back