PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the Roster

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We spend a lot of time beating on our least favorite players. How about we rank the roster from best to worst? Feel free to rank as many as you want. Optionally include where you think they sit in the league at their respective positions if you feel they may be near the top of the league.

The idea behind this is to see who is valuable because with year to year roster turnover being as high as it is you need to figure out who to keep. A solid team usually just have a few top flight players at some key positions and a whole lot of depth in the middle.

Here's my top 10:

1. Barmore (top 5-10 DL) - Has turned into an absolute monster. Has one of the highest pass rush win rates and rising double team rate for Interior DL)
2. Judon (top 5 DE/OLB)
3. Godchaux - He and Barmore make the rest of the defense's job easier. Gotta be of the best NTs around.
4. Jonathan Jones - top 3 Slot Corner, still really good on the outside
5. Peppers - moves around but I'd say top 6 FS
6. Gonzalez - looked like a top 10-15 CB already
7. Bentley - top 10-12 ILB, maybe higher
8. Onwenu - playing out of position and injured, but a very good RG
9. Dugger - Mistake prone at times but a playmaker (top 10 at SS, lower at FS)
10. Stevenson - top 15 RB. Somewhat of a down year but his hands have come a long way.

This was actually hard to do. Placing Dugger was hard. Sometimes I think he's one of our best players and other times I don't. Couldn't figure out how to order Barmore, Judon, and Godchaux. No surprise this is so defensively heavy but it's shocking how hard it was to think about adding anyone from the offense. Maybe David Andrews?

We spend a lot of time beating on our least favorite players. How about we rank the roster from best to worst? Feel free to rank as many as you want. Optionally include where you think they sit in the league at their respective positions if you feel they may be near the top of the league.

The idea behind this is to see who is valuable because with year to year roster turnover being as high as it is you need to figure out who to keep. A solid team usually just have a few top flight players at some key positions and a whole lot of depth in the middle.

Here's my top 10:

1. Barmore (top 5-10 DL) - Has turned into an absolute monster. Has one of the highest pass rush win rates and rising double team rate for Interior DL)
2. Judon (top 5 DE/OLB)
3. Godchaux - He and Barmore make the rest of the defense's job easier. Gotta be of the best NTs around.
10. Stevenson - top 15 RB. Somewhat of a down year but his hands have come a long way.

This was actually hard to do. Placing Dugger was hard. Sometimes I think he's one of our best players and other times I don't. Couldn't figure out how to order Barmore, Judon, and Godchaux. No surprise this is so defensively heavy but it's shocking how hard it was to think about adding anyone from the offense. Maybe David Andrews?

Great effort. I am not sure Godchuax is #3, but the Pats run defense is 2nd in the league at total run yards/game. Barmore and Godchaux are very good. Keion White is starting to show up too. Maybe White and Sam Roberts can emerge next year?

Honorable mentions to demario douglas and Kendrick bourne if resigned. I feel really good about them as #2 and #3 wr.

Tavai has been very good especially at his salary. White is one to keep an eye on

Great effort. I am not sure Godchuax is #3, but the Pats run defense is 2nd in the league at total run yards/game. Barmore and Godchaux are very good. Keion White is starting to show up too. Maybe White and Sam Roberts can emerge next year?
In a vacuum yeah Godchaux is fine but when a run stuffing NT is one of your best players (and highest paid) it's a sign things aren't going well with your roster.

In a vacuum yeah Godchaux is fine but when a run stuffing NT is one of your best players (and highest paid) it's a sign things aren't going well with your roster.

Godchaux and Barmore, with help, are rated 2nd lowest in the league in yards/game in run defense. And you say that is "fine". Are you afraid to say something good about the Pats? Instead you try to twist a positive comment into "things aren't going well". Why can't you be positive about the 2nd best run defense in the league?

Just for posterity:

53. Myles Bryant
The Mac Jones of the defense

Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

Godchaux and Barmore, with help, are rated 2nd lowest in the league in yards/game in run defense. And you say that is "fine". Are you afraid to say something good about the Pats? Instead you try to twist a positive comment into "things aren't going well". Why can't you be positive about the 2nd best run defense in the league?
I think Barmore is a very good player and seems to be coming on as of late after flashing and disappearing his first few years. The difference with Barmore is he offers some pass rush and isn't just a fat guy who clogs up the guard and center in the run game. Godchaux is fine in his role but his role really isn't all that important in today's NFL. It is a passing league and to have a 2 down, situational player with the third largest cap hit on the team is laughable.

good list. Maybe Tavai, Pop Douglass and the frikkn punter knockin' on the door of the top 10? I think Strange and Sow are keepers, but not top 10. Oh, and what do y'all think about Jennings. he seems to have really picked up his game?

Actually, I think it's a key cog, that makes the thing work. Ted Washington, Vince Wilfork and a couple others I'm too old to remember. The championship teams always had a solid anchor.

I think Barmore is a very good player and seems to be coming on as of late after flashing and disappearing his first few years. The difference with Barmore is he offers some pass rush and isn't just a fat guy who clogs up the guard and center in the run game. Godchaux is fine in his role but his role really isn't all that important in today's NFL. It is a passing league and to have a 2 down, situational player with the third largest cap hit on the team is laughable.

You can't look at one thing in isolation. We have the most cap space in the league. Do you want the cap space or high priced players that get paid more than Godchaux? No team can have both.

I prefer having the cap space and am glad Gochaux is one of the highest paid.

Here's my top 10:

2. Judon (top 5 DE/OLB)

Great post, hard to argue with that.

I'll say on Gonzo he was playing at an elite level before the injury. He likely is a top 5 CB in the league.

Peppers is absolutely a top 5 safety, arguably our best safety. Dugger is definitely right there behind him.

On offense.. boy this is where it gets hard. Who outside of rham and Douglas could be seen as a top 10 player?

You can't look at one thing in isolation. We have the most cap space in the league. Do you want the cap space or high priced players that get paid more than Godchaux? No team can have both.

I prefer having the cap space and am glad Gochaux is one of the highest paid.
Ideally we would have talented players taking up the most cap space. Since we don't have many talented players we end up with role players in the top 3.

Actually, I think it's a key cog, that makes the thing work. Ted Washington, Vince Wilfork and a couple others I'm too old to remember. The championship teams always had a solid anchor.
Those guys are also for one and two decades ago and the game has changed. Those teams also had a very important player on the other side of the ball that was the main reason they were championship teams.

Here's my top 10:

2. Judon (top 5 DE/OLB)

One out of ten is on defense. That's the work of a failed GM.

Ideally we would have talented players taking up the most cap space. Since we don't have many talented players we end up with role players in the top 3.
We end up with role players in the top 3 and a lot of cap space. I think that is the way to go (save the cap space) and use the cap space on talented players when we have a functional QB. Wasting cap money this year on talented players and being in the middle of the pack is a laughable approach in my opinion. I am gald we are bottoming so we can get our QB (hopefully) of the future. I do not think that is a laughable approach - I think it is smart to have role players in the Top 3.

Great call outs on Baringer, Bourne, and Douglas. I could make the case for Baringer cracking the top 10. Jennings might be in there too. I made the thread about him after this one.

We end up with role players in the top 3 and a lot of cap space. I think that is the way to go (save the cap space) and use the cap space on talented players when we have a functional QB. Wasting cap money this year on talented players and being in the middle of the pack is a laughable approach in my opinion. I am gald we are bottoming so we can get our QB (hopefully) of the future. I do not think that is a laughable approach - I think it is smart to have role players in the Top 3.
I get that we have cap space and probably the worst roster in the league. I am saying because he is highly paid and preforms adequately in a limited role doesn't make him a great player.

I get that we have cap space and probably the worst roster in the league. I am saying because he is highly paid and preforms adequately in a limited role doesn't make him a great player.

Godchaux is not highly paid. Look at the pay for that position. You can then say that the other players are better, but our run defense is 2nd best in the league, so how much better are the other guys at that position if their run defense is worse. How can you say Godchaux performs adequately if we have the 2nd best run defense in the league? You should judge performance by results. Gochaux's results have been great this year.

Godchaux is not highly paid. Look at the pay for that position. You can then say that the other players are better, but our run defense is 2nd best in the league, so how much better are the other guys at that position if their run defense is worse. How can you say Godchaux performs adequately if we have the 2nd best run defense in the league? You should judge performance by results. Gochaux's results have been great this year.
The guys who make more than him offer some pass rush ability. He makes $10 mill a year to play a little over 50% of the defensive snaps. He's adequate. He's fine in his role. His role isn't important. He's overpaid. We can ground and around if you want but it is what it is.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back