PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Isaiah Bolden Update Thread

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Thanks Ian, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Scary scene and the hit is perplexing since it's hard to tell how he actually got injured. Seems like maybe Munson punched him in the side of the head inadvertently.

From the Angle of the video Ian posted, it is perplexing. It was almost as if Bolden was going down prior to getting hit by Munson. The best view would be the all-22..

EDIT: Watching and especially listening to the replay a dozen times or so, there is a loud POP of a helmet hitting either another helmet or shoulder pads as Bolden and Munson come together. Still would like to see a better angle. NFL+ won't have the all-22 up until late tomorrow or Monday.

Last edited:
Sad to wake up to this news. I wish the young man a speedy and full recovery.

Fingers crossed. Hopefully he's okay. That sucked to watch.

On a serious note, I want to thank the Bills and Bengals for setting the precedent that some things are more important than finishing a game, especially a preseason one.

Awful. Having feeling in his arms and legs is an excellent development

Last edited:
Great news if Bolden can feel his extremities, but extent of injury not fully known currently.
Glad to see all agreed to end the game, the challenge for BB & coaches is to get the team to be able to move on from this incident and get focused on Tennessee. Matt Slater displayed great leadership, fortunate he is still with the team.
The NFL has come a log way from the days of "walk it off", fortunately for the players and their families.

This is exactly why the NFL has come under intense scrutiny regarding player safety. This type of injury is pretty much completely unavoidable and no advanced helmet technology will prevent. Basically this represents a traumatic closed head injury and sometimes the sequelae can be severe and rarely permanent. Short of switching to flag football, this can not be legislated out of the sport.
Hoping for the best for Bolden and a rapid recovery.

The ugly side of a violent sport

Props to SamBam for expanding the vocab of the board.

Bending the rules here because of the unusual circumstances. May the forum Gods and Ian forgive me. From the Athletic this mornig

Isaiah Bolden, injured Patriots rookie, turned teammates into fans: ‘All the guys love him’​

By Chad Graff
7h ago

Matthew Slater took a liking to Isaiah Bolden after meeting him for the first time shortly after the New England Patriots picked Bolden in the seventh round of this spring’s NFL Draft.
After starting his college career at Florida State, Bolden transferred in 2020 to Jackson State, where he played for Deion Sanders. Slater loved having an alum of a historically black college and university on the team. Slater’s parents went to Jackson State. It’s where his dad, Jackie, starred as an offensive tackle, the precursor to a Hall of Fame career. So Slater, 37, had a lot to talk about with the 23-year-old rookie from Tampa, Fla.
Bolden also recognized that special teams were crucial to his goal of making the Patriots’ 53-man roster. He had been the best kickoff returner in the FCS, leading the subdivision in return yards in 2021. So who better to have as his mentor than Slater?
That’s part of what made what transpired Saturday night so hard for Slater and the Patriots. Even if Bolden has only been with the team since April, he has already made a big impact.
During the fourth quarter of Saturday’s preseason game against the Packers in Green Bay, Bolden collided with teammate Calvin Munson, fell to the turf and lay motionless. He was immobilized and taken off the field on a stretcher. The Patriots and Packers agreed to call off the remainder of the game, which had 10 minutes, 29 seconds left on the clock.
https://theathletic.com/4789905/2023/08/19/patriots-packers-isaiah-bolden-injury/
Bolden had feeling in his extremities and was taken to a hospital, according to a team statement. He will stay at the hospital overnight, and the team will provide its next update in the morning. While trainers tended to Bolden, Slater gathered teammates for a prayer.

“He’s been a joy to be around,” Slater said of Bolden. “He’s a young man that has a lot of talent, but he’s a young man that always has a smile on his face, is always positive, is always bringing great energy to practice.”
Bolden arrived in New England after a couple of standout years at Jackson State. He was a four-star recruit in high school and, again, initially attended Florida State. But after two years there, the coaching staff wanted to flip him from cornerback to wide receiver. He didn’t want to make that change.
So, Bolden transferred to Jackson State to play for Sanders. There, he quickly turned into one of the most exciting players in FCS. In 2021, he was a standout kick returner. In 2022, he became a starting cornerback and parlayed his success into becoming a Day 3 pick of the Patriots.
That was good news for Mac Jones. The quarterback from Jacksonville, Fla., grew up playing in seven-on-seven tournaments in the state and occasionally faced Bolden. Jones knew Bolden could play.
“Definitely one of my brothers,” Jones said. “Sounds like he’s doing a lot better, from what they’re telling us (at the hospital). So, that’s awesome.”
Bolden has made a quick impression on the Patriots coaches. He has been squarely on the roster bubble, fighting for a chance to make the team, and coaches seemed to recognize that Saturday. Bolden got playing time at cornerback before Marcus Jones and Ameer Speed.
That speaks to the progress he has made in recent weeks. Bolden had a pair of strong practices against the Packers earlier this week and seemed poised to forge a path to the roster.
“He’s been very good,” safety Jalen Mills said. “I think he just had a daughter this offseason. He’s a great rookie. Works hard each and every day, asks questions. Nothing really bad to say about the kid. I just hope for the best for him.”
Bolden put himself on the Patriots’ radar because of his speed and prowess as a returner. During the pre-draft process, he ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash. Patriots scouts marveled at his athleticism.
When the Patriots selected Bolden with the 245th pick, he became the lone player drafted this spring from an HBCU.

“It means a lot to me, carrying the weight of the HBCUs,” Bolden said after the draft. “There are a lot of talented guys out there.”
From there, it didn’t take long for Bolden to make a positive impression on his teammates, who now anxiously await another update on his status. The Patriots had planned to travel to Nashville on Sunday, then begin joint practices against the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday.
It wasn’t immediately clear after the game whether that was going to be impacted. Thoughts afterward were with the rookie who has already ingratiated himself with teammates amid a battle to make the Week 1 roster.
“All the guys love him,” Slater said. “He’s fit into our locker room seamlessly.”

Extra padding should reduce the peak impact forces, and maybe broaden the envelope. But I don’t think equipment improvements will ever completely mitigate the effects of a collision like that. Thing is, he also spun around about 270 degrees so some of the forces were from the shift in momentum and what that did to the contents of his skull. Coup-countercoup seems an overly simplistic model for what we saw on that collision. Lots of nastiness in that moment. Praying for the best Possible outcome.

Guardian cap can't really broaden the impact much as not thick or stiff enough to do that - but that's what the helmet itself is designed to do.
Every collision is a bit different so this stuff is very hard to model. A lot depends on where the brain is relative to skull at the moment of impact, and that is dependent on acceleration prior to impact.

I read a paper where they were simply dropping the helmets onto hard surfaces at various speeds and measuring the acceleration on impact - the Guardian caps didn't do much at all except for a very modest impact at the highest speeds. But I could imagine incidents similar to Bolden's where you are dealing with a sharp glancing blow where the cap could have a very significant protective effect.

Scary, scary moment. Handled correctly all around. Sobering.

I'm glad he's okay. I really like the kid, from everything I've heard and read, and apparently he's very loved in that locker room.

Scary, scary moment. Handled correctly all around. Sobering.

I'm glad he's okay. I really like the kid, from everything I've heard and read, and apparently he's very loved in that locker room.
Agreed. I’m hoping this doesn’t get into his head (so to speak) and affect his desire and ability to play with abandon.

Glad to hear he's ok

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back