PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Isaiah Bolden Update Thread

Breaking New England Patriots Team News

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Given what happened tonight, I'll put this here so we can follow whatever comes out about him.

For those who are unaware, he was taken off the field in a stretcher following this play, which led to the game being suspended with 10:29 left to play.

Please use this thread for news updates, and the post game thread for discussion on the game.

Thanks Ian, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Scary scene and the hit is perplexing since it's hard to tell how he actually got injured. Seems like maybe Munson punched him in the side of the head inadvertently.

Off the cuff in the game thread, I speculated that it might be more serious than it is based on the reaction by both teams. He's not out of the woods yet, but I'm glad he has feeling in his extremities. I apologize.

This is exactly why the NFL has come under intense scrutiny regarding player safety. This type of injury is pretty much completely unavoidable and no advanced helmet technology will prevent. Basically this represents a traumatic closed head injury and sometimes the sequelae can be severe and rarely permanent. Short of switching to flag football, this can not be legislated out of the sport.
Hoping for the best for Bolden and a rapid recovery.

The ugly side of a violent sport

Slater was very impressive with his comments regarding Bolden in his post game interview. Hopefully he remains with the Patriots in some type of leadership/coaching capacity after he retires.

Slater was very impressive with his comments regarding Bolden in his post game interview. Hopefully he remains with the Patriots in some type of leadership/coaching capacity after he retires.
Agree.

here‘s the link:

Looked like a blow to the side of his head.

Those Guardian caps that the linemen have been wearing look ugly but would very likely help some in an incident like this.

Tough to tell if helmet would make a difference. Agree it looked like a blow to side of head, but couldn’t even tell if result was traumatic closed head injury or possibly neck injury. Not familiar with the Guardian helmets so can’t begin to guess whether they’d have any effectiveness mitigating countercoup, for example. Just too many unknowns at this time.

a temple shot? I've taken a couple of those in the ring....they're called "out go da lights". If this is true he'll be OK ....a temple shot is not nerve damage

Glad it seems like he's okay.. hoping for the best and a full, speedy recovery..

Not familiar with the Guardian helmets so can’t begin to guess whether they’d have any effectiveness mitigating countercoup, for example

Extra padding reduces the g-forces involved, so the Guardian helmets should help also in a contrecoup injury (where the injury happens to the brain opposite where the hit occurred). But it's not going to be a dramatic difference - they aren't thick enough to do that.

Extra padding reduces the g-forces involved, so the Guardian helmets should help also in a contrecoup injury (where the injury happens to the brain opposite where the hit occurred). But it's not going to be a dramatic difference - they aren't thick enough to do that.
Extra padding should reduce the peak impact forces, and maybe broaden the envelope. But I don’t think equipment improvements will ever completely mitigate the effects of a collision like that. Thing is, he also spun around about 270 degrees so some of the forces were from the shift in momentum and what that did to the contents of his skull. Coup-countercoup seems an overly simplistic model for what we saw on that collision. Lots of nastiness in that moment. Praying for the best Possible outcome.

Glad it seems like he's okay.. hoping for the best and a full, speedy recovery..
Yeah, but I think it’s way to early to say he’s okay. It’s good that he’s still alive. There are positive signs to provide grounds for optimism but things could still go sideways. Keep praying for him.

Extra padding should reduce the peak impact forces, and maybe broaden the envelope. But I don’t think equipment improvements will ever completely mitigate the effects of a collision like that. Thing is, he also spun around about 270 degrees so some of the forces were from the shift in momentum and what that did to the contents of his skull. Coup-countercoup seems an overly simplistic model for what we saw on that collision. Lots of nastiness in that moment. Praying for the best Possible outcome.

Has the Q-Collar been debunked as ineffective, too uncomfortable, etc.? A while back I thought some pro players were starting to wear it but haven't seen this lately.

Has the Q-Collar been debunked as ineffective, too uncomfortable, etc.? A while back I thought some pro players were starting to wear it but haven't seen this lately.

I hadn’t seen anything about it before your post. So I don’t know anyth8ng about it, especially whether it’s been debunked, validated, or even studied objectively at all. My initial reaction to the claimed mechanism of protection, pressure on the jugular restricting return flow thus increasing intracranial fluid volume and reducing brain movement caused by impacts, was an intuitive skepticism. But I’d want to have an in depth analysis not just my knee jerk reaction as a basis for evaluation. Would be interested to see such, if anyone has done one. Not optimistic it’s been done though, knee jerk reactions on both sides seems more likely. Sign of the times.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back