PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Round 7 - Isaiah Bolden - #245 overall

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Finish off the 2023 Draft By Taking Jackson State CB Isaiah Bolden in Round 7
Ian Logue
After taking Michigan State defensive back Ameer Speed with their final pick in the sixth round, the Patriots closed things out with their final pick of the 2023 NFL Draft by taking another cornerback. This time around, they opted for Jackson State's Isaiah Bolden with the 245th selection in the seventh round.

The post Patriots Finish off the 2023 Draft By Taking Jackson State CB Isaiah Bolden in Round 7 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Never thought I'd ever have reason to question a 7th round pick but this is a unique circumstance...

If they liked a guy enough to give him a 200k guaranteed UDFA deal, why not just grab him at this spot and then sign this guy to a normal UDFA deal?

Did they do it this way just for the significance of drafting a HBCU player?

Never thought I'd ever have reason to question a 7th round pick but this is a unique circumstance...

If they liked a guy enough to give him a 200k guaranteed UDFA deal, why not just grab him at this spot and then sign this guy to a normal UDFA deal?

Did they do it this way just for the significance of drafting a HBCU player?
UDFA guarantees are really misleading. The rookie practice squad salary this year is $216,000, and these UDFA guarantees have offset language. That means Cunningham’s $170k guaranteed salary only comes into play he fails to make even a practice squad. If he makes a PS or roster either in NE or elsewhere, then those guarantees are entirely offset by what he earns.

That leaves the signing bonus portion of the guaranteed, which is where draft picks win. Bolden should get right around $86k, while Cunningham got $30k. That’s in addition to whatever salary they earn, without any offsets.

If they don’t make a PS or roster:
Bolden: $86,000
Cunningham: $200,000

If they are on a PS for the entire season:
Bolden: $302,000
Cunningham: $246,000

If they are on an active roster for the entire season:
Bolden: $836,000
Cunningham: $780,000

There are hundreds of ways to mix these possibilities on a week-to-week basis, but you get the idea.

UDFA guarantees are really misleading. The rookie practice squad salary this year is $216,000, and these UDFA guarantees have offset language. That means Cunningham’s $170k guaranteed salary only comes into play he fails to make even a practice squad. If he makes a PS or roster either in NE or elsewhere, then those guarantees are entirely offset by what he earns.

That leaves the signing bonus portion of the guaranteed, which is where draft picks win. Bolden should get right around $86k, while Cunningham got $30k. That’s in addition to whatever salary they earn, without any offsets.

If they don’t make a PS or roster:
Bolden: $86,000
Cunningham: $200,000

If they are on a PS for the entire season:
Bolden: $302,000
Cunningham: $246,000

If they are on an active roster for the entire season:
Bolden: $836,000
Cunningham: $780,000

There are hundreds of ways to mix these possibilities on a week-to-week basis, but you get the idea.
Hall of fame post. Thanks for the great clarification on my somewhat obscure question.

Random dude on YT (Doug Smith) says to watch this as they cover this super fast dude a lot on Deion Sanders's documentary. I have Prime to watch Prime, but not enough Time.

Edit: Link doesn't work so search for the Amazon Prime Original series, Coach Prime.

Also for fun - don't think he reached anywhere close to top speed on this.

I like this pick way more than the Speed pick. Besides Bolden’s height and speed, he’s a great return man. I think it’s interesting the Pats drafted 3 corners that are at least 6’2” and run under 4.4. Now Speed and Bolden may never make it, but they give you excellent speed on special teams. Plus eventually, if one, or both make it. You’ll have size and speed all over the secondary. I can imagine the Pats using one of these fast, tall DB’s to cover talented TE’s as well.

I'm betting Bolden sticks as a returner in 2023...if they practice squad him he's as good as gone.DO NOT sacrifice this kid with 4.28 speed and TD return skills.

I like this pick way more than the Speed pick. Besides Bolden’s height and speed, he’s a great return man. I think it’s interesting the Pats drafted 3 corners that are at least 6’2” and run under 4.4. Now Speed and Bolden may never make it, but they give you excellent speed on special teams. Plus eventually, if one, or both make it. You’ll have size and speed all over the secondary. I can imagine the Pats using one of these fast, tall DB’s to cover talented TE’s as well.

I think Speed and Bolden, like Broad, are strictly ST players, maybe gunners, going forward. Speed, anyway, replaces Slater. Bolden has a bit more versatility than Speed.

I think Speed and Bolden, like Broad, are strictly ST players, maybe gunners, going forward. Speed, anyway, replaces Slater. Bolden has a bit more versatility than Speed.

Of course they're strictly Special olympics Teamers; that's why Notgoat drafted them in the first place, instead of Real Cornerbacks.

Of course they're strictly Special olympics Teamers; that's why Notgoat drafted them in the first place, instead of Real Cornerbacks.
Bolden will likely replace Wade in the roster. The roster spot of he who shall be named depending finding a backup PR.

I'm more than fine with the EIGHT position defensive backs, with Bolden as our developmental #9. As with OT, Belichick didn't see folks that added more than those that he does.

2023 DEFENSIVE BACKS
CB: Gonzo, Jon Jones, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones, Bolden
S: Dugger, Mills, Phillips, Peppers
ST: Schooler, Speed
PS: Bledsoe
==================
I really don't see the whining about late round flyers. IMO, All FOUR have better chances in the league that most 6th and 7th rounder. ANd one of our UDFA's is likely to make the 53. All may make the 53 or the Practice Squad.
==============
BOTTOM LINE - ELEVEN SOLID DRAFTEES PLUS UDFA's
No one expected so many draft choices. As usual, many mediots and posters though that we could do better.
TWO likely 2023 major contributors: Gonzo, White
TWO Special Teams starters: Ryland, Berringer
ONE Special Teamer who will compete for a starting job: Speed
TWO players likely to have lots of reps in 2023: Sow, Mapu
FOUR players with a good chance to compete for a roster spot: Bolden, Mafi, Boutte, Douglas,
and ONE UDFA's who will likely make the roster

Last edited:

Nice read there Gonzo and Bolden what a future and no fly zone for opposing WR's Iike what I'm hearing about him.
This guy is going to be a lifetime patriot and probably one of the few who will sign a long term contract in his 4th year. Just a hunch.

A small one, and becoming increasingly smaller.
You're almost certainly right about Speed being a STO guy. Not so sure about Board - he might see reps at LB.

I think you're wrong on Bolden. He's going to be a CB, and a good one, in the NFL. That's my BOLD PREDICTION, and I don't think it's all that bold, honestly.

You're almost certainly right about Speed being a STO guy. Not so sure about Board - he might see reps at LB.

I think you're wrong on Bolden. He's going to be a CB, and a good one, in the NFL. That's my BOLD PREDICTION, and I don't think it's all that bold, honestly.
I agree. I think he is going to be a sleeper hit in the mould of Seattle 2022 rookie CB Tariq Woolen.i wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses gonzo. I know it's too much to say at this point , but that's what hunches are for. some exaggerations and some bragging rights if it worked . If it doesn't well, it was just a long shot.. either ways a win-win scenario.

Very strange complaint since he drafted a legit corner in first round. And don't look now but Bolden looks like he might be a real one too.

Very strange complaint since he drafted a legit corner in first round. And don't look now but Bolden looks like he might be a real one too.
I agree.

Bolden will make the team or not as a backup cornerback. And yes, backup cornerbacks should be able to play lots of special teams.

I would think that we all would be celebrating our finding of a CB to replace Bryant at the bottom of the CB depth chart.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back