PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm not too concerned Goodell will punish the Patriots more - this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Goodell is an executive and his decisions are influenced by public opinion, often too much by it rather than dispassionately determining the right thing. At some point, if you beat up on somebody, they become a martyr and make yourself the oppressor. In a limited way, this has already happened with DeflateGate...outside the Patriots Nation, Goodell's image has been further tarnished while Brady still has a strong fan base, even with sympathy by some.

For example, if Goodell were to punish Brady for the missing NFL logo, it would change the dynamics and you would see NFL fans in general stop hating the Pats so much and start feeling for them. Goodell and the owners does not want this to happen.

You have seen the movie when someone taunts: "Go ahead - hit me" and you figure they have something up their sleeve that will make them regret it if they take the bait. Part of me hopes Goodell would be petty enough to make something out of the NFL decal issue, but I think he's smart enough to know it would backfire.

Last edited:
The missing NFL logo?

Is that still a thing?o_O

Goodell isn't an executive, he's a doofus punching bag that the ownership must love. He's making them money hand over fist while also being such a lightning rod for hate. He'll do whatever the owners bid.

Basically imagine the owners all listened to Cris Carter's advice and got a fall guy, that fall guy would be Goodell.

Plus, imagine what a bargaining chip he is for the owners. "Sure, we'll get rid of Goodell, as long as you agree to work minimum wage."

I disagree, Goodell is praying someone accuses the Pats of wrongdoing. And all it takes is one complaint. He spent 10+ million on raping the Pats on probably the most minor complaint, imagine if it's worse than air in a football. Especially if the Pats go on a ridiculous run this year. Unfortunately it's not if it'll happen, it's when. And as we have all seen, there doesn't even need to be proof to be penalized.

What are we getting punished for? The team hasn't done anything illegal since week 2 2007, when they had their camera man in the wrong spot on the field.

Just don't have a clue why this thread exists.
You seem to be under the impression that the team has to do something wrong in order to be punished.

The next time they aren't gonna mess around. It will be BB and it'll be a year from all football operations.

watch it happen after the Pats win SB51 in like March 2017. BB suspended for "football management reasons"

Loss of 3 1st round draft picks, suspended for all of 2017 season.

Love ya takes, rw, but I think you're kidding yourself.

The NFL does not need to go to court again. It's bad for business.

Goody is lying low until the CBA.

The NFL does not need to go to court again. It's bad for business.

Goody is lying low until the CBA.
Not if the Pats keep winning, beat the Steelers and keep rolling. Mara, Rooney, Jerrah, et al will be in a frenzy again. Plus, he can do whatever he wants to anyone now, with no fear of court.

goodell was legally successful in harshly punishing Brady and the Patriots for no reason at all. The power probably went right to his head, the next time he won't even bother inventing a reason to punish the team

"I'm giving Bill Belichick a lifetime ban from the NFL because there area 31 other owners who are sick of losing to The Patriots. And there's nothing that you can do about it, New England"

Not if the Pats keep winning, beat the Steelers and keep rolling. Mara, Rooney, Jerrah, et al will be in a frenzy again.
It's possible but it would be the dumbest move made by the league office in NFL history. Owners need to stay united and do not need the NFLPA to dig in more than they already claim they will be

It's possible but it would be the dumbest move made by the league office in NFL history. Owners need to stay united and do not need the NFLPA to dig in more than they already claim they will be
That's absolutely rational. The problem is that jealous millionaires with a track record of getting what they want from a dangling puppet always get what they want from a dangling puppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back