PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk: arm injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. It seems that they're basically trading healthy Gronk for healthy Hernandez right now. Especially with Edelman contributing, I don't know if they need Branch any more right now than they did 24 hours ago.

Well with Carpenter and Ventrone likely out of the yoyo waiver wire competition this year,perhaps Deion is next man up :snob:

Last edited:
Since he is having surgery..i would say it's much more than a tiny hairline fracture

Surgery for screws and plates doesn't really signify much as to the severity of the break. That's pretty much the standard treatment for athletes. Fastest, strongest, most reliable healing, for a minor fracture or a major fracture. It's just a better treatment approach than the old-school method of immobilizing the break in the cast.

There is also a chance (not saying a good chance) that when he gets the surgery that the doctor says that it was not as bad as first diagnosed.

Didn't Bryan Cox get his leg broken in 2001 and only missed 4 weeks?

Last edited:
Surgery for screws and plates doesn't really signify much as to the severity of the break. That's pretty much the standard treatment for athletes. Fastest, strongest, most reliable healing, for a minor fracture or a major fracture. It's just a better treatment approach than the old-school method of immobilizing the break in the cast.

There is also a chance (not saying a good chance) that when he gets the surgery that the doctor says that it was not as bad as first diagnosed.

Didn't Bryan Cox get his leg broken in 2001 and only missed 4 weeks?

For those of us old enough to remember,there wasn't a tougher S.O.B. in NFL history than former Rams LB Jack Youngblood.

In the 1979 playoffs,Youngblood broke his fibula bone during the game and RETURNED the same game a quarter later by putting a plastic cast on it,he then went on to play the next game and the Super Bowl with the broken calf bone and without anything but that flimsy cast.

That my friends,was a MAN amongst men....these days you will never see that happen again.

Last edited:
Ok, as an EMT my professional opinion is 15 liters of O2 and prepare for transport, reevaluate every 15 minutes.

Don't know if they would go so far as to have surgery done on just a hairline fracture,it's definitely at least a break in the bone.

If that's the case I suspect you're right. Surgery for a hairline fracture doesn't seem to add up to me (though I have little medical knowledge). Maybe putting a screw in is considered surgery? Would they put a screw in for a more mild fracture that would facilitate a quicker healing/return? Maybe I am grasping at straws? :D

Yet I haven't seen anything other than sources saying he will have surgery and be out 4 to 6 weeks. Sources have been wrong and in general reports like these should be met with at least a modicum of skepticism.

with gronk out who is our red zone threat? :(

Hmm. Lloyd, Welker, Shiancoe, Fells, Edelman, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, Hernandez. Take your pick..

Rodney was a guy with a high pain threshold....

Look for Branch to be back as well as Hernandez....

Branch won't be back until he's healthy and that could be awhile also.

This is unbelievable

Whoever says this crap is not on BB is plain delusional. You don't have starters out there until the bitter end in 59 point blow outs.

Brady should not have been out there either. makes no sense, none at all and this is on BB.

Clearly you've never played a sport in your life and had a fluke injury happen.

Gronk is part of the PAT team. Has been the last two years. If the Pats pulled every starter, they wouldn't have enough people to put on the field for special teams.

For those of us old enough to remember,there wasn't a tougher S.O.B. in NFL history than former Rams LB Jack Youngblood.

In the 1979 playoffs,Youngblood broke his fibula bone during the game and RETURNED the same game a quarter later by putting a plastic cast on it,he then went on to play the next game and the Super Bowl with the broken calf bone and without anything but that flimsy cast.

That my friends,was a MAN amongst men....these days you will never see that happen again.

Love that story...
Way back in the day these guys would finish their deliveries at whatever trucking firm they worked at, then go out and play and get bones broken-skin ripped open, they would use duct tape to patch it up then get back out there, and they would be right back at work driving the truck the next morning.
While exaggerating for effect, the level of toughness required to play way back was insane. Check out the 1932 championship game between the Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans (the first to be played indoors). It was played on cement with some dirt from a recent circus that was in town spread around on the concrete. Ouch.....

Ballard is ineligible to return this year.

When was Ballard IRed? He was put on the PUP coming out of TC and that is where he's currently listed by the Pats..

You guys crack me up....Shiancoe shores up TE depth? He might get hurt playing 5 snaps.... We just lost the second most important player on our team for the rest of the season...and our hopes of a bye our lost. Shiancoe????please

BB should be ripped to shreds tomorrow, I hope he learns from this....Brady could have been knocked silly for throwing those rockets in a 50 point blowout.

No, BB shouldn't be ripped to shreds tomorrow. Only people who have never played the game treat it like T-Ball where every person should play and you put in the garbage players when you're winning big..

Shiancoe played more than 5 snaps. He's also an intelligent player whom the Pats have been working in slowly. He'll have to step up. So will Hoomanuwanui, Edelman, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Fells.

BTW, do everyone a favor and don't post drunk in the future. You look absolutely silly.

But not the bones, which in most cases stop growing in the late teens.

There are bones that continue growing into the early 20s. It's just not significant.

Gronk is part of the PAT team. Has been the last two years. If the Pats pulled every starter, they wouldn't have enough people to put on the field for special teams.

Agreed.
BB has his starters play on ST. And while he will pull players at certain times, he coaches with the mantra 'players play'. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone as this philosophy has been on display for 10+ years. Agree with that philosophy or not, the results speak for themselves as BB's teams are routinely known for being well prepared and mentally tough.

Fact, Gronk got hurt. Fact, it's football and injuries happen frequently. Fact, teams that have effective backup options will often find themselves in a better position in the W-L column.
Considering that, complaining that Gronk should have been in the game or not is wasted energy...

So all the 'our world is over' posts are in here, not the game thread!

Yes it is ****, but I have faith in BB!

You don't pull every starter. You do pull your key players in a blowout especially when you have to turn around and play 4 days later.
This notion that Gronk could not be replaced on the PAT team is laughable.
Guess they're going to have to replace him now eh??

What makes Gronk's injury even worse is that Hernandez can't be counted on. Aaron will be hampered with that ankle for the rest of the year.

Agreed.
BB has his starters play on ST. And while he will pull players at certain times, he coaches with the mantra 'players play'. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone as this philosophy has been on display for 10+ years. Agree with that philosophy or not, the results speak for themselves as BB's teams are routinely known for being well prepared and mentally tough.

Fact, Gronk got hurt. Fact, it's football and injuries happen frequently. Fact, teams that have effective backup options will often find themselves in a better position in the W-L column.
Considering that, complaining that Gronk should have been in the game or not is wasted energy...
I'm more surprised at the backlash given the Patriots MO under BB has been to play his starters deep and often through games, even during blowouts.

I choose to look at the bright side. If he is out 4-6 weeks healing a forearm, then those are 4-6 weeks where he has no chance of suffering a season ending ACL injury or something akin to that. The injury sucks, but he has been banged up this year anyway and knee/back injuries suck even worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft