PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk: arm injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.
BB has his starters play on ST. And while he will pull players at certain times, he coaches with the mantra 'players play'. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone as this philosophy has been on display for 10+ years. Agree with that philosophy or not, the results speak for themselves as BB's teams are routinely known for being well prepared and mentally tough.

Fact, Gronk got hurt. Fact, it's football and injuries happen frequently. Fact, teams that have effective backup options will often find themselves in a better position in the W-L column.
Considering that, complaining that Gronk should have been in the game or not is wasted energy...

Wasted energy is the lifes blood of this message board. That and challenging conventional wisdom on just how long male pueberty extends...

Love that story...
Way back in the day these guys would finish their deliveries at whatever trucking firm they worked at, then go out and play and get bones broken-skin ripped open, they would use duct tape to patch it up then get back out there, and they would be right back at work driving the truck the next morning.
While exaggerating for effect, the level of toughness required to play way back was insane. Check out the 1932 championship game between the Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans (the first to be played indoors). It was played on cement with some dirt from a recent circus that was in town spread around on the concrete. Ouch.....

As I recall, they ate the dirt for the post game meal because the owner was so cheap and then used pick axes to break up the cement so they could use the remnants as tackling dummies. Ah, those were the days! :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, nostalgia for the good old days has its place, and, since I am a few years older than a lot of posters here I will admit that I tend to engage in it from time to time, but a lot of those players couldn't walk without limping or put sentences together by the time they were in their forties.

Last edited:
I choose to look at the bright side. If he is out 4-6 weeks healing a forearm, then those are 4-6 weeks where he has no chance of suffering a season ending ACL injury or something akin to that. The injury sucks, but he has been banged up this year anyway and knee/back injuries suck even worse.

Man, I think you could permanently retire the Board's "The Glass is Half Full" trophy with that post!

To the folks who are arguing that BB is in part responsible for this becauses he should have pulled Gronk when the game was well in hand and not had him in for the PAT (if, indeed, that's when the injury occurred):

We gotta dance with the one that brung us. Belichick's philosophy is "Football Players Play Football." Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
You don't pull every starter. You do pull your key players in a blowout especially when you have to turn around and play 4 days later.
This notion that Gronk could not be replaced on the PAT team is laughable.
Guess they're going to have to replace him now eh??

What makes Gronk's injury even worse is that Hernandez can't be counted on. Aaron will be hampered with that ankle for the rest of the year.

Stop being such a big baby. Injuries happen and you throwing a tantrum doesn't change it.

Not every move Belichick makes is going to be perfect. Nobody is. You can make the argument that Gronk shouldn't have been out there, but saying Belichick should be lambasted for it is idiotic. I mean what are you even asking for? Is that somehow supposed to be punative? Belichick being scolded by the media is supposed to have some punishing effect?

I swear some of you *****ing about this must not have been paying attention for the last 12 years.

Belichick does not gameplan to avoid injuries. Because they are completely random. He only worries about the things he can control. He has said this - many, many times.

Let me say that again: Belichick does not gameplan to avoid injuries.

A player can get injured "slipping on a McDonald's bag". A player can get injured week 1 against the Chiefs. A player can get injured week 17 with a bye wrapped up. You just can't gameplan for it - so he doesn't.

Gronkowski is a part of our extra point team because extra points are important. Having a cohesive unit on extra points helps ensure that we don't end up losing a game because of a blocked extra point.

Belichick has never made an exception to this and I doubt he ever will.

Last edited:
Wasted energy is the lifes blood of this message board. That and challenging conventional wisdom on just how long male puberty extends...

Are you saying it ends?

I choose to look at the bright side. If he is out 4-6 weeks healing a forearm, then those are 4-6 weeks where he has no chance of suffering a season ending ACL injury or something akin to that. The injury sucks, but he has been banged up this year anyway and knee/back injuries suck even worse.

Sounds like it's expected to be at least 4 and less than season ending. Ideally surgery actually speeds up the process as far as sufficient healing to resume activity is concerned for athletes unless complications arise. Once xrays indicate the bone has healed around the fixtures, you are good to go. Everyone heals at different rates, but world class athletes get treatment nearly round the clock that mere mortals seldom experience.

There is a reason when the dreaded high ankle injuries occur pundits often comment that it would have been better to have broken a leg. Recovery from soft tissue and ligament injuries can drag on indefinitely and nag post return and make the player subject to reinjury. Barring an unexpected complication, once Gronk's arm is healed it'll be stronger than ever...kinda like the bionic man he in many ways resembles...

Nothing comes easy for this edition of BB's NE Patriots. And maybe that is a good thing for the long haul. No one man is more important than the team, unless his initials are TFB. The strength of the wolf is in the pack, and we do have a pack of TE's on the roster including that other guy who when healthy is debated as to the most impactful of the duo. And a few other notable weapons on offense. If the anything resembling the defense that showed up on Sunday shows up the rest of the way, we'll be fine until the bookend TE's are finally reunited.

Enough already. Injuries happen. Comebacks happen. We were 6-3 going in, not 8-1. We are where we are, it is what it is. 4-6 weeks. Next man up, and let Gronk heal.

Oh yeah did I mention... more balls for Brandon Lloyd, who suddenly remembered how to catch them. Heck, I wouldn't weep too terribly if a couple went Julian EdelMENSH's way.

Looks like Visanthe Shiancoe is back to being a fantasy play for a while. Suck it up. We lost the best TE in the game, and until 3 years ago, TE was never a key part of our offense. You don't think we can win a game or two w/o Gronk?

Tough games: Texans, 9ers

Games that should be gimmes: JEST Thursday, Fins x 2, Jaguars

Call it 4-2 to close out the season sans Gronk. Wah. That's assuming we lose to everybody in the "tough games" category, and beat the teams we're supposed to beat (or swap out a loss to the bad teams for a win against a good one.)

That's 12-4 folks. Whoever missed the playoffs even at 11-5?

Oh yeah, well except that one time.

Last edited:
I'm more surprised at the backlash given the Patriots MO under BB has been to play his starters deep and often through games, even during blowouts.

You shouldn't be. It's no different than when losses occur. Creates an opportunity for all the perpetual malcontents to wade in and join forces with the perpetual chicken littles and envision themselves creating a force for truth to be reckoned with...;)

I swear some of you *****ing about this must not have been paying attention for the last 12 years.

Belichick does not gameplan to avoid injuries. Because they are completely random. He only worries about the things he can control. He has said this - many, many times.

Let me say that again: Belichick does not gameplan to avoid injuries.

A player can get injured "slipping on a McDonald's bag". A player can get injured week 1 against the Chiefs. A player can get injured week 17 with a bye wrapped up. You just can't gameplan for it - so he doesn't.

Gronkowski is a part of our extra point team because extra points are important. Having a cohesive unit on extra points helps ensure that we don't end up losing a game because of a blocked extra point.

Belichick has never made an exception to this and I doubt he ever will.

Does anyone remember the time when Neil O' Donnell injured himself in the parking lot on the way in to the game (was it a game or practice?)

Enough already. Injuries happen. Comebacks happen. We were 6-3 going in, not 8-1. We are where we are, it is what it is. 4-6 weeks. Next man up, and let Gronk heal.

Oh yeah did I mention... more balls for Brandon Lloyd, who suddenly remembered how to catch them. Heck, I wouldn't weep too terribly if a couple went Julian EdelMENSH's way.

Looks like Visanthe Shiancoe is back to being a fantasy play for a while. Suck it up. We lost the best TE in the game, and until 3 years ago, TE was never a key part of our offense. You don't think we can win a game or two w/o Gronk?

Call it 4-2 to close out the season sans Gronk. Wah. That's assuming we lose to everybody in the "tough games" category, and beat the teams we're supposed to beat (or swap out a loss to the bad teams for a win against a good one.)

Haven't we already lost 3? We lose two more we are 11-5.

Based on what wiggy and fox were saying last night, if they put a plate in there he would potentially miss only one game.....depends on the break

Sounds like it's expected to be at least 4 and less than season ending. Ideally surgery actually speeds up the process as far as sufficient healing to resume activity is concerned for athletes unless complications arise. Once xrays indicate the bone has healed around the fixtures, you are good to go. Everyone heals at different rates, but world class athletes get treatment nearly round the clock that mere mortals seldom experience.

There is a reason when the dreaded high ankle injuries occur pundits often comment that it would have been better to have broken a leg. Recovery from soft tissue and ligament injuries can drag on indefinitely and nag post return and make the player subject to reinjury. Barring an unexpected complication, once Gronk's arm is healed it'll be stronger than ever...kinda like the bionic man he in many ways resembles...

Nothing comes easy for this edition of BB's NE Patriots. And maybe that is a good thing for the long haul. No one man is more important than the team, unless his initials are TFB. The strength of the wolf is in the pack, and we do have a pack of TE's on the roster including that other guy who when healthy is debated as to the most impactful of the duo. And a few other notable weapons on offense. If the anything resembling the defense that showed up on Sunday shows up the rest of the way, we'll be fine until the bookend TE's are finally reunited.

Right, because had this extra point failed, we surely would have lost this game.... :rolleyes:

right.... makes sense now.

Your math's a little off...But the point remains. The other 3 teams in this division would have to run the table to get to 10-6. And despite Albert Breer's AM woody at the though the JETS might, none of those teams shows any capability to do so. So 11-5 won't miss the playoffs in this division this season.

out of pure ignorance, what happens to screws/plates inserted to help the bone heal faster? do they stay in forever or do they get taken out later?

The only ‘bright’ thing about his injury (and by ‘bright’ that’s quite a stretch), is that these 4-6 weeks will not only let his forearm heal, but also his back and hip, of which he’s been suffering all season long. For all we know, we may get him back at a better shape that he was.

We just need to be able to win the games we need to, in order to land us in the post-season. Easier said than done without Gronka, and with A-Hez still not 100%

Time to get Shenko, Fells, and Humi up to speed. Hope the defense gets only better from here.

Last edited:
They typically stay in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back