PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard - Spot-on Analysis in this Morning's Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really disagree with anything Bedard wrote. This isn't anyone's fault but BB's.

Agreed. I started a thread post-game yesterday entitled 'This one's on Bill,' but I think it got merged with the (other) post game threads.

Spikes had one good play! I thinks sometimes the Pats fans faithful want something so badly, they make it up. Spikes is horrid. Diggs, bad. Chung, Over-rated. Ninko- bad. Guyton is beyond awful. It's so sad.

Spikes is only horrid against the pass. More or less to be expected, given he's a second year player who missed a lot of time earlier in the year.

Diggs is a STOP, so I agree he's bad insofar as he's been starting at S.

Chung is not overrated. Chung is a good player surrounded by crap.

Ninkovich is not bad. He's a JAG, and he's not a pass rusher.

Guyton is pretty bad unless he's playing the pass, in which case he's serviceable.

2 things we should never do: Draft wide receivers, at best they'll be return men but more likely they'll sit on the bench for a couple of years and then get released. Second we should never draft DB's, they play well their first year while their college coaching is fresh in their minds but our defensive scheme is toxic to DB's in general and CB's specifically. What we saw yesterday could be one of the worst displays of pass defense ever by a New England team. This is a group of players who have basically accomplished next to nothing in their NFL careers.
As an FYI, I was willing to go along with the whole bend don't break philosophy up until yesterday. It works when you can get your ball back to the offense, this defense cannot do that.

Spikes had one good play! I thinks sometimes the Pats fans faithful want something so badly, they make it up. Spikes is horrid. Diggs, bad. Chung, Over-rated. Ninko- bad. Guyton is beyond awful. It's so sad.

LOL! I love when you come out of the woodwork after a loss and spew your moronic hater crap. Tell me what do you do after a win when you can't come here to biatch?

I love posters like you who are invisible after wins, but post a thousand posts after a loss. Is your life that miserable that you can only express doom and gloom and biatching?

You mean like what happened against the Cowboys two weeks ago. The Cowboys are a good passing team and Brady had a bad game for him. The defense kept the Cowboys out of the endzone and the team won.

The Cowboys have Romo at QB - as good of a passing team it can be, he'll find a way to screw it up.

Yeah, imagine this team going through the playoffs with a rookie UDFA starting and most of your CB crew being mediocre journeymen players? That's why the 2004 team went no where. The Pats won a Super Bowl playing players like Earthwind Mooreland, Troy Brown(who had never played the position), and other scrubs playing CB at times during the season. Randall Gay was an undrafted free agent rookie starting.

The Pats will still win 12-13 games this season. Let's talk in January to see how this team is playing.

huh? why are you trying to make comparisons to 2004? wilfork is the only DL on this team that would make that team, and mayo is the only LB that would make that team......I'm not sure any of the secondary guys on this team could beat out moreland.....hell, they may not beat out troy brown.....

the pats will win 12-13 simply because they got lucky with their late season schedule, but will likely be slammed once again in the playoffs

The Patriots have to go on a spending spree this offseason. Pretty simple.

I'd look at:

WR Vincent Jackson
CB Cortland Finnegan
CB Tracey Porter
S Michael Griffin
LB Steven Tulloch
S Jim Leonhard (at the very least to drive the price up on the Jets)

No thanks on Finnegan (guy runs his mouth, can't back it up) or Griffin (sucks).

Okay on the others.

I read the article without any Globe membership

What kills me when I watch the Patriots play the upper tier teams is the lack of physical talent on D and WR.
Opposing DBs can line up on the line because they know the Patriot WRs will never win a foot race. I watch Welker work a sideline pattern and his diminutive frame is a negative when Brady has to drop passes into him. There is a reason teams deploy taller WRs on sideline patterns.
The D is 3 solid guys, and a collection of castoffs and JAGs (McCourty? What category should he fall in)
The coaching: Let's just say that CBs and Safeties regress year over year on the Patriots. Go down the list over the last 4 years. Sanders held steady longer than most. Merriweather had some upside before this year's crash. But all those second rounders and now McCourty....the decline has been constant. Will Chung succumb to this sucktitude also.

WR developement?: not since Branch left years ago. Edelman flashed greatness in a few games years ago, now he is sits next to the $6 million Tweeter.

Bottomline: Belichick needs to look in the mirror because drafting and development have been horrendous.

The Cowboys have Romo at QB - as good of a passing team it can be, he'll find a way to screw it up.

Sorta as where ever the Pats lose, it is the only time you show your face on this board.

The Pats defense kept Romo out of the end zone for most of the game. It wasn't one or two screw ups by Romo.

the cowboys blew it by being too afraid to throw the ball against the pats.......nobody is going to make that mistake again......

Yeah, imagine this team going through the playoffs with a rookie UDFA starting and most of your CB crew being mediocre journeymen players? That's why the 2004 team went no where. The Pats won a Super Bowl playing players like Earthwind Mooreland, Troy Brown(who had never played the position), and other scrubs playing CB at times during the season. Randall Gay was an undrafted free agent rookie starting.

The Pats will still win 12-13 games this season. Let's talk in January to see how this team is playing.

Enough, those Patriots teams had an excellent front seven and probowl (plus a borderline HOF Safety).

I am not saying they can't catch lightening is a bottle, ala 2007 Colts but be realistic.

DL - Warren, [Wilfork/ Traylor / Washington], Seymour
LB_ Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, Johnson
CB - Law, Samuel
S - Harrison, Wilson (before he sucked)

Aside from Wilfork and maybe Mayo no current Patriot would start on the 2003 & 2004 teams.

You mean like what happened against the Cowboys two weeks ago. The Cowboys are a good passing team and Brady had a bad game for him. The defense kept the Cowboys out of the endzone and the team won.

Romo stinks.

The Cowboys game was an illusion that duped many into believing that the Pats defense is really improving. In other words, Romo and Garret made the Pats D look better than they really are. Norv Turner and Rivers arent a good example either.

That is the sad reality.

A good NFL QB with capable WRs and OC will shred this secondary. Even with Bodden and Dowling.

honestly IMO the bye week killed this teams momentum....they looked like a team that hadnt played in 2 weeks and it showed....they were unprepared on offense and defense..

ill hold judgement until after the Giants game...because they played pretty well the past 2 games (jets/cowboys) and its always risky to use one game as a barometer of how your team is doing.

this is a league where the winless rams blew out the Saints

LOL! I love when you come out of the woodwork after a loss and spew your moronic hater crap. Tell me what do you do after a win when you can't come here to biatch?

I love posters like you who are invisible after wins, but post a thousand posts after a loss. Is your life that miserable that you can only express doom and gloom and biatching?

I haven't been happy with the defense is years. I will continue to complain until I see them try to fix it. I love the Pats offense. I have no fear about the O-line because I have the upmost respect and confidence in Dante S. The defense has continued to let me and all Pats fans down. They will not sniff an SB until they start addressing the issues on D. I get so frustrated at the prospect of wasting Brady yet another year.

I expect a lot from the offense, so when they do what they are capable of doing, I'm stoked. When the defense fails so badly, and Brady can't carry the load on his own....I vent.

If you have an issue with that, ignore my posts.

Last edited:
Roethlisberger was the 5th ranked QB in yards coming into the game. He is streaky. When he is on, he is on though. He can go a streak where he sucks, but he can also go a streak where he is as good as any other QB in the NFL. Usually, the Pats have his number, but he changed his game yesterday and the Pats couldn't adjust.

Although yards means very little, he does get credit for being a a very good QB on most Sundays. The point is he can absolutely be contained with a good defense. He own team called him out for his poor performances in last years AFCCG and the Superbowl.

Romo stinks.

The Cowboys game was an illusion that duped many into believing that the Pats defense is really improving. In other words, Romo and Garret made the Pats D look better than they really are. Norv Turner and Rivers arent a good example either.

That is the sad reality.

A good NFL QB with capable WRs and OC will shred this secondary. Even with Bodden and Dowling.

Romo is a good quarterback....he might be a streaky one but why downplay the win against the cowboys?? they have a high powered offense and the pats shut them down

I haven't been happy with the defense is years. I will continue to complain until I see them try to fix it. I love the Pats offense. I have no fear about the O-line because I have the upmost respect and confidence in Dante S. The defense has continued to let me and all Pats fans down. They will not sniff an SB until they start addressing the issues on D. I get so frustrated at the prospect of wasting Brady yet another year.

I expect a lot from the offense, so when they do what they are capable of doing, I'm stoked. When the defense fails so badly, and Brady can't carry the load on his own....I vent.

If you have an issue with that, ignore my posts.

When was the last time you wrote a post that was positive?

Romo is a good quarterback....he might be a streaky one but why downplay the win against the cowboys?? they have a high powered offense and the pats shut them down

Romo is terrible.

Romo is streaky in that he has a great game every blue moon. The norm is that he plays like crap.

Enough, those Patriots teams had an excellent front seven and probowl (plus a borderline HOF Safety).

I am not saying they can't catch lightening is a bottle, ala 2007 Colts but be realistic.

DL - Warren, [Wilfork/ Traylor / Washington], Seymour
LB_ Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Phifer, Johnson
CB - Law, Samuel
S - Harrison, Wilson (before he sucked)

Aside from Wilfork and maybe Mayo no current Patriot would start on the 2003 & 2004 teams.

I never said that this defense is anything like the 2004 defense, I was just attacking the comment that a team cannot win with talent like this. I pointed out that a team has won a Super Bowl with possibly worse talent at several positions.

I don't think this defense can turn it around like the 2004 team, but they don't have to. This year's NFL is nothing like 2004. Assuming they didn't play each other in the regular season, the 2004 Pats and the 2004 Steelers would easily face each other this year in the AFC Championships both 17-0. This year is a year of very flawed football. There isn't any team in the league that you can point to that doesn't have major issues including the Packers. If this was a normal year, I would be more concerned. But I can't think of one team including the Packers that doesn't have a major weakness that can be exploited by the right team.

Although yards means very little, he does get credit for being a a very good QB on most Sundays. The point is he can absolutely be contained with a good defense. He own team called him out for his poor performances in last years AFCCG and the Superbowl.

He can be, but he also beats some good defenses too.

It is funny though that a Jets fan would says yards mean very little when they rag on the Pats defense for all the yards they give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft