PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing else I am happy to see that the front office is as upset as we the fans are right now and they are willing to drop the axe like this. BB always says everything he does is in the best interest of the football team, I look forward to hearing the speculation as to what really went on. The stage has been set for either Gaffney or Jackson to step up for the playoff push. Here's to hoping at least one of them breaks out...

The only question now is who fills the roster spot... that will give us a barometer on how the injuries are looking...

He has barely been playing so they obviously haven't been overwhelmed by his total skill set.

True, but from what I have seen he was one of our better receivers...doesn't say much but we were thin already.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see someone admit that the Patriot's front office

makes mistakes. There is an old saying that you only get

what you pay for. How good a group of wide receivers do you

expect to get for yearly salaries of 1.1 millon dollars or less

per player?

Look, I may sound whiny but wow! I love this team and drink the Kool-Aid too, but someone shoud sooner or later start splainin'. With this below average receiving core, how can you release someone with Gabriel's skills?

What skills? Lots of people talked about his speed, never saw it. He was a big receiver, so was Donald Hays. Put Bam out there and let him catch the ball. What you'll hear is, if only he was a bigger guy. What I saw in Gabriel was power, he would pull a defender for a couple of more yards. I don't know if he ran his route correctly. Maybe Al Davis isn't all that senile. If the receiving core was below average, and he wasn't out there very often, there lies your answer.

Wow. This move baffles me. I don't get it one bit.

What skills? Lots of people talked about his speed, never saw it. He was a big receiver, so was Donald Hays. Put Bam out there and let him catch the ball. What you'll hear is, if only he was a bigger guy. What I saw in Gabriel was power, he would pull a defender for a couple of more yards. I don't know if he ran his route correctly. Maybe Al Davis isn't all that senile. If the receiving core was below average, and he wasn't out there very often, there lies your answer.

Alright...what I saw of his limited play he looked good. And, you're right. Don't know if he ran routes right, etc. But, a lot of people on this board have an infatuation with Bam. He has yet to see the field. There must be a reason for that, too.

He definitely wasn't quick and looked not too fast - but he did make a decent amount of plays. Color me disappointed but obviously they know better than I do.

just in case anyone is still in the moronic group who thinks 12 -- a ridiculously proven commodity over six years (rather than a group of reject receivers) -- is the problem with the passing game.

Here's another reason we need the DBs to get healthy -- so ancient Troy Brown can contribute more regularly on the other side...how sad is that?

As frustrated as Tom was with Doug, they're obviously desperate for semi-trained bodies to play catch...Ben's out indef...well, at least there's still Reche Caldwell to keep teams on their heels.:rolleyes::mad:

The team's best asset is completely impotent to help...congratulations on the gross cap mismanagement Bill (that's what it's called when you use less of the cap than 90% of the league)...I'm sure that #1 pick next year will make us forget all about the complete and utter waste that 2006 is threatening to become.

For the last time, Tom doesn't need Marvin and Reggie, but he needs time to work with these guys, it can't look like it once did overnight.

good news is I honestly don't see any teams out there that can do what Miami just did and what Denver did earlier this year, and Maroney helps enormously just by being out there on the field...honestly as dominant as the run defense has been, it could be our biggest weakness going forward.

But it's impossible to be optimistic when you look at a team like SD which is just on a totally different level...only one team can beat the Bolts and that's the Chargers themselves...Schottenheimer sees the end, he won't screw this one up and regret it for the rest of his life, he'll ride the right arm of Philip Rivers...and if you're waiting for Rivers to blow up in the playoffs, don't...the guy is every bit as analytical about the efficiency aspect of the game as Tom...unless he's called on to bring them from behind, he'll protect the ball...if he's confused, he'll err on the conservative side with his throws before he tries to force it...only thing that derails that team is key injuries (I honestly think they could lose LT and still win with Michael Turner, how sick is that!)...right now, they're getting healthier and that means we're all playing for second place anyway.

there's always next year.

Wish I could wave the pom poms. I was about the only guy on the planet who thought we started to look good after the KC defeat last year (improving red zone defense and the potential return of our ground game were promising signs to me)...and we did turn it around pretty dramatically within a couple weeks of that game.

But this is not the direction you want to trend in at this time of year. I believe in the core leadership of this team -- strongly (check my avatar)...unfortunately, it's not a question of effort right now.

You still play to win and, when you can't win, you play for pride...if it comes down to that, I'll take some solace in knowing that's how they'll go down...no matter what, they'll make us proud.

Last edited:
Of all the playoff teams in the AFC, the Patriots have by far the worst group of wide receivers. I can only hope that the Patriots use one of their two first round draft picks on a wide receiver in the 2007 NFL draft.

I honestly don't understand why this idea that Gabriel was benched just for the fumble vs. the Jets still persists.

It's just an absurd notion, and is easily recognizable as the utter stupidity it is when subjected to the slightest scrutiny.

Faulk's had a fumbling problem for years, and never got benched. Dillon's had some really crushing fumbles, and never got benched. Ben Watson's fumbled a bunch of late, and never got benched.

Sorry, but players don't get benched for one fumble. It doesn't happen.

There's been something else going on with Gabriel. It probably started well before the Jets game. Heck, it could have started as early as the Broncos game in which he didn't come on until the 4th quarter.

We don't know. It will be a while before we do. So if we can only speculate, at least let's try to speculate intelligently.

I think the perception is that Belichick blames him for losing to Mangini and making him pay. But what in Belichcik's character makes anyone think this? When has he ever made an emotional, irrational decision to hurt this team?

There is far more to this story than we know or probably ever will know. Belichick would not just dump a player at a position of weakness no matter what he felt about him personally unless he was doing something that merited being dumped.

Alright...what I saw of his limited play he looked good. And, you're right. Don't know if he ran routes right, etc. But, a lot of people on this board have an infatuation with Bam. He has yet to see the field. There must be a reason for that, too.

I hear you.

BB/Pioli's record as traders has taken another blow. After a

good trade for Corey Dillon, they traded for Duane Starks, Andre

Davis, and Doug Gabriel.

The Pats have made some good trades including Ted Washington. I didn't think Davis was that bad of a trade. He got injured which hurt his season, but he made some big plays late in the season last year.

Interesting move, too bad it didn't work out. Nice to see NEM is now smarter than BB in personnel matters. Shut-up and go away swine.

How good a group of wide receivers do you

expect to get for yearly salaries of 1.1 millon dollars or less

per player?

You're describing the group of wide receivers that were here from 02 through 05.

just in case anyone is still in the moronic group who thinks 12 -- a ridiculously proven commodity over six years (rather than a group of reject receivers) -- is the problem with the passing game.

Here's another reason we need the DBs to get healthy -- so ancient Troy Brown can contribute more regularly on the other side...how sad is that?

As frustrated as Tom was with Doug, they're obviously desperate for semi-trained bodies to play catch...Ben's out indef...well, at least there's still Reche Caldwell to keep teams on their heels.:rolleyes::mad:

The team's best asset is completely impotent to help...congratulations on the gross cap mismanagement Bill (that's what it's called when you use less of the cap than 90% of the league)...I'm sure that #1 pick next year will make us forget all about the complete and utter waste that 2006 is threatening to become.

For the last time, Tom doesn't need Marvin and Reggie, but he needs time to work with these guys, it can't look like it once did overnight.

good news is I honestly don't see any teams out there that can do what Miami just did and what Denver did earlier this year, and Maroney helps enormously just by being out there on the field...honestly as dominant as the run defense has been, it could be our biggest weakness going forward.

But it's impossible to be optimistic when you look at a team like SD which is just on a totally different level...only one team can beat the Bolts and that's the Chargers themselves...Schottenheimer sees the end, he won't screw this one up and regret it for the rest of his life, he'll ride the right arm of Philip Rivers...and if you're waiting for Rivers to blow up in the playoffs, don't...the guy is every bit as analytical about the efficiency aspect of the game as Tom...unless he's called on to bring them from behind, he'll protect the ball...if he's confused, he'll err on the conservative side with his throws before he tries to force it...only thing that derails that team is key injuries (I honestly think they could lose LT and still win with Michael Turner, how sick is that!)...right now, they're getting healthier and that means we're all playing for second place anyway.

there's always next year.

Wish I could wave the pom poms. I was about the only guy on the planet who thought we started to look good after the KC defeat last year (improving red zone defense and the potential return of our ground game were promising signs to me)...and we did turn it around pretty dramatically within a couple weeks of that game.

But this is not the direction you want to trend in at this time of year. I believe in the core leadership of this team -- strongly (check my avatar)...unfortunately, it's not a question of effort right now.

You still play to win and, when you can't win, you play for pride...if it comes down to that, I'll take some solace in knowing that's how they'll go down...no matter what, they'll make us proud.

I couldn't disagree more about Shottenheimer. Sure, maybe they win this year. But it's been proven over and over again, when the pressure is on, when everyone is singing the praises of his teams, when his teams are a whisker away from scaling the mountain, Marty's teams -- Chiefs, Browns or Chargers - fall apart in spectacular fashion. Always. SD in 04. Browns teams in the 80s. Chiefs in the 90s.

I'm not saying the Pats win it all. I'm saying SD will not.

Last edited:
That is just crazy. Really interested in knowing the real reason behind this.

My more recent theory was that it wasn't the dropped passes - lots of guys on this team have been doing that...

It was his Tony Simmons-esque potential combined with a outright inability to run routes - which is something that would show itself in practice and prevent him from getting game time reps

Now that being said, cutting him when they did - bad routes or no bad routes - with our only other real receiving threat questionable with a leg injury, suggests to me that there's an attitude issue with him with the coach making an example out of Gabriel...

So, in BB's eyes - better to have Gabriel serve some use as an example to others to get with the program, than to keep him on the team as a WR who can't run routes

But again, that's just my theory - haven't even read it anywhere - just blind speculation on my part based upon what looked like poor routes run by Gabriel earlier in the season.

it lcan not bode well for us in free agency next season
You know how many times this song has been played. every time we let someone go, it's "No FAs will ever want to come here now."

What a load of hogwash.

In no way did I see this coming. But, if you had to rank him among our current WRs where would you rank him? I put Caldwell, Brown and now even Gaffney infront of him. I also think a healthy Jackson might be better. There are many people that post here that are better at analyzing plays then I am but going through everything I read here and watching the games and replays of the games I do not think cutting him is all that awful.

If anything the mistake was the trade not cutting him now. But, I sure didn't complain when the trade was done so I would not go back and complain about it now. I have said it before. I respect the management for the ability to cut their loses when they arise. They try things out and if it does not pan out they scrape the idea and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back