PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think he was cut because he sucked? or becaue he was in the doghouse...

I will tell you that he wasnt cut because he sucked...
Well he was dumped right before the season for a lowly 5th round pick. Then he was released. I can't watch him in practice or on the coach's tape.

But 2+2=4.

You are speaking from ignorance. His former team was willing to part with him. And his performance here proved that he FAILED to mesh with the Pats passing attack. He was on the field for many plays with a QB known for finding the open man yet he made few catches. You can read an analysis elsewhere on this site made BEFORE his release that cited examples showing that Gabe was responsible for several uncharacteristic Brady picks by running his routes improperly.

Last edited:

It all depends on the definition of "sucked." If you define it as raw talent, then no, he didn't suck. And there are dozens of guys in the league with equal or better raw talent.

If you define it as doing the things that translate talent into performance, like adjusting routes realtime, like matching the effort your quarterback is putting into working with you, like deferring to veterans in a hundred subtle ways, then he apparently didn't do that stuff.

You can be sure that the coach and the quarterback have been having regular conversations about which recievers are getting it and which aren't.

FOXBOROUGH –- Bill Belichick just held his Wednesday press conference (10:30 a.m.) and opened with a few comments on receiver Doug Gabriel, who was released on Tuesday.

“One quick word on Doug, I appreciate how hard he worked and what he tried to do here. Just unfortunately, the way the whole thing came down, it just didn’t work out. I don’t know if that’s anybody’s fault, that’s just the way it was.â€

---------------------

i.e, he's Donald Hayes the second.

WTF??? I couldn't believe it when I saw this. When they were playing Gabes regularly he did a great job for us. How can we afford to cut him now? Who will pick him up where it will come back to haunt us? I don't like sounding negative towards my Pats but this year is baffling me compeltely. I liked Gabriel a lot.........:bricks:

This move is pretty mysterious. But it was pretty apparent to me that Gabriel had been an invisible man for several weeks now. BB once said that Gabs was making good progress. But I guess it wasn't good enough. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that last week's game against the Dolphins was probably the last straw. Well a lot of guys didn't show up for that game but... I guess BB felt it was time to use Gabriel's roster spot for a guy who could be productive.

Say hello to Kelvin Kight...

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=8&c=1&nid=2684963

OMG we are now fielding the all-florida gator receiver unit! Does anybody else think BB is overdoing the gator love just a LITTLE bit??

Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson, and Kight. LOL. This is just sooo weird!

Why?......

Why?

See the 23 posts describing him as Donald Hayes redux.

OMG we are now fielding the all-florida gator receiver unit! Does anybody else think BB is overdoing the gator love just a LITTLE bit??

Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson, and Kight. LOL. This is just sooo weird!
BB and Kraft were reading this forum and at the mercy of us other fans are going to hire Steve Spurrier to come in and be assistant to the OC for the last 3 games and playoffs - if we make them - the press release states a rabid, life long pats fan who is in the witness protection plan who goes by the name NEM is the mastermind behind this.

The press release states the Front office realized either make the change or have every Pats Board in america polluted with "Fire Josh threads.

copied from the NEM NEWS web site

Last edited:
Apparently Gabriel called out McDaniels in the locker room after the Phins game and boldly stated:

"IT'S YOU OR ME, MCDANIELS. THIS TEAM ISN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US."

Interesting comment by John Tomase's call into WROR this morning. When he was asked about Gabriel, his comment went something like this.

"My lasting image of Doug Gabriel is from the Patriots turkey handout day a few weeks ago. Doug came to the event and was a great guy handing out turkeys to the poor. But he was wearing a tee shirt with a huge picture of Bob Marley smoking something that wasn't a cigarette."

Apologies to Tomase if I botched any of this.

Obviously, if Gabriel had been nailed for pot, the league would report it, but maybe he wasn't very smart about disguising his vice? Maybe the Pats figured he's eventually get caught and they'd get stuck with a suspended player to deal with. How does a suspension affect a team's ability to release the player?

Apparently Gabriel called out McDaniels in the locker room after the Phins game and boldly stated:

"IT'S YOU OR ME, MCDANIELS. THIS TEAM ISN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US."

Where did you get this?

Gabriel was claimed off waivers by Oakland. Pretty sweet deal for them - rent a player for 14 weeks, get him (back) and a 5th round pick out of it.

Last edited:
I called it.

Didn't know it would be Gabriel, but their offense was sluggish and undisciplined.

Talent isn't the only thing that makes for a good offense. Crisp execution and communication as the result of good practice habits and a game plan that fits the personnel, (that's phase two).

Don't forget, in 2001 we won with a special teams player and third down receiver just breaking in as a regular.

A street free agent castoff, obviously worth nothing according to posters and

Some guy named Fred who made like 2 plays all year.

That was our wide receiving corps.

RayClay,

Call it you did !! I notice that Belichick and Brady have handled this with class. No criticism of the released player. Merely a statement that other players in the league weren't able to play in the Pat's system. Nothing more. Brady amplified by calling him a nice teammate.

Ray, your analysis makes the most sense of all. BB is not vindictive, if it might cost him a victory. He let Donald Hayes go for what I suspect was the same situation. The intrinsic inability to comprehend a complicated playbook.

Gabriel's appearance's were minimal but not nonexistent the last couple of games, (Lions & Phins) being in for 22 snaps, so the brainless "...it was the fumble" was just that... brainless.

Jabbar Gaffney must be coming on in practice, as his snaps have increased to 30 the last two games. I only remember one missed catch, the bomb to him. I know he didn't catch anything this last game. Looking at the Lions gamebook, he caught one for 28 yards, but I don't remember it.

It was apparent from Brady's news conference that since Jackson isn't practicing, that they are not counting on him. Ergo, it has to be Jabbar. Less anyone forget Jabbar best season more than equals the best season Givens ever had in the league. And he didn't have a Brady throwing him the ball either.

My friends in Philly said that although the signed Gaffney in the the off season as a prized FA, they were really looking for a down field receiver, and JG is much more of a possession type. It seems that is what the Pat's need now.

Where did you get this?

Made it up of course. It's completely ridiculous.

Watch Borges write an article about it for the Globe tomorrow. :bricks:

Depends on whether it was a fifth of vodka of a fifth of good scotch.

Oh wait, they dont call them fifths any more, do they.

I really dont know why they called them fifths anyway, when in fact what they were was four fifths of a quart.

Oh wait, maybe your all too young to remember.:D

aren't they fifths of a gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back