PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bummer, I had high hopes for the guy, but he really fell off the map. Oh well, at least this means Jackson must be near full health, right?

We can only hope...would be nice if HE could reach a little of his potential...

Umm, then which is it? Brady needs good receivers and that's why he's not playing as well as he can? Or Brady doesn't require anything special out there, just some dudes trying hard, and he can still win?

I think that sums up a lot of the confusion on this board.

for Gabriel and Jackson it's not about effort really, it's a paradigm shift.

the insight nobody remembers is Tom saying of Deion that he "understood the receiver position from the perspective of the QB."

Gabriel couldn't do that (but don't expect him to point the finger at himself when he chimes in with his two cents)...hopefully Jackson will make that shift in the offseason because he's a genuine freak of nature.

Deion was obviously not a freak of nature. But he was great in our scheme. Not to call him a system receiver, because I think he could fit in anywhere, but they got more out of him here than anyone else ever will.

Why?

I'm not going to pretend I can describe in comprehensive technical detail what it means to understand the receiver position from the QB's eyes, but that's really the key.

We used to routinely convert 3rd and longs on those wide patterns because Deion was so intuitive and dependable about how and when to come back for the ball. It almost couldn't be defended, and I'm not talking strictly about the timed throws, but more specifically about the "rapport" throws we were so used to seeing from this offense -- the throwback stuff that Tom is so good at and Peyton is so bad at. It didn't take Deion long to figure the whole thing out. Receivers who can -- through sheer physical ability or through rapport with the QB -- find ways to beat press man on the outside and stretch the field HORIZONTALLY are just as important as the vertical aspect that everyone seems to key on.

That's something Gabriel couldn't do -- he'd run your basic routes they were drawn up, just like college and most pro offenses (including Indy and Cincy) -- but forget about adjustments...and he wasn't physically gifted enough to get away with that...you don't see Marvin or Reggie run option routes because they don't have to...they just burn you. Problem is you have to pay like hell for guys like that...good thing is we have a guy under center who can make it work without those guys but you STILL need two things:
A: receivers who aren't dumb (sorry to be blunt) and love the game enough to practice their asses off.
B: time to build rapport (more with some guys than others, not to belittle Deion, but his smarts are probably his best asset).

But as to point B -- if you're trashing the entire receiving corps in a single year it's not going to work...that's way too much burden on the rest of the offense (including Ben Watson who I've probably given more blame to than he really deserves -- it's just that I expect him to be a Gonzalez type who can carry a passing game and he's just not).

More than any other skill position outside QB, you have to turn over your receivers INCREMENTALLY and that's why the Pats absolutely did NOT want to lose Deion this year...they simply went into the negotiations believing they had way more leverage than they actually did (and then whined to the media when Deion didn't "play by the rules" -- sorry FO, get used to it: smart GMs aren't loyal to anyone, and smart players aren't either).

Honestly, it was so predictable...and yet I've agreed with almost every other move we've made...including Adam (even though that was another guy who left because the FO pissed him off).

I know it seems contradictory to claim we don't need great receivers and then blame the receivers for not being good enough, but it's the unseen mental aspect more than the physical tools, which we can actually see and measure, which were lacking with Gabriel and which Deion had in surplus.

Hopefully Chad has the ability to "get it" too. We won't really know until next year.

I don't like this move... I don't know why it was made and I am gonna stay away from speculating...

This is what we have now for WRs - Brown, Caldwell, Gaffney... I can only shake my head at that thought.

I couldn't disagree more about Shottenheimer. Sure, maybe they win this year. But it's been proven over and over again, when the pressure is on, when everyone is singing the praises of his teams, when his teams are a whisker away from scaling the mountain, Marty's teams -- Chiefs, Browns or Chargers - fall apart in spectacular fashion. Always. SD in 04. Browns teams in the 80s. Chiefs in the 90s.

I'm not saying the Pats win it all. I'm saying SD will not.

Right on. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes.

I look forward to seeing how Marty screws it all up again this year.

I, for one, will not count the Pats out until they're down 21 w/ under two minutes left in whatever round of the playoffs that possibility materializes.

Box---I LOVE the sig!

Hey fella's, Didn't we bump K.Knight onto the active roster???Gaffeny seem to out do DG. Are we now at 52 on the roster spot???They might be more than one reason for this move. I was a fan of DG,maybe it was just a rebound from Deion....I know the PATS are not going to lay down from NOBODY....You think our patriots like to lose,noway homes.....We all try to figure out BB and he is so ahead of us....We just drop our jaws and say "wow"

Yea i come home and get online and what do i see?

Patriots cut Gabriel.

Goddammit this is just frustrating.

Hey fella's, Didn't we bump K.Knight onto the active roster???Gaffeny seem to out do DG. Are we now at 52 on the roster spot???They might be more than one reason for this move.
Yeah, let's bring Danny Baugher up from the PS and make Walter the full time holder.

PLEASE

Right on. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes.

I look forward to seeing how Marty screws it all up again this year.

I, for one, will not count the Pats out until they're down 21 w/ under two minutes left in whatever round of the playoffs that possibility materializes.

Box---I LOVE the sig!

Marty's a proven choker, no argument.

Now put yourself in his shoes. The guy isn't coaching after this year unless he wins it all and chooses to coach somewhere else because AJ Smith is not inviting him back in SD.

He sees the end of his career and he's done it HIS WAY up til now. Now he's given up all of his power in playcalling to his assistants and actually instructed them to basically veto him if they think he's nuts. Now maybe they're a bunch of yes men but there's no reason to believe he's not really sincere.

Nobody wants to go out of this life with regrets.

He won't admit he screwed up in the past, but he's got one last shot at this thing. Sure he's old and stubborn, but now he's also desperate and we're underestimating human nature if we're expecting him to ride off in the sunset wondering what might've been had he simply trusted his QB to make the plays needed to win in the postseason.

win or lose, he's made up his mind to go out on the back of Phil Rivers.

Here's the piece we need to understand: Marty trusts Phillip...so does everyone on that team...the QB is a winner even if Marty hasn't been.

When exactly did BB become a winner?...now he's somehow headed to the HoF!!! Imagine that, Belichick going to Canton...that was unimaginable...laughable even just five years ago. I'm telling you that Rivers is the best thing to happen to that team even though LT is the face of the franchise...Brees is a great QB with the heart of a lion but just think back to all those close games they lost last year (even with all the talent on that roster)...those are the games they're winning this year...think back to the 0-1 playoff record and loss to the freakin Herm Edwards Jets that Brees led with these same Chargers......what's different? LT? Marty? Gates? Neal? Still there. A team's record in close games is always either a credit or indictment of the QB. Marty's starting to get it and that's bad news.

you can't win a championship hoping other teams will trip up. let's start getting realistic...we've got four games...three on the road...we're not built right now to handle that. Does that mean you withdraw your support of the team?, of course not, but let's keep the expectations in check here...should they actually exceed those expectations it will be even sweeter.

Last edited:
more rambling on the receiver subject while I'm in the mood...I've got a lot of **** to get off my chest.

IMO the Brady to Branch connection was THE engine of the team going into 2006...without getting overly cliched, it was symbiotic, synergistic (i.e. more than the sum of its parts).

But to rip that up and liquidate it like a Chapter 7 firesale? No surprise we're in the midst of a painful rebuilding year on offense (and still doing pretty well in spite of that).

Just think about our passing scheme for a second.

Indy and Cincy are obviously vertical teams. What pundits have trouble appreciating is how much tougher it is to play QB in our offense...I mean it's night and day. Forget about the stats...passing stats are team stats not individual stats...you have to laugh when ESPN displays the mug of Peynus with his passer rating next to it, as if he alone was responsible for those numbers...or how they used to put up his face and Tom's and then compare their ratings and numbers like it meant anything...let's add the faces of their supporting casts! The players whom Peynus is so uncomfortable to celebrate with after they make him look good.

The old knock on Tom that he was a dink artist who couldn't throw the deep ball...a "system qb." Explain how you can throw the deep ball with the team we won those first 2 SBs with? Vertical receivers? NEGATIVE, dominant ground game?, NEGATIVE, great protection? NEGATIVE. some system! petyon's the definition of a system qb. Come outside Peyton, play football, let's see that lame excuse of a spiral cut through the wind in a harsh northern climate (not in that division)...let's see you chuck it around to troy brown and david patten...and fake it to antowain on the play action...let's see you suck in the defense now and pump fake em out of their shoes. Yeah, I mean back then we could chuck it up there and hope for a flag like it's a punt, but nobody on those teams was coming down with a jump ball or taking a slant to the house.

Yet, with all those flooded short and intermediate zones he consistently found ways to thread the needle and made it look so easy that it actually became a "knock" when in reality it was pretty damn spectacular. He doesn't have Elway's arm, but the guy does have a pretty serious cannon...he's not going to beat you in an arm wrestling contest but he's got a huge tight arc, good drive, and more importantly he has the trust in his technique to really let it rip...he doesn't unleash it just for show or because he has some kind of insecurity deal going like Favre, but I digress.

Most possession teams are obviously power running teams who are missing vertical receivers but occasionally take play action deep shots on first downs. There really aren't many examples of possession PASSING offenses that get by almost exclusively with the short and intermediate passing game in lieu of actual talented skill players. 2 out of those 3 SB seasons we didn't have a threatening ground game OR vertical receivers, it was exclusively a possession style passing game...it's called "moving the chains" and it also has the effect of making a defense look pretty damn good too (just ask Denver...any coincidence their defense has collapsed about the same time as their ground game?).

But talk about a burden on the QB! This isn't the country fair tire shoot where the winner gets to take home the big stuffed animal. This is the freakin NFL. Where within 20 yards of the LOS you find amphetamine swarms of eye-reading LBs and DBs hawking the ball, especially when they know you can't beat them over the top or by just pounding the rock.

But the idiot media used to spin the exercise as a dink and dunk routine borne from a presumably limited QB...it was the opposite...a severely limited offense made to work by a phenomenal QB.

Just as Deion was great at flipping his perspective from the QB's eyes, part of TB's gift as a pure passer is seeing his job from the receivers' eyes...Tom's not going to drill a hole through a guy with his "laser rocket arm" just to show it off and make the highlights (and by the way, Peyton has the most overrated arm in the league, he's accurate as hell and has great timing on those deep over routes, but arm strength?? -- Tom could get the same timing down with Marvin and Reggie trust me). But similar to Montana (who was more limited than Tom as a pure passer), he's going to put the ball right on the guy's hands with just the right velocity based on the size of the window -- while standing up to the blitz unlike anyone I've ever seen.

And it all comes off just like Russell, in his prime, played each end of the court, or how Borg played tennis, how Emmitt ran the rock, how Hogan played golf...each achieved a relentless almost obsessive level of mental discipline, which when combined with their unique athletic talent, resulted in precision domination so far beyond the athletes around them that their boringly consistent accomplishments became less impressive to the average eye...almost like slo-mo compared to other plays which seemed more like spectacular struggles.

now I'm seriously rambling and it's after my bed time.

Bottom line for me this season: If Big Vince comes back, this team is still better than the '01 Pats...but that was a truly magical team, and I don't think the '01 Pats would've faired very well against the '06 Bolts anyway.

I hope they prove me wrong...sad thing is even if they do, it won't surprise us as much as it definitely should...as TB reminded us the other day, we're all probably a little spoiled...players AND fans.

At least we've genuinely got that underdog mentality back in tow...us against the world...that's what brought us those rings in the first place (Mr. Kraft, tear down those banners I say!, hang em back up in ten years after we've added a couple more)

Last edited:
Did Gabriel have a big attitude problem? I see people saying that, but I had never heard that before today. Is that true?

I suppose we'll never know unless someone sticks a mic in DG's face and he spills his side,in which case it's POSSIBLE that the Pats may say something in turn,but I don't hold out high hopes for that one lol.

Maybe we'll figure this out by what happens on the field.

FWIW,the only at-length speech by DG that I can recall was his glowing testamonial on Randy Moss. I knew we'd pass on that one and I agreed,but by the time DG had finished there wasn't a dry eye in the house lol;)

I honestly don't understand why this idea that Gabriel was benched just for the fumble vs. the Jets still persists.

It's just an absurd notion, and is easily recognizable as the utter stupidity it is when subjected to the slightest scrutiny.

Faulk's had a fumbling problem for years, and never got benched. Dillon's had some really crushing fumbles, and never got benched. Ben Watson's fumbled a bunch of late, and never got benched.

Sorry, but players don't get benched for one fumble. It doesn't happen.

There's been something else going on with Gabriel. It probably started well before the Jets game. Heck, it could have started as early as the Broncos game in which he didn't come on until the 4th quarter.

We don't know. It will be a while before we do. So if we can only speculate, at least let's try to speculate intelligently.

PatNasty??? What are you??? My evil twin??

I really dont understand this move. You cut your best WR??? Gabriel is GOOD. Real good. And you cut him?

A horrible move...

I really dont understand this move. You cut your best WR??? Gabriel is GOOD. Real good. And you cut him?

A horrible move...

We were desperate for competition in the AFCE to make winning the AFCE Championship more competitive and interesting.

We were desperate for competition in the AFCE to make winning the AFCE Championship more competitive and interesting.

LOL!

But really... just a terrible move. I mean, I wont deny that I am somewhat biased because he went to my school, UCF, and I loved watching him play here, and watching him play in the NFL (same with Asante). But a horrible move... the guy is GOOD.

LOL!

But really... just a terrible move. I mean, I wont deny that I am somewhat biased because he went to my school, UCF, and I loved watching him play here, and watching him play in the NFL (same with Asante). But a horrible move... the guy is GOOD.

On paper.
Could not transfer production onto the football field during a game for this team.
The Pats O relies on adjustments by the wideouts. FA Donald Hayes could not learn the system and was cut. Likely the same for Gabes. Or maybe he was a locker room distraction. Or maybe he did not put the same level of effort into practise as the other wideouts. If your Franchise QB with 3 SB rings won't throw to him probably because he won't run the route correctly, then he's of no use to the team.

LOL!

Evidently he isn't. The NFL is a long way from Central Florida.

Evidently he isn't. The NFL is a long way from Central Florida.

So you think he was cut because he sucked? or becaue he was in the doghouse...

I will tell you that he wasnt cut because he sucked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe