PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeman @ CBS: Moss is Doggin' It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can "dog" your way to 100 yard games on a consistent basis, in the NFL.

...........and if he did BB and TB would be on him like flies on you-know-what!

I have hated Bill Simmons for several years now (actually, I think it goes back to around when the Sox won their first title). It makes me barf that that assclown thinks he represents Boston. I don't use the word "hate" lightly, even in a half-joking context as I do here, but I truly despise the guy for becoming a self-appointed voice of Boston, yet not living here, not truly respecting our teams, and not having any grasp of ANY of the major sports, least of all football.

Yep. Simmons even referenced Shank in that column about the state of the Pats fans. Shank is the last person to know. SImmons is even further removed than him.

There is a certain out of touch poster here that I am convinced is Simmons.

Yep. Simmons even referenced Shank in that column about the state of the Pats fans. Shank is the last person to know. SImmons is even further removed than him.

Simmons knows basketball, but he has no business writing about football or baseball. There's a reason why his wife beat him at picks so badly that he had to stop running them.

Since being on message boards now for 13 years (I'm almost embarrassed to admit), I ran across Simmons early on. I was on the AOL Patriots board in maybe 1996, and Simmons was already there as the Boston Sports Guy. He was in tussles with most of the knowledgeable posters, and he was ragging mostly on Kraft for letting Parcells go.

I remember him well, and he did not impress me at all with his football knowledge.

Last edited:
That was, for me, probably the most unforgettable moment of the game.

If you told me, three years ago, that such a thing would be happening, I'd be calling you nuts.

As it was, I was one of those who didn't initially agree with the Pats acquiring Moss, and have had to eat plenty of crow since then.

I saw Moss for who he was from day 1. When I heard the rumors about the Pats interest in Moss, I was giddy. When they actually signed him, I was estatic. The best WR in history joining the best QB. :singing:

I always thought his "problems" in Min were either non-existent or because of Culpepper. His Oakland years I didn't blame him for 1. because he was injured and 2. He was in the laughing stock of the NFL. The guy wants to win and being in that place must have be awful. Taking a major paycut to play for a contender should have shown everyone right away what his intentions were.

Simmons knows basketball, but he has no business writing about football or baseball. There's a reason why his wife beat him at picks so badly that he had to stop running them.

Honestly, I wouldn't even give him basketball. As someone who played a lot growing up and has watched a lot of basketball in his days, I can say I do not really respect Simmons' knowledge of basketball or the Celtics.

Honestly, I wouldn't even give him basketball. As someone who played a lot growing up and has watched a lot of basketball in his days, I can say I do not really respect Simmons' knowledge of basketball or the Celtics.

Simmons, to me, has always been the "funny" guy you don't take seriously. You read his columns to get a "different" perspective and (sometimes) a good laugh, but that is it. I haven't really ever considered him an "expert" on any sports subject.

Bruce Allen absolutely rips Freeman and Florio in this piece: Moss Speculation Means New Lows For Media
This past week we were treated to a new low in the annals of sports "journalism."

It started with a column from CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman, a hack's hack.
Florio didn't stop there, adding "Indeed, if the Pats made it clear two years ago that they wouldn't tolerate this kind of stuff from Moss, common sense suggests that, if Moss engages in this kind of stuff, they'll send him packing." Sure. They'll just cut ties with Moss. No problem.

Florio has a "duh!" moment by then stating that Belichick would be reluctant to cut Moss because another team might then sign him. Really?
Talk about creating "news" out of thin air! Where is the accountability? One of the major flaws of the immediate news cycle is that by the time we've digested one story and worked up an outrage over it, the next one comes down the pike and makes us put the first one aside. Then it happens all over again. What is the solution? In a world where page views are more important than facts and accuracy, the public looking for real news is the loser.

Simmons, to me, has always been the "funny" guy you don't take seriously. You read his columns to get a "different" perspective and (sometimes) a good laugh, but that is it. I haven't really ever considered him an "expert" on any sports subject.

Agreed - and there's nothing wrong with that. Except for his capitalizing on the idea of him as the voice of Boston when the guy has, for years, been out of touch with out teams.

How Florio and Freeman have jobs, after writing such blatantly wrong and stupid articles, I will never understand. You stir up controversy by writing something controversial, but something that has some truth to it. Writing something completely untrue and with an agenda to damage someone who they obviously don't like should be grounds of disciplinary action. It's extremely sad to think that the media and journalism today care about nothing more than "page hits". I've got a "page hit" for you guys, "Go F*ck Yourself".

I have ONE major complaint about this entire topic. Where is the ACCOUNTABILITY!!! Its one thing to be wrong in an analysis that ANY unbiased observer with the facts we all have, would see as a thinly disguised attack on a man's character for the sake of CREATING a furor out of NOTHING.

My question is how does the man still have a job as a "journalist" since he broke EVERY rule a true journalist holds dear. Why hasn't CBS censured him. Where is the outrage....because there really isn't any.

Unfortunately that's the way it is now. So called "journalists" have as much credibility as a Jet fan.... and because any lack of ACCOUNTABILITY we are left with either having to try and search for the truth, or left at the mercy of those who are just trying to promote a story rather than report on one. And if you think sports is bad, just try listening to Fox's coverage of the health care issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes