PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

F. Taylor: BJGE outworked Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there really BJGE bashers on the board? All I see are contingents who think he is the next great back, and a more pragmatic group who think he's an ok RB. Nothing great, just ok.

Yeah, apparently being pretty sure that Maroney's better than BJGE makes you a BJGE-basher. I think Maroney's a good RB, the kind who someone will trade a 4th rounder for even in the last year of his contract. BJGE is a different kind of back, and is a pretty decent one in his own right. I like BJGE, I think he could be a pretty good RB; don't see why I'd be a basher.

Last edited:
Re: F. Taylor : BJGE outworked Maroney

I'm not looking for that. I just want his RB by committee work to be a solid contribution. Block for Brady and maybe catch a pass now and then.

You touched on an important point, Maroney was a better RB BUT.... he was not very good at blitz pickup, with a franchise qb if you can read the blitz and protect the franchise you are a liability to the team.

You touched on an important point, Maroney was a better RB BUT.... he was not very good at blitz pickup, with a franchise qb if you can read the blitz and protect the franchise you are a liability to the team.

Thank you very much! This is exactly the issue that such a huge number of posters don't seem to realize. The way the NFL is these days and with #12 at the helm, blitz pickup and route running are at least of equal importance for a RB as running skills. I don't care if Maroney runs the ball like Walter friggin Payton, if he can't pick up the blitz, he's just a part-timer. And over the course of his career it's pretty obvious that his blitz pickup is below par and hasn't improved at all.

I'm surprised the BJGE bashers haven't been more vocal over the last few days. Maybe they're waiting for him to have a bad game or a key fumble to say "I told ya so".

For what it's worth Taylor had made some comments about the members of the RB group about two weeks ago during a radio interview. He said BJGE was hard working and determined. He said Maroney was a nice kid who was realizing that you have to work at being a RB- that's paraphrased but isn't too far from what he actually said. It was very telling at the time.

I think it's more that now that these stories about Maroney's lack of work ethic, and Law Firm's incredible work ethic, that fans appreciate and accept that. This is one of those situations where it could slap Maroney into adding working hard into the mix. If he does, he could be something. If he goes it on talent alone, as he has been, it will be a huge waste. He's already served most of his first contract at less of a level than he could have been at. Sad.

P.S. - I LOVE this keying on leadership and work ethic. This bodes very well for the immediate and long term future.

Thank you very much! This is exactly the issue that such a huge number of posters don't seem to realize. The way the NFL is these days and with #12 at the helm, blitz pickup and route running are at least of equal importance for a RB as running skills. I don't care if Maroney runs the ball like Walter friggin Payton, if he can't pick up the blitz, he's just a part-timer. And over the course of his career it's pretty obvious that his blitz pickup is below par and hasn't improved at all.

And that, kiddies, is why Kevin Faulk is the guy to follow around and learn from, even over Fred Taylor.

I thought that was quite obvious when Maroney was traded. Moving up from the 6th to the 4th isn't nothing, but it's pretty close

There is no doubt to me that Maroney is the better RB than BJGE. He's clearly more talented and has better results throughout his career. However, if BJGE is here because he outworked LoMo, then I have all of the admiration in the world for that.

Makes that 2006 draft look even worse. Jackson wasn't much of a worker either, but at the time there wasn't much else at the RB position to fall back on.

Arian Foster ran for 3 TD's and 231 against the Colts. I'm pretty sure he was an UDFA and would have been behind Ben Tate had he not injured himself.

There's no substitute for having some talent and putting in hard work opposed to having all the talent and being a loafer.

The Law Firm can be as good as his work ethic allows him to be.

BJGE is not a great pass blocker, and he's a terrible pass receiver. Those issues are not why BJGE is still on the team.

Yeah, apparently being pretty sure that Maroney's better than BJGE makes you a BJGE-basher. I think Maroney's a good RB, the kind who someone will trade a 4th rounder for even in the last year of his contract. BJGE is a different kind of back, and is a pretty decent one in his own right. I like BJGE, I think he could be a pretty good RB; don't see why I'd be a basher.
I agree. I like BJGE, like him a lot. But Maroney is still a better RB. Not going to get a 4th for BJGE. I think those who said the off-field efforts and attitudes made the difference are correct. A team is synergystic, if that is a word. You don't need for each individual part to be the best, but you do need the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts. This is better accomplished with attitude and work ethic.

Are there really BJGE bashers on the board? All I see are contingents who think he is the next great back, and a more pragmatic group who think he's an ok RB. Nothing great, just ok.

There are plenty in the two groups you described, and then there are those (and many of them) that say there is no reason to have a guy like BJGE on the roster because you can find someone of the scrap heap with very little effort, any time of year. And that back will be as good if not better than what the Pats have with BJGE.

I see myself as being in the middle group. I think he's good, not great, not horrible, and I think it's pretty cool that he's earned his roster spot every inch of the way. The flip side is you have (had) a guy like Maroney with far more talent, but apparently didn't feel that he had to work at it very much.

Last edited:
Nothing is worse than wasting talent. It infuriates me.

Please explain.

She's saying the Patriots would rather have a player who works hard 100% of the time even if he only produces 90% of production you may have gotten from Maroney.

Makes that 2006 draft look even worse. Jackson wasn't much of a worker either, but at the time there wasn't much else at the RB position to fall back on.

Fear not...Bill has taken over the draft

for me the Maroney, trade is the same as the Hobbs trade last year get something for a guy they were going to let walk the next year.

Nothing is worse than wasting talent. It infuriates me.

That's the irony isn't it? The more talented the football athlete is, the less he is inclined to work at his craft. The less talented, the more hard-working, and so on. It is very rare that you get an athlete that gets the best of both.

That's the irony isn't it? The more talented the football athlete is, the less he is inclined to work at his craft. The less talented, the more hard-working, and so on. It is very rare that you get an athlete that gets the best of both.

Yup, well put. When you get the extremely rare combination of the most talented + hardest working you get a result like Michael Jordan. That drive needs to come from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back