PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

16 million in cap space, sign a veteran or two

You can have that cap space carry over into next season and use it for extensions + new batch of FAs (Higgins?).

Or you can splurge for guys that haven't compelled any team to sign them nearly 2 weeks before the season starts.

Not sure why Bill is holding out on signing a couple of veterans to help out at the weak spots

- Ezekiel Elliott should be signed as the RB position beyond Stevenson is too inexperienced an unproven. Get it done Bill
- or Fournette or Mckissic or David Johnson
- OL veteran help for depth:
- Taylor Lewan
- Justin Pugh
- Gabe Jackson
- Eric Fisher
- Jawaun James
Zeke - yes
Fournette - ok
Johnson - Is it still 2016?

Those OL options are God awful. Why the hell would you want to them to sign the corpse of Taylor Lewan or the other AARP members? It is 2+ years late for all of them. James is recovering from his second Achilles tear, after not playing in 2020 or 2021. Sounds like a really great idea too.

Remember when people thought the Pats would re-sign Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower and Jamie Collins? The Pats kept one of those players (HT) and signed him to peanuts.

If Uche, Dugger and Onwenu have big years, the Pats need to stop being cheap and pay for guys they actually hit on in the draft. They will not sign for under market "hometown discounts". Those days are over.
They couldn’t afford all 3 then. They are flush with cap space now. Two entirely different situations.
The question then was which one do you keep, the question now is whether keeping each one is a better choice than spending the money on a different player.

The patriots always dorms to the cap. Not doing it the flashy way you wish they did doesn’t mean they are cheap and it has worked better than anyone else’s way for a very long time.

It is doubtful we will win the SB this year. Pay off the usual costs as 2023 goes along, and carry the balance into 2024, to load up for a run at multiple SBs with our good rookies and sign some FAs.
This!!!! We have hit on our rookie class. So better to use all the extra savings on truly top 5 or top 10 players in their positions which make a difference .Uche is a luxury we might not need as barmore will be in contract year next year and will most likely be again a major force .

After 2 years Judon should probably command less and we can use that on barmore extension .

If Douglas and Thornton come of age this season making our need at wr 1/ wr2 less then just splurge on tackle next season if anybody becomes available. I expect Jeudy to be signed next year and Parker to be cut or traded as his guaranteed contract is not too high .

Tbh pointless to spend cap on average veterans this season. Better to get our rookies and sophomores playing time to poliah them further . Will keep us in contention for next 3 years. Draft the Brock TE dude in first round and we should be in play next season if the rookie class comes as advertised.

I don't understand the love for ewok Elliot... Maybe 5 years ago, but now?

Can someone explain it?

I think there have been deals behind closed doors Zeke, Cook and Fournette will not be made public until after at least the 2nd preseason game.. to avoid Training Camp...

I think there have been deals behind closed doors Zeke, Cook and Fournette will not be made public until after at least the 2nd preseason game.. to avoid Training Camp...
I certainly hope that piece of **** Cook does not sign with NE. There’s even more stuff he’s done that you guys probably haven’t even heard about. Did you guys know he abused puppies as well?

pAtS aRe ChEaP
brainlet-makes-scrambled-eggs.png

You can have that cap space carry over into next season and use it for extensions + new batch of FAs (Higgins?).

Or you can splurge for guys that haven't compelled any team to sign them nearly 2 weeks before the season starts.
I believe that cap space will likely go to extending guys. Uche and Dugger as they mentioned were in talks for an extension. So who knows maybe one of those guys gets extended?

Who is available at this time and can he make a difference?

It's less about making a difference between winning & losing a championship, or even a division, as it is about giving our QB as much help as we can in order to make a proper evaluation of him; and that help includes at least a league-average Left Tackle, a reliable 3rd-Down RB & a WR about whom defensive coordinators might be somewhat worried... I still don't see any of that here.

It's less about making a difference between winning & losing a championship, or even a division, as it is about giving our QB as much help as we can in order to make a proper evaluation of him; and that help includes at least a league-average Left Tackle, a reliable 3rd-Down RB & a WR about whom defensive coordinators might be somewhat worried... I still don't see any of that here.
What Captain Stone wrote is 100% true. Who is walking the street unsigned right now and can fill in the aforementioned voids? Can someone come up with some specific names? Maybe Zeke and ____________?

What Captain Stone wrote is 100% true. Who is walking the street unsigned right now and can fill in the aforementioned voids? Can someone come up with some specific names? Maybe Zeke and ____________?

Some people might feel repulsed by the mere mention of his name, but Dalvin Cook is clearly the best offense player who remains unsigned... And after watching our other two RBs vs Houston, I would be on the phone with Cook's agent to see if we're any closer money-wise...

There are no "league average left tackles" or "WRs about whom defensive coordinators might be somewhat worried" walking the streets right now. We might find a 3rd down back, but not a starting left tackle or #1 WR.

And please don't suggest Taylor Lewan for LT - he is suing Dr. Andrews for botching his ACL repair. Lewan is completely finished.

BB has to save Bob Kraft some extra dollars so he can afford to go out to a massage parlor that the FBI aren't tracking yet!! :rofl:
One would think he's in the "can't get it up with a crane" phase of life by now?

PS: FBI wasn't involved last time, it was a local bust, thus relatively easy to buy his way out of.

man, it's disconcerting to read that report about JSS health concerns.
I agree that this is a year they have to stock WR's. And, maybe bring someone in at cut downs.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back