PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

16 million in cap space, sign a veteran or two

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure why Bill is holding out on signing a couple of veterans to help out at the weak spots

- Ezekiel Elliott should be signed as the RB position beyond Stevenson is too inexperienced and unproven. Get it done Bill
- or Fournette or Mckissic or David Johnson
- OL veteran help for depth:
-Taylor Lewan
- Justin Pugh
- Gabe Jackson
- Eric Fisher
- Jawaun James

Have to believe that signing one or two of these guys for 1 year contracts will not break the bank and will shore up the OL a hell of a lot more than bringing in no name undrafted JAG's

Last edited:
He’s saving for a rainy day.

I agree, but that takes space on the roster. Roster is full. Question is, who gets cut to make room? I just started a thread to discuss as that’s a question that will keep coming up from now until end of training camp.

Stay away from Fournette and especially David Johnson. That guy hasn’t retired yet?

Pass on Lewan, dirt bag.

That’s not gonna happen. Maybe one.
How to prioritize? I would say Dugger, Onwenu, Uche. Still don't know if Uche is the real thing and is basically a third down pass rush.

He's trying to keep Uche, Dugger and Onwenu. Going to be costly.
They should sign at least two, or all three to be the leaders two years from now.

Dugger is a must to me. He's becoming an absolute monster out there and he fits the amorphous Patriot Defense to a tee.

Onwenu should be retained, full stop. The guy can play at a high level and multiple positions and he's only going to get better if he avoids major injury. He's worth a high-OL contract.

I like Uche a lot, but he's more situational. If he's looking for 17aav, he will need to become a 3-down, edge-setting player to get it from Bill - basically become what Judon already is. I think he can do it, but this is the year to prove it if BB doesn't already see it.

We need an offensive tackle. Spending money, just to spend money, for any other position isn’t going to fix any problem

16 million cannot all be spent.
It must also be used for:
Player 52,53 and any player added during the season
Any player placed on IR or PUP
Practice Squad
NLTBE bonuses that get earned (patriots tend to have more of these then most teams)
Extensions

I have a strong feeling Onwenu is going to be resigned and Dugger is a lock. He should not cost more than 10 million AAV.

The Franchise Tag for Safety is 18.532M. The franchise Tag for LB is 17.421M How do you figure that Dugger, who is one of the best in the league, is only going to cost 10M AAV???

It's much more likely that Dugger is going to come in at 16-19M AAV than $10M AAV..

The Franchise Tag for Safety is 18.532M. The franchise Tag for LB is 17.421M How do you figure that Dugger, who is one of the best in the league, is only going to cost 10M AAV???

It's much more likely that Dugger is going to come in at 16-19M AAV than $10M AAV..
$10 mill AAV would rank 14th among safeties.
$16 mill would be top 5 and $19 mill is the highest paid safety in the nfl.

Not sure why Bill is holding out on signing a couple of veterans to help out at the weak spots

- Ezekiel Elliott should be signed as the RB position beyond Stevenson is too inexperienced an unproven. Get it done Bill
- or Fournette or Mckissic or David Johnson
- OL veteran help for depth:
-Taylor Lewan
- Justin Pugh
- Gabe Jackson
- Eric Fisher
- Jawaun James

Have to believe that signing one or two of these guys for 1 year contracts will not break the bank and will shore up the OL a hell of a lot more than bringing in no name undrafted JAG's

BB has to save Bob Kraft some extra dollars so he can afford to go out to a massage parlor that the FBI aren't tracking yet!! :rofl:

Remember when people thought the Pats would re-sign Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower and Jamie Collins? The Pats kept one of those players (HT) and signed him to peanuts.

If Uche, Dugger and Onwenu have big years, the Pats need to stop being cheap and pay for guys they actually hit on in the draft. They will not sign for under market "hometown discounts". Those days are over.

I believe there were some articles which were stating that Dugger perception is pretty low outside of new England and not considering him to be on par with minkah Fitzpatrick and likes and outside of top 10 the salaries for safety was around 10 million. So that's where my judgement was . 16-19 seems quite a lot but maybe that's the price for safety. Doubt If that would be the price for Dugger.

$10 mill AAV would rank 14th among safeties.
$16 mill would be top 5 and $19 mill is the highest paid safety in the nfl.
Yeah this was my understanding as well. Dugger Valuebis more for us than others . So it's unlikely that he might command anything north of 10-12 million.

After being a free agent for almost 5 months (other than Dalvin Cook, who was released in June), if a player can’t agree to terms with any of the 32 teams then I think that says significantly more about what the player is asking for than what any one team is offering. We’re not talking about a QB or starting WR that needs to get into camp and learn the whole playbook or develop a rapport with other players. These guys are role players or likely backups. The Patriots (and every other team) will be content to hold firm, not bid against themselves, and wait for the asking price to come down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back