PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

F. Taylor: BJGE outworked Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruschi, Harrison, Brady and Vrabel.

Its going to take attitudes like these guys to win another Championship and Maroney aint one of them.

Opposing coaches said they had 4 or 5 players that refused to lose. That has been lacking lately as evidenced by 4th quarter collapses. Some of the youngsters will step up in the next few years, hopefully.

When did BJGE become an above average blocking back?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that his blocking and receiving was what kept him off the field last year despite all the RB injuries and ineffectiveness. :confused2:

The lesson for me on this one is how much BB values 'Hard Work' and 'Consistency' above even talent.

Maroney at his best was better than BJGE at his best. But Maroney at his worst was worse. BJGE worked hard in practice and in games to make the most of his limited talent.

I guess that BB likes *knowing* that he'll get a decent performance from BJGE more than *hoping* he'll get an excellent performance from Maroney.

BTW, I really like the Taylor interview. He seems like a very together, mature guy. We're lucky to have leaders like that on our team.

Exactly! BB has said time and time again how important consistency is. So the coaches can reasonably know what to expect when the player is in the game. With LoMo - you didn't have any clue whether it was going to be a 20 yard gain, a 4 yard loss, something in the middle or a fumble. It really was a crap roll. Add in the fact that due to many injuries, there wasn't even the reasonable likelyhood that he would be available on any given week.

That kind of inconsistancy must drive coaches crazy. A 4th round for someone in their last year as a NEP, and at a position of depth - is a good value in my book. Especially as he was this year our #4 /#5 RB in depth.

When did BJGE become an above average blocking back?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that his blocking and receiving was what kept him off the field last year despite all the RB injuries and ineffectiveness. :confused2:

I agree with your 2009 assessment and was not high on bjge this year. But Taylor et. al. have mentioned that Law Firm worked hard this summer to improve in these key areas. The recent trade indicates some truth in these observations.

I agree with your 2009 assessment and was not high on bjge this year. But Taylor et. al. have mentioned that Law Firm worked hard this summer to improve in these key areas. The recent trade indicates some truth in these observations.

The trade indicates that the team decided to move on from LoMo. It says nothing about how good a blocker BJGE is.

Agreed. BB has mentioned BJGE pass blocking skills in a positive light as well as Fred Taylor mentioning it.

for me the Maroney, trade is the same as the Hobbs trade last year get something for a guy they were going to let walk the next year.

Not quite, IMO.
LaMa, through his apparent lack of dedication, was allowing Bill to marginalize him behind the 4 others; so getting what could be an early 4th-rounder for somebody < 1 year away from Unrestricted free agency and whom Bill was not going to re-sign, seems like proper asset management.
Trading his best, record-breaking KO Returner & #2 CB who still was 2 years away from Unrestricted free agency, for what eventually became lil' Richie OBurger & Myron Pryor, OTOH, was not proper asset management at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft