PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

F. Taylor: BJGE outworked Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the irony isn't it? The more talented the football athlete is, the less he is inclined to work at his craft. The less talented, the more hard-working, and so on. It is very rare that you get an athlete that gets the best of both.

It all comes down to competitive edge, the will to want it more. Its what makes average players good players, and really talented players great.

In my opinion, Maroney had at least three issues with regard to playing on the Pats -
1) His style was not well adapted to zone blocking, especially as a single RB. This is something that might not be as critical elsewhere
2) His pass blocking was not good to start with and did not improve significantly, to the point that if he was on the field, there was a good chance it was a run play. Also something that could be less critical to other teams. especially in 2RB formations
3) He did not eat and breathe football and was still immature ( he is still fairly young). This also affected how he ran once he was getting injured regularly and became even more of a negative after the last Pats season. This is another thing other teams may not think is quite as important.

From this you could see he did not fit here but could fit elsewhere (although I am not sure the Broncos is the best place for him. Anyway hopefully he helps them beat the Faiders twice this year.

Re: F. Taylor : BJGE outworked Maroney

Interesting insight in the never-ending BJGE vs. Maroney debate. Kind of hard to discount this one.

Maroney had so little playing time because he didnt earn it. He did not care whether he had the starting job or not, so all of this is not surprising.

It all comes down to competitive edge, the will to want it more. Its what makes average players good players, and really talented players great.

Bruschi, Harrison, Brady and Vrabel.

Its going to take attitudes like these guys to win another Championship and Maroney aint one of them.

Maroney had so little playing time because he didnt earn it. He did not care whether he had the starting job or not, so all of this is not surprising.

Actually he was grumbling this preseason about how little he was playing, IIRC.

BJGE is not a great pass blocker.

He doesn't have to be "great", or even "good" to be better than Maroney. This is where the work ethic comes in. Over his 4+ years here, Maroney's blocking has consistently sucked.

From what I've seen, BJGE is a good pass blocker. I don't know if there have been certain plays where he has whiffed badly, but he seems to pick up his man fine.

BJGE appears to be a good pass blocker, run blocker, a runner that will get you 4 yards consistent, and a ST player. BJGE was wide open a few times against the Bengals, maybe they will throw it to him sometime. Does he suck at pass catching because of his hands?

Good luck to Maroney in Denver, his name should be banned from the forum by next week though. :p

I thought that was quite obvious when Maroney was traded. Moving up from the 6th to the 4th isn't nothing, but it's pretty close

To put things in perspective though, that's like moving 70 or 80 spots for a guy who has one year left on his contract and may not have played a whole lot this year. That seems like pretty good value actually.

To put things in perspective though, that's like moving 70 or 80 spots for a guy who has one year left on his contract and may not have played a whole lot this year. That seems like pretty good value actually.

I hear you but still wince at the fact that we failed in having a hit with our first round pick, which I assume is not that common.

Is it my imagination or do we really have more than two first round picks that were let go/traded before they finished their entire contract?

if answer above is yes, should we avoid the first round picks and trade down for better value and more picks?

The lesson for me on this one is how much BB values 'Hard Work' and 'Consistency' above even talent.

Maroney at his best was better than BJGE at his best. But Maroney at his worst was worse. BJGE worked hard in practice and in games to make the most of his limited talent.

I guess that BB likes *knowing* that he'll get a decent performance from BJGE more than *hoping* he'll get an excellent performance from Maroney.

BTW, I really like the Taylor interview. He seems like a very together, mature guy. We're lucky to have leaders like that on our team.

Are there really BJGE bashers on the board? All I see are contingents who think he is the next great back, and a more pragmatic group who think he's an ok RB. Nothing great, just ok.

+1. He's a JAG with a good attitude at this point.

Also, the trade of Maroney puts a little pressure on any of the young guys who are tempted to slack.

Actually he was grumbling this preseason about how little he was playing, IIRC.

But, he obviously didnt put in the work to play more in Belichicks eyes. BB has always made his guys earn playing time unless the roster is so depleted that theres no other choice.

A year or two ago, Maroney said that it didnt matter if he was the starting RB or not. That was in one of the Boston papers.

Im glad hes gone.

Last edited:
Actually, about 50% flop rate for the first 5 picks. It really is a crap shoot.

A 50% Chance You'll Squander Millions - WSJ.com

Thanks! I didn't realize that it was that high. High cost of learning from the mistakes.

What the heck! I am here to enjoy the game as fan and should leave this complicated decisions to the team that obviously knows what they are doing. Let me get back to the tension of Sunday's match up. :D

The lesson is that high 1st round picks are overvalued compared to low first rounders, and second rounders.
I agree completely.

Just remembered that the success rate is inevitably going to be lower with low first-round, second-round picks than with high first-round picks, and the success rate is not what I would've expected even with the top five picks.

From what I've seen, BJGE is a good pass blocker. I don't know if there have been certain plays where he has whiffed badly, but he seems to pick up his man fine.

BJGE appears to be a good pass blocker, run blocker, a runner that will get you 4 yards consistent, and a ST player. BJGE was wide open a few times against the Bengals, maybe they will throw it to him sometime. Does he suck at pass catching because of his hands?

Good luck to Maroney in Denver, his name should be banned from the forum by next week though. :p

Correct. BJGE is a very good blocker on both the run and the pass.

+1. He's a JAG with a good attitude at this point.

Also, the trade of Maroney puts a little pressure on any of the young guys who are tempted to slack.

JAG as a runner perhaps, that remains to be seen. Above average, pass blocker, above average run blocker, above average ball security, above average special team player ( for a running back ), above average durability, above average worker, above average attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back