PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Back to the run heavy offense

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Looks like ground and pound it is for probably the next 4 weeks without Mac. I think they have the personnel to pull it off. Would be nice if they still had Mason. Hope Harris and Stevenson are ready for it and they stay healthy. I wonder if they’ll elevate Taylor. Is Strong healthy?

We still need half decent qb play for it to work and keep teams from stacking the box. Hoyer needs to prove his roster spot here, just has to keep defenses honest and we may be able to keep the games close with a chance to win.

If they're going run-heavy, then they'll need better running plays, e.g.: those that stress the edges more often and fewer ones that simply bang their heads against a wall up the middle... And they'll need more creative looks, including motion at the snap, unbalanced formations etc...

Welcome to the world of the permanent 8-man box against us.

Next week will be tough...GB looks like they did a good job stopping Pumpkin Pie Lenny yesterday. After that, the games vs the Lions, Browns, Jete, and Bears look winnable with a run-based offense.

The weak link to me on the O-line has been Andrews. Got beat on Mac's injury and one other costly play that's not coming to mind. We'll have to be a run first and then play action off the run team. I thought the O-line played pretty well other than Andrews. We seem to have that one costly holding or false start penalty that seem to stall drives.

I know we'll be prepared, it's just a matter if we can pull it off.

It seems like Bill does his best coaching job in these types of situations (Garrapolo/Brisette in 17, Cassel in 07)
This team doesn't have anything close to the personnel that those teams did. This will be Bill's best coaching job by a mile if the team can tread water in this stretch.

The weak link to me on the O-line has been Andrews. Got beat on Mac's injury and one other costly play that's not coming to mind. We'll have to be a run first and then play action off the run team. I thought the O-line played pretty well other than Andrews. We seem to have that one costly holding or false start penalty that seem to stall drives.

Isaiah Wynn was pretty bad again yesterday with a bunch of stupid penalties.

These penalties committed by the offense are Unacceptable; they show a lack of discipline partially emanating from a lack of respect by the players for the coaches, Wynn/Lose in particular; it's beyond obvious now that he's thinking more about free agency and less about cleanly executing the game plan... We're simply not talented or well-coached enough to overcome 1st/20s & 2nd/15s... And I'm no fan of these little delayed-draws up the middle behind Andrews where the RB has Zero momentum going into the hole...

Our running attack needs to stress the G-T & T-TE gaps more often, and the C-G gaps less often.

Looks like ground and pound it is for probably the next 4 weeks without Mac. I think they have the personnel to pull it off. Would be nice if they still had Mason. Hope Harris and Stevenson are ready for it and they stay healthy. I wonder if they’ll elevate Taylor. Is Strong healthy?
BB: Let's go Ground and Pound

Matty P: I'm on it!

1664199086183.png1664200016146.png

These penalties committed by the offense are Unacceptable; they show a lack of discipline partially emanating from a lack of respect by the players for the coaches... We're simply not talented or well-coached enough to overcome 1st/20s & 2nd/15s... And I'm no fan of these little delayed-draws up the middle behind Andrews where the RB has Zero momentum going into the hole...

Our running attack needs to stress the G-T & T-TE gaps more often, and the C-G gaps less often.
Lol Captain, I hear you on those draw plays...seems like we've been doing them forever. I don't watch as many "other" football games as probably most do on here, but when I do, I never see that call.

Last edited:
Isaiah Wynn was pretty bad again yesterday with a bunch of stupid penalties.
The thing about Wynn is: those stupid penalties are ALWAYS killers. We very rarely overcome them. When Wynn plays and isn't making mistakes, his play isn't bad. I think we'll see when the grades come out later today that he was pretty good.

It seems like Bill does his best coaching job in these types of situations (Garrapolo/Brisette in 17, Cassel in 07)
You make a good point, my dad also mentioned the 1st SB against the Rams-greatest show on turf. Also, the "we're onto Cincinnati game" where everyone counted us out and we went on to win the SB.

I agree. Andrews’s physical skills, never more than decent to begin with, have noticeably begun to decline. It’s going to get a QB hurt…again.

But the tackles, both of them, were less than stellar on pass protection. Trent Brown, for example, didn’t play as poorly as in Miami but nowhere as good as in Pittsburgh.

Billy Yates, how is Chases Hines doing in practice at center? Work him. He may be the future at the position.

The thing about Wynn is: those stupid penalties are ALWAYS killers. We very rarely overcome them. When Wynn plays and isn't making mistakes, his play isn't bad. I think we'll see when the grades come out later today that he was pretty good.
It just always seems to be two steps forward and one step back with Wynn. He was great sealing off on the Harris TD but killed us on multiple drives as well but I agree he isn't bad as an actual player. I think he is average to above average at times but the penalties kill us when we have so little room for error.

Billy Yates, how is Chases Hines doing in practice at center? Work him. He may be the future at the position.
I like that possibility. As I've mentioned before, Hines impressed late in camp when he got up and running, coaches thought he was our best blocking o-lineman. Might not be ready for the blitzes yet though.

It just always seems to be two steps forward and one step back with Wynn. He was great sealing off on the Harris TD but killed us on multiple drives as well but I agree he isn't bad as an actual player. I think he is average to above average at times but the penalties kill us when we have so little room for error.
Totally agree. Not a bad player and he has his moments, but just at that crucial moment when we're driving to get that go ahead TD, they'll be that "drive killing" false start or holding call that will frustrate you about him.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back