PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

He's not talking trade down. He's saying MHJ or Alt at #3. I don't agree with that. If they don't pick a QB at #3, they might as well trade down. I just don't see how they don't pick a QB. It's by far their #1 need. None of those guys are perfect. They all need development. They all have positives and negatives. Pick one, develop him, and see what you got.

The worse thing that can happen is to pass on #3, and he turns out to be CJ Stroud. Heads will roll. I don't think they're willing to take that risk.

No matter what they do, 50%+ of the board will criticize them.
Yeah, there’s zero sense in staying at 3 and taking anyone other than a QB. If you’re looking at a position other than QB, trade down. There will be premier WRs and tackles up to 8 to 10 slots later, and you can get a ransom to get even more, including another lower tier QB. If they stay at 3 and draft Joe Alt they’re brain dead.

I have been pretty high on JJ for quite awhile and am really not sure why people are not. He is top 2 in pocket navigation in this class, he is pretty clutch on 3rd and long (best of the top 6 draftable QB's). He is a capable scrambler and can be used in designed QB runs(he is fast and has wiggle), he makes tight window throws(creates good velocity). JJ was the best off play action, which AVP said we will see a lot in the offense. He throws really well on the run. He commands the offense and is very poised. He comfortably made line protection adjustments.

He has warts as do the rest of the QBs. He doesn't layer balls as well as most, he struggles throwing to his left when he drops back. He gets to aggressive at times, I am not sure if that is because he didn't throw as often or if its his nature. He stares down his target more than I like. I think his issues are correctable. He struggled at times to make correct reads.

I have finally finished watching all of the top 6 QB's and my current order is
1. Caleb
2. It was JJ for a long time but Maye has more upside, so he has overtaken this spot
3. JJ
4. Penix
5. Daniels
6. Nix

The comparison I keep hearing for McCarthy is Alex Smith, which, if accurate, is worth the 34th pick in the draft. If not accurate, and his ceiling is considerably higher then it could work out. There’s so little production it’s hard to tell.

Last edited:
The only alternative I like to picking a QB at 3 is to pick a QB at 4, 5, or 11. The idea of picking a non-QB with our first pick is crazy.

I haven't got a good read on Nix, but I'd be comfortable forgoing Maye or Daniels at 3 if we can land Penix or McCarthy at a lower spot and improve our draft capital in doing that.

I think Penix is a stud with the arm, size, and speed. Turn on the tape of the Sugar Bowl semifinals vs Texas (430 yards). He was ranked below the others only due to concerns about his knees, but those concerns have pretty much evaporated. The idea of him + extra draft choices to better address our other needs seems like a winner.

I think he has tools NFL front offices and coaches like to see in QB prospects, but he’s the riskiest of the top 4 because it’s all projection, and not production.
And how many times have we seen those Guys like him totally flame out?? Too many good luck to the Team that takes him in the Top 10. I hope it's not us.
failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

And how many times have we seen those Guys like him totally flame out?? Too many good luck to the Team that takes him in the Top 10. I hope it's not us.
failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters
Thats true we have also seen guys like Maye, Caleb and Daniels flame out as well....sooo

Thats true we have also seen guys like Maye, Caleb and Daniels flame out as well....sooo
JJ McCarthy just haven't produced on the College level like the others could he be great?? Yeah but we don't have a lot to go on so I would rather Bo Nix or Penix Jr over McCarthy. I would never take a Guy in the Top 10 with that many wany ?????

QB School rankings - grades JJ 3rd, ahead of Maye.

If McCarthy spends next season working on foot work and putting touch on check downs, he could be better than Alex smith come the 2025 season. No doubt he is an incredible leader and he makes plays!

The only alternative I like to picking a QB at 3 is to pick a QB at 4, 5, or 11. The idea of picking a non-QB with our first pick is crazy.

I haven't got a good read on Nix, but I'd be comfortable forgoing Maye or Daniels at 3 if we can land Penix or McCarthy at a lower spot and improve our draft capital in doing that.

I think Penix is a stud with the arm, size, and speed. Turn on the tape of the Sugar Bowl semifinals vs Texas (430 yards). He was ranked below the others only due to concerns about his knees, but those concerns have pretty much evaporated. The idea of him + extra draft choices to better address our other needs seems like a winner.
Its only crazy to not take a QB if the scouting department 100% believe in that qb as a future franchise qb. If its a mixed opinion take best player available or trade out of the pick.
Lots of emerging negative consensus on Maye. If real its concerning.
If not genuine, its one hell of a smoke screen

Last edited:
Its only crazy to not take a QB if the scouting department 100% believe in that qb as a future franchise qb. If its a mixed opinion take best player available or trade out of the pick.
Lots of emerging negatice consensus on Maye. If real its concerning.
If not genuine, its one hell of a smoke screen
you missed my point, which was to trade down but still pick a QB with our first pick, which could be 11 for example. I think trying to draft a QB late in the 1st or 2nd is too risky.

you missed my point, which was to trade down but still pick a QB with our first pick, which could be 11 for example. I think trying to draft a QB late in the 1st or 2nd is too risky.
OK got it. I am for taking BPA for offense either WR, QB, TE or OT
quality blue chipper...not taking some guy just because he is a qb.

I think Penix would be fine after a trade down

The open question is whether 11 is too risky, although I could see trading for 11, getting the 2025 1st and trading back up using both 11 and 23. We'd get our QB and a 2025 first.

Just trying to understand something here - As is my recollection, McCarthy was perceived as a game manager throughout his college career, as well as directly following the Championship game. (people were memeing him as the guy who does nothing on the group project and still gets an A etc).

And since then, he hasn't taken another snap - but somehow has jumped ahead of a bunch of QBs who were rated way above him during, and directly after the season.

So are teams really thinking that a few nice throws in shorts are enough to elevate him to be 2 overall in the draft? He was a 2nd (some outlets 3rd) round guy just a few weeks ago IIRC.

Is this a classic situation where the media hypes up a new prospect from week to week, because they've gotten bored talking about the last guy?

I remember reading that "draft stock" is really just something that exists in the eyes of the media. ie NFL teams more or less already know who sits where as they've scouted them for years, and only character/injury concerns that emerge last minute can cause major plummets.

Maybe he was always a first round talent, and the media just learned it.. I am interested to hear what other people think about the "draft stock" concept!
with our run game and defense, i would take a game manager any day if we fix the OLine as well

The open question is whether 11 is too risky, although I could see trading for 11, getting the 2025 1st and trading back up using both 11 and 23. We'd get our QB and a 2025 first.
We would get "our" QB? Your sure about that?

I would not be at all upset if at 3 Daniels was not available and Pats took JJ over Maye.

They all have warts yes...but missing easy throws in the middle over and over is a huge red flag.
There have now been multiple commentators who have all said the same negative things about Maye.
Maye's size and arm strength are ideal, but JJ has leadership qualities and taking his team all the way to a championship.
He was money in the championship game against bama in the last few minutes with all the marbles on the line and tons of pressure on him.

I think JJ could start next season after several games. I do not think Maye would play at all next year.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back