PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

McConkey is the guy for pick #34. Move up if you have to grab him.

new-ras-results-for-ladd-mcconkey-following-his-pro-day-v0-heo7y5nbz4oc1.jpeg

Last time a QB went from day 2 or later pick into the top 5 without throwing a meaningful pass, was Trey Lance

How did that work out?

smoke

I recall when SF let it be known that they were drafting Jones.

The last time we drafted a QB from Michigan it turned out pretty good

IMO, for the offense they are looking to run, Maye is #1 but if he goes to Washington then McCarthy is #2 (assuming Williams goes #1 overall obviously). However, Daniels also has a lot to like and brings a different dynamic. McCarthy is a little more unproven and has less raw athleticism but is also more polished with his footwork and has more experience in a pro style offense.

With Maye, you'd need to clean up his random accuracy issues and footwork. With McCarthy, you'd need to get him to level up his game as far as layering his throws more and changing up the speed of the pass - throws a lot of fastballs, not as much touch. With Daniels, you'd need to have him work on his middle-of-field passing and have him buy time with his legs to pass instead of just scrambling purely to run upfield. In a West Coast offense, Maye and McCarthy are better prepared for the play action/rollout run heavy type schemes, IMO, but Daniels would fit too. Last important piece is Maye and McCarthy are both a couple years younger than Daniels, so more room to develop. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, now I'm convinced you're on his management team. Nobody pimps Malik Nabers as much as you do. He's the 3rd best WR prospect, depending on how much you like Xavier Worthy.
odunze is a much better prospect than worthy imo

Penix has torn both ACL’s. The last player the Patriots drafted with that medical history was Dominique Easely. I would double dip with him in the 3rd round, but no way in hell am I taking a guy who has blown out both knees in college with a high pick,
I believe he tore the ACL twice on one knee
That could possibly be worse

I hope JJ does go #2 overall. That's great news for the Pats.

I actually think the Pats are in the best spot in this draft.

1.) We don't have to worry about Williams' height. He won't be available.

2.) We don't have to take McCarthy that early because we have options.

3.) We don't have to decide who will be the better QB between Daniels and Maye. One of them will fall in our laps.

4.) We can even trade that pick for a franchise altering haul or just take MHJ.

Adonai Mitchell is the Wr I’m hoping somehow makes it to 34.

I actually think the Pats are in the best spot in this draft.

1.) We don't have to worry about Williams' height. He won't be available.

2.) We don't have to take McCarthy that early because we have options.

3.) We don't have to decide who will be the better QB between Daniels and Maye. One of them will fall in our laps.

4.) We can even trade that pick for a franchise altering haul or just take MHJ.
I was with you until 4). I want a QB at #3.

I was with you until 4). I want a QB at #3.
QB at 3 only makes sense if you think he's actually the real deal. Otherwise it's dumb to pass up MHJ or Alt who are legitimately stud prospects at positions of need just to get a QB because you think you need one. If you think nobody left is worth being drafted at 3, get the best player in the draft and get a QB in round 2. Trade back up into 1 if someone falls enough

QB at 3 only makes sense if you think he's actually the real deal. Otherwise it's dumb to pass up MHJ or Alt who are legitimately stud prospects at positions of need just to get a QB because you think you need one. If you think nobody left is worth being drafted at 3, get the best player in the draft and get a QB in round 2. Trade back up into 1 if someone falls enough
Yeah it’s variable. I want a QB too but it depends on who is available. Let’s say they think Williams and Maye are “Tier 1” and then Daniels and McCarthy are “Tier 2” and Nix and Penix are “Tier 3”, but there’s a big gap between Tier 1 and 2 and not as big of a gap between Tier 2 and 3. If that’s the case then a trade down makes a lot more sense as you would be able to get a blue chip player at another position of need instead and still come back for one of your Tier 3 QBs. But it all depends on their board.

Adonai Mitchell is the Wr I’m hoping somehow makes it to 34.
I would love to see Piersall on this team….can play slot or longer patterns….tough kid

Yeah it’s variable. I want a QB too but it depends on who is available. Let’s say they think Williams and Maye are “Tier 1” and then Daniels and McCarthy are “Tier 2” and Nix and Penix are “Tier 3”, but there’s a big gap between Tier 1 and 2 and not as big of a gap between Tier 2 and 3. If that’s the case then a trade down makes a lot more sense as you would be able to get a blue chip player at another position of need instead and still come back for one of your Tier 3 QBs. But it all depends on their board.
He's not talking trade down. He's saying MHJ or Alt at #3. I don't agree with that. If they don't pick a QB at #3, they might as well trade down. I just don't see how they don't pick a QB. It's by far their #1 need. None of those guys are perfect. They all need development. They all have positives and negatives. Pick one, develop him, and see what you got.

The worse thing that can happen is to pass on #3, and he turns out to be CJ Stroud. Heads will roll. I don't think they're willing to take that risk.

No matter what they do, 50%+ of the board will criticize them.

He's not talking trade down. He's saying MHJ or Alt at #3. I don't agree with that. If they don't pick a QB at #3, they might as well trade down. I just don't see how they don't pick a QB. It's by far their #1 need. None of those guys are perfect. They all need development. They all have positives and negatives. Pick one, develop him, and see what you got.

The worse thing that can happen is to pass on #3, and he turns out to be CJ Stroud. Heads will roll. I don't think they're willing to take that risk.

No matter what they do, 50%+ of the board will criticize them.

Agree with this completely. The talent is there, you only use 1 pick for you franchise QB, and then you put all your resources into building around them. And if the logic those against it are using is that only 30% of 1st round QB’s hit the then they should be taking a QB with their first pick every year until they get them. Besides, they already missed on Mac Jones, so that means their odds are now 1 out of two.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back