PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

Yeah, there’s zero sense in staying at 3 and taking anyone other than a QB. If you’re looking at a position other than QB, trade down. There will be premier WRs and tackles up to 8 to 10 slots later, and you can get a ransom to get even more, including another lower tier QB. If they stay at 3 and draft Joe Alt they’re brain dead.
The only reason to take a non-QB at 3 is if they think that player is so good that he's better than all the combined players they could get from a trade down AND vastly better than any QB available.

The only reason to take a non-QB at 3 is if they think that player is so good that he's better than all the combined players they could get from a trade down AND vastly better than any QB available.
Marvin Harrison approaches that bar. He's far and away the best player in the draft.

Marvin Harrison approaches that bar. He's far and away the best player in the draft.
He'll be gone after his rookie deal if we don't find a franchise QB, probably sooner. He'll quit on the team and demand a trade. Imagine being a generational talent, open all the time, but rarely getting good balls thrown, or drawing doubles so that your garbage QB can throw underneath stuff all day. If you don't think there is an elite QB in this draft at #3, you trade the pick and stock up on high (projected) first rounders for future drafts so you can take more swings.

I think the smarter move is contingency plans on the premise they don't have a QB they like is to feel out teams RN for who'd want to trade up (for a king's ransom) to get MHJr.

Unless there is a generational OL talent available.

Imagine being a generational talent, open all the time,

What I've read in the past month would indicate he's one of three WR's in this draft that are roughly equal. None of them is the best player in the draft, nor generational. That's echo chamber magnification.

What I've read in the past month would indicate he's one of three WR's in this draft that are roughly equal. None of them is the best player in the draft, nor generational. That's echo chamber magnification.
Ty law was gushing about Marvin Harrison JR he is going to a a stud.

I don’t think I remember reports of the team having a formal dinner pre-visit with the other QBs but maybe I just didn’t see it. It’s a common practice, but usually with a guy the team has their eye on… Which could also be a smokescreen.

Personally - I think a lot of fans and media personalities are quick to write off McCarthy due to his sharp stock rise in the last two months. While going at pick 3 would certainly be higher than expected, and his body of work is smaller than the others, it’s not Trey Lance small. The kid has a high floor - he can start quickly, he has polished footwork, he played in a pro system in college and he has grade A intangibles and can lead a team coming fresh off a National Championship - but he also is barely 21 years old and has tons of room to grow his game, he’s sharp, he’s got a very good arm, and his athletic profile is sneaky good.

Last edited:
The Patriots if they draft JJM will set the franchise back 10 years. I’ll be seeing Jonathan Kraft homeless living on cardboard in the Storrow Tunnel in 2028. Robert’s milfilishious wife will divorce him and he’ll be consigned to dating an ugly harridan from The View.

Don’t do it. Trade out. Strong Michael Penix or Gutsy Spencer Rattler waiting in the wings.

Get a stud LT first.

I don’t think I remember reports of the team having a formal dinner pre-visit with the other QBs but maybe I just didn’t see it. It’s a common practice, but usually with a guy the team has their eye on… Which could also be a smokescreen.

Personally - I think a lot of fans and media personalities are quick to write off McCarthy due to his sharp stock rise in the last two months. While going at pick 3 would certainly be higher than expected, and his body of work is smaller than the others, it’s not Trey Lance small. The kid has a high floor - he can start quickly, he has polished footwork, he played in a pro system in college and he has grade A intangibles and can lead a team coming fresh off a National Championship - but he also is barely 21 years old and has tons of room to grow his game, he’s sharp, he’s got a very good arm, and his athletic profile is sneaky good.
I’m torn everyone tells me Drake, But my eyes tell me JJ.
I think he makes better passes than Drake.
But if Drake can be Herbert or Allen I have to say swing for greatness.

Hoping we can convince AZ to LAC to move up to 3.

You’re overthinking it.

The Patriots are about to engage in an epic blunder. Drafting JJM at 3 would be a colossal mistake.

Okay. Michael Penix or Spencer Rattler. I’m not going to draft a third round talent in JJM at #3.
Then let’s hope Maye is there

Just trying to understand something here - As is my recollection, McCarthy was perceived as a game manager throughout his college career, as well as directly following the Championship game. (people were memeing him as the guy who does nothing on the group project and still gets an A etc).

And since then, he hasn't taken another snap - but somehow has jumped ahead of a bunch of QBs who were rated way above him during, and directly after the season.

So are teams really thinking that a few nice throws in shorts are enough to elevate him to be 2 overall in the draft? He was a 2nd (some outlets 3rd) round guy just a few weeks ago IIRC.

Is this a classic situation where the media hypes up a new prospect from week to week, because they've gotten bored talking about the last guy?

I remember reading that "draft stock" is really just something that exists in the eyes of the media. ie NFL teams more or less already know who sits where as they've scouted them for years, and only character/injury concerns that emerge last minute can cause major plummets.

Maybe he was always a first round talent, and the media just learned it.. I am interested to hear what other people think about the "draft stock" concept!
I'm hoping its a smoke screen
If they pick him I'll vomit

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST