PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game 1/26/11- the first try

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 JJ Watt DE. The guy looks like he will be a stud. Great motor and size. The guy just makes plays.
28 (660) TRADE DOWN with San Francisco for 45 (450) and 76 (210)
33 Mike Pouncey OG. He will either replace Mankins or Connolly.
45 Quinton Carter FS. An athletic two way safety who can cover and play run support aggressively. Either a 'big nickel' candidate or the future replacement for Meriweather.
60 Titus Young WR. A fast, explosive deep field threat. Young could help the Pats stretch the field and is also a dangerous return man, having returned 2 kicks for touchdowns last year at Boise State.
74 Ras-I Dowling CB.
76 Jeremy Beal OLB.
92 Joseph Barksdale OT.
123 Thomas Keiser OLB.
156 Noel Devine RB.
184 David Carter DT.

Last edited:
17 JJ Watt DE. The guy looks like he will be a stud. Great motor and size. The guy just makes plays.
28 (660) TRADE DOWN with San Francisco for 45 (450) and 76 (210)
33 Mike Pouncey OG. He will either replace Mankins or Connolly.
45 Quinton Carter FS. An athletic two way safety who can cover and play run support aggressively. Either a 'big nickel' candidate or the future replacement for Meriweather.
60 Titus Young WR. A fast, explosive deep field threat. Young could help the Pats stretch the field and is also a dangerous return man, having returned 2 kicks for touchdowns last year at Boise State.
74 Ras-I Dowling CB.
76 Jeremy Beal OLB.
92 Joseph Barksdale OT.
123 Thomas Keiser OLB.
156 Noel Devine RB.
184 David Carter DT.

Sign me up for that. I really like Carter, hope we snag him.

4 big uglies in the top 60, and a reasonable center later. I can't argue with that. I'd prefer a S instead of a CB at 74. Do you have a secret plan for our safety need? Also, 92 will likely be traded forward.

#17 Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE Purdue
#28 Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
#33 Muhammad Wilkerson, DL Temple
#60 Danny Watkins, OG Baylor
#74 Ras-I Dowling, DB Virginia
#92 Titus Young, WR Boise State
#124 Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville
#156 Jake Kirkpatrick, C TCU
#184 Derrick Locke, RB Kentucky

17 - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

Nate Solder has the helium but Castonzo fits the scheme. Has great size and very long arms. Seems like he'd be a tremendous fit in our zone blocking run game.

28 - Justin Houston, OLB/DE, UGA

Initially picked Heyward here before seeing a lot of value lower in the draft for DEs. Houston was highly productive as a Junior captain at Georgia. His naysayers are correct, though - he is invisible on running plays, mostly because his hand technique is weak.

33 - Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin

Well, if they re-sign Mankins, the OL will be set for the next half decade. Carimi offers versatility, toughness and athleticism. I envision him taking over the RG position immediately.

60 - Allen Bailey, DE, The U

Nobody likes him. He's lost far too much weight this year. I would take a flier on the guy to see if he could be beefed up into a pass rushing 30 front DE. Hell, if he doesn't work out heavy, they could always try him as an elephant as is.

74 - Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

He's big, quick and versatile. I didn't really like much else at this spot, even though Bailey was selected prior. Still, subbing Bailey and Ballard for the starting wall o' beef on passing downs might be a vast improvement on Mike Wright and a UDFA flavor of the month.

92 - Tyler Sash, S, Iowa

If nothing else, Sash should be a terrific ST gunner. He made a hell of a lot of plays at Iowa the past two seasons.

123 - Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville

One of the only RBs I like coming out this year. His upright running style is a concern and he was nicked up at the end of the season but I love his speed, power and ability to catch the football.

156 - Noel Devine, RB, WVU

Measuring in smaller than most children early this week was a blow. Still, Brady might find a healthy version of Devine entertaining to use out of the backfield.

184 - Stephen Friday, DE, Virginia Tech

Will likely need a little more sand in the pants as a pro. Has a LB background. Nice conversion project this late in the draft, given his productivity last season.

I think a draft like this, while not what I'd originally intended, would work. Both lines get major upgrades - starters for the offense and pass rushing subs on the other side. Devine and Sash should impact specials positively, while Powell has a chance to help the running game.

One thing I really don't like about my selections is the lack of a WR or another corner.

I had just done this yesterday, but before I could post it I had to redo it because they updated the rankings. Some of the trades seem off the wall, but it is all within the rules.

I'll list all the trades first and then the picks, just so it reads better.

Trade 17 and 92 for 14
Trade 33 for 50, 146, and 2012 2nd rounder
Trade 60, 123, 184 for 52
Trade 74 for 85 and 117
Trade 85 for 95 and 127
Trade 117 for 139 and 171
Trade 156 and 171 for 126

Yeah...like I said crazy. Here are the picks.

14) Aldon Smith OLB Missouri
28) Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
50) Steve Wisniewski C Penn State
52) Muhammed Wilkerson DE Temple
95) Tyler Sash S Iowa
126) Bilal Powell RB Louisville
127) Greg Romeus OLB Pittsburgh
139) Stanley Havilii FB USC
146) Clint Boling OG Georgia

I'm not ready to do a full draft; and I'll have some haters for what I have but . . . so be it :)

1a) Anthony Castonzo, combination of being able to play on both sides and more ready than Solder.

1b) Christian Ballard, not exciting but the high floor type Belichick likes in round one.

2a) Cameron Heyward, huge upside here.

2b) Danny Watkins, can either replace Mankins or combine with him to give us a nice Guard duo

------- here is where I start grasping a bit

3a) Titus Young, I would take Torrey Smith but he'll be gone, I take a WR as I expect Welker and Branch gone after 2011 and we need another WR with upside to compete with Price, Tate, Edelman

3b) Jabaal Sheard, Jeremy Beal or your pick of OLB with upside in our system

4) Bilal Powell, not sure we get him here but I'll take him if we do.

5) Jake Kirkpatrick, need a potential starter at C, he's OK here.

That's all I've got, draft is too far away for me to have 6,7 round guys.

My plan would be :

Sign Mankins, team him with Watkins at G. Let Light go, Vollmer and Castanzo are the new T duo. Koppen starts another year, then is replaced if Kirkpatrick looks good.

Getting the 2 DE is great for my wants, we now have T. Warren, Brace, Heyward, Ballard, 4 legit DE; we can re-sign G. Warren if Ty isn't able to return. I would like to get another NT depending how they like Love long term.

I'm not even going to guess names at OLB but somewhere in that 3a, 3b, 4 range Bill will take a stab at a guy he likes.

I'm working on a full mock that involves getting Smith, Wisniewski, Castonzo, Wilkerson, Watkins, and Sash with the first 6 picks (with some trading up with picks received for Meriweather and *gasp* Welker). So basically, I took the last two mocks in this thread and added them together :lol2:

AFTER 1/28/11 Re-ranking:

Trade (down):
#17 (950) > KC for #21 (800) + #86 (160)

Trade (down):
#21 (800) + #184 (19) > ATL for #27 (680) + #91 (136) + #218 (5)

#27 = Cameron Heyward, 3-4 DE
#28 = Gabe Carimi, OT

Trade (down):
#33 (580) + #156 (30) > ARZ for #38 (520) + #102 (92)

#38 = Danny Watkins, OG

Trade (up):
#60 (300) + #74 (220) > WAS for #41 (490) + #152 (32)

#41 = Jabaal Sheard, OLB
#86 = Brooks Reed, OLB
#92 = Rashad Carmichael, CB
#102 = Will Rackley, OC
#123 = David Carter, 3-4 DE
#152 = Justin Rogers, CB
#218 = Lester Jean, WR

UDFA Candidates:
RB: Vai Taua, Graig Cooper
FB: Anthony Sherman
OLB: Justin Trattou, Cheta Ozougwu, Steven Friday
ILB: Greg Lloyd
OG: Caleb Schlauderaff
WR: Kris Durham, Anthony Parker
FS/CB: Richard Sherman

Lets' start the annual series of draft games.Don't worry about looking foolish, I do it for a living and am still standing.

So here's how it will work this time.

Using the list below, make your Patriots picks. For picks 17,28,& 33 you can choose a player ranked no more than 3 slots ahead (#17 you can go up to #14 but no higher and so on and so forth) After those picks you can go up 5 places but no higher.

NFL Draft - 2011 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Here are the Patriots picks as of now:17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

After you have made those picks, you can do trades as long as they make sense using the trade value board.

The Huddle Report - NFL Draft Research and Analysis

NO MOCKING ANYONE'S MOCK UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR MOCK SO IT CAN BE EQUALLY MOCKED.

There are no winners or losers unless you are a Jets fan. this is just to see where the thinking is for players at this time.

Assumptions: Mankins leaves via FA, Pats acquire LaMarr Woodley (pipe dream)

No Trade scenario:

17. JJ Watt DE Wisconson (not crazy about this pick. Not sure that Watt is stout enough at the POA against the run to be a 3 down DE in BB's 3-4. and therefore worthy of mid first round pick, but he should make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher and sub package guy in an area of need).
28. Gabe Carimi OT Wisconson Stud OT too good to pass up - may be moved inside to fill Neal/Mankins void if Light is resigned
33. Mike Pouncey OG Florida Stud OG replaces Mankins or Neal.
60. Titus Young WR Boise St
74. Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio St
92. Bilal Powel RB Louisville
123. Clint Boling OG Georgia (played tackle and guard in college)
156. Jake Kirkpatrick C TCU
184. Danny Aiken LS Virginia

#21 (800) + #184 (19) > ATL for #27 (680) + #91 (136) + #218 (5)

Just curious: who would you take if it were just #21 for #27 and #91 (which seems reasonable), and the Pats had #184 instead of #218?

184. Danny Aiken LS Virginia

Kurt: FWIW, Miguel's pages appear to be wrong in that Katula was actually signed through 2011. Would that change this pick?

Kurt: FWIW, Miguel's pages appear to be wrong in that Katula was actually signed through 2011. Would that change this pick?

He was the top ranked LS according to the ranking so I am assuming he'd require a draft pick rather than being available as an UDFA. I have no idea how this guy stacks up vs Katula, but no harm IMO using a 7th round pick on him to bring him in as competion. If he wins the competion, cutting Katula would be no big deal.

4 big uglies in the top 60, and a reasonable center later. I can't argue with that. I'd prefer a S instead of a CB at 74. Do you have a secret plan for our safety need?

Ah, I'm glad you asked! I drafted Dowling to play safety, I think he has the makings of a very good one.

#17 traded to Wash for #41 , #107 and #1 in 2012
Wash selects Ryan Mallett,QB.
#28 traded to Seattle for #57 and #1 in 2012
Seattle selects Collin Kaepernick,QB.

#33 Quinton Carter,FS
#41 Jabaal Sheard,DE
#57 Davon House,CB
#60 Daniel Thomas,RB
#74 Pat Devlin,QB
#92 traded straight up to MIA for #2 in2012
#107 Andre Smith,TE
#123 Cliff Matthews,DE
#156 Derek Newton,OT
#184 Bryant Browning,OG

In my exercise Patriots will end up having three # 1's and two #2's in 2012.
After a new CBA is agreed upon,Patriots trade for Larry Fitzgerald,WR,Arizona.

17-Costanzo-OT-BC
28-Cameron Heywood DE-Ohio State
33-Jimmy Smith, CB-Colorado
60-Ahmad Black-S-Fla
74-Sam Acho-DE-Texas
92-Joseph Barksdale-OT-LSU
123-Owen maricuc-FB-Stanford
156-Ricky Stanzi, QB Iowa
184-Denarius Moore-WR-Tennessee

How about change of pace? I don’t like CBS or National Football Post but shows how different ratings can be.

I used the NATIONAL FOOTBALL POST rated player list [updated 2/1/11] for draft rankings. Selections were made at +/- 5 draft projection. Trades were NOT included.

1st Round – #17 DaQuan Bowers DE Clemson
1st Round – #28 Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2nd Round – #33 Mike Pouncey C Florida
2nd Round - #60 Nate Solder T Colorado
3rd Round – #74 Martez Wilson OLB Illinois
4th round - #123 Shareece Wright CB USC
5th round - #156 DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma
6th round - #184 John Moffitt G Wisconsin

How about change of pace? I don’t like CBS or National Football Post but shows how different ratings can be.

I used the NATIONAL FOOTBALL POST rated player list [updated 2/1/11] for draft rankings. Selections were made at +/- 5 draft projection. Trades were NOT included.

Love the picks, just don't think Bowers will make it out of the top 5, or Solder the first 15.

Awesome mock. Problem is, Bowers,Solder and Moffit dropped like a ton of bricks. Any reason why you see them falling?

Ah, what the hell:

1/17 - Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue - I'm not enamored with the DE prospects here. I'm not sold on Kerrigan this high either though.
1/28 - Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

***Trade*** Patriots trade Mallett, their 4th round pick (#123), a 2012 3rd rounder (can conditionally move higher) and CB Darius Butler to the Arizona Cardinals for WR Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals 6th round picks in 2011 (#166) and 2012.

2/33 - Stefan Wisneiwski OL Penn State - Like him better than Pouncey, who PIT will probably take anyway. Can handle all INT positions, great bloodlines.
2/60 - Delone Carter RB Syracuse - pending Combine measurements. He fumbled more than I'd like in college, want to see if it's coachable or small hands.
3/74 - Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson
3/92 - James Brewer OT Indiana - Let Dante run 15 lbs off him, and we have a nice RT prospect.
4/123 - Traded to Cardinals. In the spirit of the rules, I guess the Patriots could draft Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU and then execute the trade.
5/156 - Kendric Burney CB North Carolina
6/166 (From Arizona) - Greg McElroy QB Alabama - Brian Hoyer will be a tradeable asset soon.
6/184 - David Carter DE UCLA
6/Comp - Willie Smith OT East Carolina

Last edited:
Awesome mock. Problem is, Bowers,Solder and Moffit dropped like a ton of bricks. Any reason why you see them falling?

I agree I don't see Bowers, Solder or Moffit failing that far. Just wanted to point out how different ratings are Bunting at National Football Post seems to be the on another planet with some of his evaluations. What I like about his ratings is that he shows you his ratings and how he rates them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye