Trade the #33 for #38 and #117
Trade the #57 and #112 for #49
Trade the #117 and #156 for #51
Trade the #60 for #70 and #118
Trade the #74 for #81 and #142
Trade the #92 for #100 and #148
Trade the #142 and #184 for #137 and #192
Trade the #148 for a 4th rounder in 2012

30. Cameron Jordan, DE (make sure you don't write the name Jordan Cameron on the card, TE from USC)

32. Gabe Carimi, T/G

38. Mike Pouncey, G

49. Phil Taylor, DT

51. Steve Wisniewski, C

70. DeMarco Murray, RB

81. Leonard Hankerson, WR

100. Sam Acho, OLB

118. Colin Kaepernick, QB

123. Bilal Powell, RB

192. Zach Hurd, T

Everyone makes the team.

I'm trade crazy.

Trade the #17 for #30 and #57
Trade the #28 for #32 and #112
Trade the #33 for #38 and #117
Trade the #57 and #112 for #49
Trade the #117 and #156 for #51
Trade the #60 for #70 and #118
Trade the #74 for #81 and #142
Trade the #92 for #100 and #148
Trade the #142 and #184 for #137 and #192
Trade the #148 for a 4th rounder in 2012

Everyone makes the team.

This will not be another year of trading down to select 10-12 picks. 7-8 picks is the number needed because there is not that much roster space. It's time to get impact guys to round out the roster and let the guys that we've drafted the last two years build on the experience they got this past year.

Last edited:
Trades
17 for 22 and 84
60 and 92 for 47
74 and 123 for 65

Picks
22 DE JJ Watt
28 OT Gabe Carimi
33 OG Mike Pouncey
47 OLB Jeremy Beal
65 FS Rashim Moore
89 trade for a 2012 2nd or early 3rd
156 OC Jake Kirkpatrick
184 WR Denarius Moore

I think I've covered the bases. I expected running backs to come from trades or free agency.

Oooh, I like these games.

Most participants in these exercises, however, fall into one of two camps: we either try to stringently predict the Patriots, or just charge ahead and pick players that appeal on a personal level. I will try to post mocks of each kind, since my feelings about personnel is often not the same as the Patriots.

First, a mock for my own enjoyment. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day I can attempt one from the Patriots front office/scouting corp perspective, but for now, I'll pick players I like, independent of perfect scheme fit.

I wrote this at work while only one reply existed, but now that I have a chance to post my ramblings, I realize quite a few people chose the same players. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign. *grin*

17) Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB from Iowa. Hey, if Tamba Hali can play in the Romeo Crennel 34 defense at 6'3, 275 with a 4.87 forty, then I don't see why Clayborn couldn't as well, once he's back down to the 270 range (he bulked up per coaches request, and should regain his burst and agility at a lower weight).

28) Jimmy Smith CB from Colorado. I have full confidence that he will work out better than our last corner from Colorado. Smith is exceptional against slant routes. He might have the best press coverage skills of any corner in the draft. Some have issues with the fluidity of his hips, and others complain that he doesn’t get off blocks well enough in the run game, but I think it is more a function of technique and coaching than a lack of physical ability. Flashes explosive hitting power, and has super long arms that he uses extremely well to knock away passes, even when he’s beaten. Love the fact that he plays RCB, while McCourty is locked in at LCB. Smith can play in a rotation, and eventually take over for Bodden, who could also be an intriguing option at free safety.

33) Danny Watkins OG from Baylor. Mankins redux. He'll play RG for us, since we'll open the coffers and keep the All-Pro mountain man Logan Mankins at LG. Watkins and Vollmer will be the most beastly right side in the business.

60) Benjamin Ijalana OT from Villanova. Perhaps the most athletic road grader in the draft. Some of the other tackles are taller and quicker in a straight line, but few have the overall coordination, footwork, raw power, and run blocking skills. He's roughly the same height as Matt Light, for those who worry about his length on the edge (maybe ¾ of an inch shorter), but he's thicker, stronger and, in my opinion, more agile. I think he's a better overall talent than Saffold was last year, who proved to be a good young left tackle. Ijalana and Mankins playing on the left side is a dominant run-blocking tandem, with great upside. And as Vollmer illustrated in his rookie season, BB trusts a rookie LT to protect TFB provided he gets the job done.

74) Kenrick Ellis DT/DE from Hampton. Has the size, power, and athleticism to become a cross between Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour. Raw, but insanely talented, he falls due to off the field concerns, but straightens out once he has a chance to play in the big leagues.

92) Bilal Powell RB from Louisville. My favorite player in the draft, Powell has the burst and lateral agility to add a new dimension to our run game. His hard-charging style and fearlessness between the tackles sets him apart from other 5’11 #205 scat backs. High speed, high intensity, high character. Perfect running back to fill out our rotation.

123) John Moffit OC from Wisconsin. Moffit bounced between guard and center in his career, but now has lost weight and is working as a center in the senior bowl. His run blocking is flat out nasty, though he does occasionally struggle in space. He will need to improve his ability to pull and get out to the second level, but he’s got the size and strength to hold up against the big nose tackles in our division. May need a year in Scar’s academy before he’s ready to start, due to some coordination issues, but I expect him to be a long term answer at the position.

156) Markus White DE/OLB from Florida State University. White has flown under the radar all year, but at 6’4, #262 with 4.6 speed, he deserves consideration late in the draft. Why not take a flyer on a guy who put up 8.5 sacks and plays with a relentless motor? If not for Brandon Jenkins across from him, White may have had better stats. In the games I saw, he was often doubled, and still hit the quarterback just after Jenkins registered the sack. At the very least, he could challenge TBC for a roster spot.

184) Lee Smith TE from Marshall. One of the most dominating blocking tight ends I’ve seen in a long time, with enough short area quickness to at least serve as a reliable outlet as a pass catcher, as well. Could replace Crumpler in another year or two.

I didn’t have room to slot him in, but if I could choose one more player, it would be Henry Hynoski, the FB from Pittsburgh. Oh, yeah. We’re bringing back the fullback. Hynoski is an old school blocker who obliterates linebackers, but he’s also a pretty good receiver. Plus, his name always makes me think of a rhinoceros, which is always a plus. More than just a masher, he’s a two time Big East All Academic, which bodes well for his chances in the Patriots offense.

Whew! I need to type less. Sorry, folks. That was a bit lengthy.

FA will change the value of each position, but based on today's current needs

#17 Mark Ingram RB Alabama - Ingram would complement BGJE nicely
#28 Justin Houston OLB Georgia - We need a pass rusher, but I doubt it will happen
#33 Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State - OL is going through some big change. This guy can play all positions inside
#60 Danny Watkins OG Baylor - more quality depth at OL
#74 Marcus Cannon OT TCU - I dont like this pick, but it's good value :)
#92 Tyler Sash SS Iowa - Tyler can replace McGowan
#124 Stanley Havili FB Southern California - versatile FB? sign the beast!
#156 Martin Parker DT Richmond - sure why not
#184 DeAndre Brown WR Southern Mississippi - nice big target that Brady likes

This is my "wet dream" draft.... well done, whiZ. addresses all glaring needs. I just doubt BB goes RB at #17 though.

I like Houston and Havili but the other picks are questionable IMO considering there is no 3-4 DE in relevant rounds.

Ingram - Too high for RB
Wisniewski - OT and OG are higher priorities than C.
Danny Watkins will be 27 yrs old later this year and is still raw talent. He's older than half the current OL.
Marcus Cannon is projected to be a Guard not a tackle.
Sash - We need a FS as James Sanders, Chung, and Sergio Brown are all SS.
Parker - Until the East-West game was considered a UDFA
Brown - Has progressivly gotten worse over his career. lacks discipline.

Last edited:
This will not be another year of trading down to select 10-12 picks. 7-8 picks is the number needed because there is not that much roster space. It's time to get impact guys to round out the roster and let the guys that we've drafted the last two years build on the experience they got this past year.

This is a game. Not what the Patriots should do. The list we're going off of is not a mock draft, it's a straight ranking from CBS.

Plus, the guys I selected would knock LeVoir, Ohrnberger, Banta-Cain, Morris, Taylor, Deadrick/Moore, off the roster. We still have lots of guys that need to earn those spots. I added 3 good OLs, I'm sure they could replace some of our backups at the very least.

Also 2 RBs who could replace Morris and Taylor.

One OLB added as well as a couple stud DLs.

17 RB: Mark Ingram - Becomes first rb
28 OT: Gabe Carimi - Bring mean back to the o-line
33 OG: Mike Pouncey - further o-line rebuild
60 DT: Muhammad Wilkerson - Defense depth.
74 DE: Christian Ballard - More Defense depth.
92 WR: Titus Young - Speed Demon like DeSean Jackson.
123 QB: Colin Kaepernick - Hearing good things from senior bowl.
156 C: Jake Kirkpatrick - More o-line work.
184 WR: DeAndre Brown - Big.

#17: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB - possibly trading up to get him, he's getting some attention so I can see him moving up a lot of people's boards and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jaguars take him at #16. Most people seem to be projecting him as a 4-3 DE but I think he'd be a perfect fit in the Pats 3-4.

#28: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE - might be a slight reach but he's another person I see climbing up boards before the draft and I don't want to risk waiting to take him at #33 with the Packers potentially needing a 3-4 DE

#33: Stephen Wisniewski, OG - would have loved to have taken OL Gabe Carimi but I just don't see him falling out of the 1st round. If the general feeling is that Wilkerson will make it past the Packers then I'd happily take him here and take Carimi at #28. Regardless Wisniewski is a good consolation prize and has the ability to play guard or centre which is a bonus

#60: Ahmad Black, S - I don't think Merriweather is going to be around much longer, opinion seems divided on keeping him or not but BB had no problem dealing Lawrence Maroney away and the RB corps improved because of it. Same is true of Randy Moss and the WR corps. Merriweather strikes me as similar to Maroney in that they just don't seem to fit the Patriot way (plus neither has lived up to the expectation of being a 1st round pick) and I can see him being dealt at some point

#74: Titus Young, WR - Young's stock seems to be on the rise so I'm doubtful that come April he'll still be available here but if he is then this is too much of a steal to pass up. Brandon Tate was underwhelming this year and whilst I don't want to give up on him after only one year I think Young would offer an immediate upgrade. Young is able to be the downfield reciever that Tate is projected to be and also act as a Returner on special teams (similar to what the Eagles have with DeSean Jackson)

#92: Owen Marecic, RB - A lot of mock's have him projected as a FB but I'm going to project him as a RB firstly because the Pats don't tend to carry a true FB and secondly I'm hoping he could be a Peyton Hillis clone. I can't see Fred Taylor returning next year and I'm doubtful about Sammy Morris, so we need to add at least one backup/COP guy and given the depth of the position I don't see any need to fill this need early on. Marecic playing both offense and defense in college would suggest that he is a hard worker and I expect he'd be able to play ST as well as RB

I would have liked to have been able to mock us 2 O-Linemen but as necessary as they are they aren't particularly interesting picks so I gave in to temptation and went with players at more 'interesting' positions (which is probably why I'd be an awful personell evaluator :p)

Second attempt, with one trade.

Trade 17 to KC for #21 + #86

21 = RDE, Watt or Heyward
28 = RT, Carimi
33 = CB/FS, Jimmy Smith
60 = OG, Danny Watkins
74 = RB, Daniel Thomas
86 = OLB, KJ Wright
92 = OC, Will Rackley
123 = DE/OLB, Brooks Reed
156 = DT/DE, David Carter
184 = CB, Justin Rogers

Assuming 6th Round COMP pick (Watson minus Crumpler):
WR Lester Jean (#224) - 6'3"/211, 4.49
WR Courtney Smith (#247) - 6'4"/220, 4.58

UDFA Candidates:
RB: Alex Green, Graig Cooper
FB: Anthony Sherman
OLB: Justin Trattou, Cheta Ozougwu, Steven Friday
ILB: Greg Lloyd
OG: Caleb Schlauderaff
WR: Kris Durham, Anthony Parker
FS/CB: Richard Sherman

21 = RDE, Watt or Heyward
28 = RT, Carimi
33 = CB/FS, Jimmy Smith
60 = OG, Danny Watkins
74 = RB, Daniel Thomas
86 = OLB, KJ Wright
92 = OC, Will Rackley
123 = DE/OLB, Brooks Reed
156 = DT/DE, David Carter
184 = CB, Justin Rogers

I'll take one of those! (Though I'd much prefer a different running back.)

I'll take one of those! (Though I'd much prefer a different running back.)

Yeah. I'm frankly underwhelmed by the entire slate of RBs in this class. I just went for heft with Thomas.

There are some other guys at other positions available (currently) around the #74 slot, but I sorta felt like I already had those positions better covered (reserving the right to change my mind several times - ;)).

17 - Trade with Atlanta 27 + 59 for 17 + 156 Atlanta takes Adrian Clayborn DE

27 - Anthony Castonzo OT BC

28 - Cameron Jordan DE CAL

33 - Justin Houston OLB UGA

47- 60 + 92 Stefen Wisniewski C Penn St.

59 - Ahmad Black SS UF

69 - 74 + 156 - DeMarco Murray RB OU

123 - Greg Romeus OLB Pitt

184 - Bryant Browning OG OSU

DeMarco Murray is going to be a nice all purpose back. Remember Keith Byars and Larry Centers? Would you like to have those guys from back in their heyday?

I think this kid possesses those type of skills.

BTW, just some food for thought here: the NFL has said that should there not be a new CBA before the draft, teams will NOT be able to contact/sign UDFAs.

Does that change how any of you look at the last couple of rounds of the draft?

Its way early and I suspect these players will move up or down the draft board ... but here goes!

17 Cameron Jordan DE Cal (Don't think he will be here at 17)
28 Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin (I would take him at 17 too)
33 TRADE down to #59 for a 5th round pick this year and 3rd round next year
Danny Watkins OG Baylor (BB loves taking OT and making them OG)
60 Ahmad Black SS Florida
74 Kendrick Ellis NT Hampton
92 Titus Young WR Boise St
123 John Moffitt OG/OC Wisconsin ( saw him shotgun snap at Senior Bowl practice - he is also nasty like Watkins and played next to Carimi)
146 (from #33 trade) Vincent Brown WR San Diego St
184 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa (groomed on the Paractice Squad)

BTW, just some food for thought here: the NFL has said that should there not be a new CBA before the draft, teams will NOT be able to contact/sign UDFAs.

Does that change how any of you look at the last couple of rounds of the draft?

Also, no free agency, correct?

Good point and I tried to take that into account a bit with my second attempt, but I'm still feeling iffy about it.

Also, no free agency, correct?

Good point and I tried to take that into account a bit with my second attempt, but I'm still feeling iffy about it.

Correct. For the moment, the Draft is the only route for teams to add talent.

Its way early and I suspect these players will move up or down the draft board ... but here goes!

17 Cameron Jordan DE Cal (Don't think he will be here at 17)
28 Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin (I would take him at 17 too)
33 TRADE down to #59 for a 5th round pick this year and 3rd round next year
Danny Watkins OG Baylor (BB loves taking OT and making them OG)
60 Ahmad Black SS Florida
74 Kendrick Ellis NT Hampton
92 Titus Young WR Boise St
123 John Moffitt OG/OC Wisconsin ( saw him shotgun snap at Senior Bowl practice - he is also nasty like Watkins and played next to Carimi)
146 (from #33 trade) Vincent Brown WR San Diego St
184 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa (groomed on the Paractice Squad)

Very nice indeed. IF Jordan can really be an every-down DE, I really like how this all comes together. I'd much rather try to develop a mid-late center or two for the next year as Koppen plays out his contract rather than overdraft Wisniewski, who has trouble in the shotgun. (Maybe consider an RB in place of the 2nd WR, though?)

First try for this year:

#17 Nate Solder 6'8 314lbs OT Colorado
#28 Cameron Jordan 6'4 287lbs DE Cal
#33 Mike Pouncey 6'4 310lbs OG Florida
#49 Jeremey Beal 6'2 268lbs OLB Oklahoma
#74 Orlando Franklin 6'7 315lbs OG Miami (FL)
#123 Austin Pettis 6'3 205lbs WR Boise State
#156 Martin Parker 6'2 300lbs DE Richmond
#184 Wayne Daniels 6'2 250LBS OLB TCU

60 & 92 traded for #49

With the guards drafted, a change of style on the O line going for a more physical down field style instead of the zone blocking, a tall WR and a couple of defensive linemen and outside linebackers.

EDIT: Just noticed do the trades AFTER the picks, I'll do 60 & 92 later then.

love it...that would be a great draft imo. Austin Pettis would be a great add to the Pats. He is a player

This is just an exercise to see what players people like at various rounds and picks. The CBS list is the best that I know if available free to everyone at this point.

We have done this for the past 5 years. We will do others when more info on the players come to like. I do see many of the same names from different posters.

This is not intended to be a "hard mock". Other teams needs need to be taken in account when doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes