PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game 1/26/11- the first try

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/28 - Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

***Trade*** Patriots trade Mallett, their 4th round pick (#123), a 2012 3rd rounder (can conditionally move higher) and CB Darius Butler to the Arizona Cardinals for WR Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals 6th round picks in 2011 (#166) and 2012.

As a minor point, even if there's a new CBA allowing trades, the trade would likely have to be 1.28 + whatever, rather than it happening the way you suggest here; the rookie cap currently in place depends on the picks you use, not the number of players you end up with. In other words, Arizona would have to find a way to pay him, but the room in the rookie cap would go to New England. [The Rivers/Sheli trade worked because they were both drafted high enough.]

As a minor point, even if there's a new CBA allowing trades, the trade would likely have to be 1.28 + whatever, rather than it happening the way you suggest here; the rookie cap currently in place depends on the picks you use, not the number of players you end up with. In other words, Arizona would have to find a way to pay him, but the room in the rookie cap would go to New England. [The Rivers/Sheli trade worked because they were both drafted high enough.]

Agreed. I's just trying to comply with the rules of the thread.

First of the year. It will change quite a bit before draft day.

17. Cameron Jordan. DE/DT/OLB. California=versatile player we need up front

28. Gabe Carimi. OT. Wisconsin. Best tackle in this draft imo

33. Maurkice Pouncey. G/C Florida. Pick probably gets traded, but need more youth up front

60. Sam Acho. DE. Texas. We'll see how he does at the combine.

74. Ras I Dowling. CB. UVA. Nice corner, very underrated.

92. Greg Romeus. DE. Pitt. Could be a steal here. or bust.

123. John Moffitt. G/C. Wisconsin. Lets load up front and see what it brings.

156. DeMarco Murray. RB Oklahoma. Seems like the consensus pick at 156.

184. Willie Smith. OT/G. East Carolina. Very raw but extremely athletic. A project.

My critique after looking at it. Very heavy with offensive line and DE. No true lbs. No safety drafted. No true DT. I still like it though.

I'm fine with your top 5. BTW, huddle has Dowling at 58.

92 will be traded into 2012.

Pouncey is not a center, although I strongly support the choice.

I would prefer a real center later instead Moffitt (perhaps Kirkpatrick or Barnes).

First of the year. It will change quite a bit before draft day.

17. Cameron Jordan. DE/DT/OLB. California=versatile player we need up front

28. Gabe Carimi. OT. Wisconsin. Best tackle in this draft imo

33. Maurkice Pouncey. G/C Florida. Pick probably gets traded, but need more youth up front

60. Sam Acho. DE. Texas. We'll see how he does at the combine.

74. Ras I Dowling. CB. UVA. Nice corner, very underrated.

92. Greg Romeus. DE. Pitt. Could be a steal here. or bust.

123. John Moffitt. G/C. Wisconsin. Lets load up front and see what it brings.

156. DeMarco Murray. RB Oklahoma. Seems like the consensus pick at 156.

184. Willie Smith. OT/G. East Carolina. Very raw but extremely athletic. A project.

My critique after looking at it. Very heavy with offensive line and DE. No true lbs. No safety drafted. No true DT. I still like it though.

At this stage I'm really interested in Aldon Smith. I think he would be a top 10 pick but the needs of other teams for a QB might drop him slightly out of the top 10.

While having a 3 hour treatment at the doctors I came up with this new Patriots mock with trades.

Patriots trade picks #17 and 60 to the Titans for pick # 11.

#11 Aldon Smith OLB MO
#28 Game Carimi OT Wisc
Patriots trade Pick #33 to SD for picks #50 & 82
#50 Jon Pinkston, OG Pittt
#74 San Ohco, OLB TX
#82 Daniel Thomas RB Kan St
#92 Rashad Carmichael, CB, V. Tech
#124 Pat Devlin, QB, Del
#156 Jake Kirkpatrick C, TCU
#184 Brandon Blair, DE, Ore

If this draft should come about the Patriots will have more Brandon's than any team in the NFL. I think that would be a solid draft.:scared:

Last edited:
Patriots trade picks #17 and 60 to the Titans for pick # 11.

#11 Aldon Smith OLB MO

I know you're bound by the rules of the draft chart and the game but IF this was to happen I think it would be cheaper based on other recent draft trades than 17+60.

Last year:

Denver traded the No. 11 overall pick to San Francisco in exchange for the No. 13 pick overall and a fourth-round pick (No. 113).

Denver traded the No. 13 overall pick to Philadelphia for the No. 24 overall pick, a third-round selection (No. 70) and an additional third-round selection (No. 87).

Miami traded the No. 12 overall pick, a fourth-round pick (No. 110) and a sixth-round pick (173) to San Diego in exchange for the 28th overall pick, a second-round pick (No. 40), a fourth-round pick (No. 126) and linebacker Tim Dobbins.

I think one of the third rounders gets it done, maybe a later round pick thrown in.

I know you're bound by the rules of the draft chart and the game but IF this was to happen I think it would be cheaper based on other recent draft trades than 17+60.

Last year:

Denver traded the No. 11 overall pick to San Francisco in exchange for the No. 13 pick overall and a fourth-round pick (No. 113).

Denver traded the No. 13 overall pick to Philadelphia for the No. 24 overall pick, a third-round selection (No. 70) and an additional third-round selection (No. 87).

Miami traded the No. 12 overall pick, a fourth-round pick (No. 110) and a sixth-round pick (173) to San Diego in exchange for the 28th overall pick, a second-round pick (No. 40), a fourth-round pick (No. 126) and linebacker Tim Dobbins.

I think one of the third rounders gets it done, maybe a later round pick thrown in.

I was using the trade value chart. Perhaps we can get it done with a 3rd. But actually I like the players available with this trade

I was using the trade value chart. Perhaps we can get it done with a 3rd. But actually I like the players available with this trade

Then trade down from 60 for value. :)

Okay, based on the 2-8-11 NFLDraftScout re-rankings, here's another effort with jest a coupla leetle trades............

Trade (down): #17 (950) > KC for #21 (800) + #86 (160)

Trade (down): #21 (800) + #184 (19) > ATL for #27 (680) + #91 (136) + #218 (5)

#27 = Cameron Heyward
#28 = Gabe Carimi

Trade (down): #33 (580) > TEN for #49 (410) + 2012 2nd

#49 = Wilkerson

Trade (down): #60 (300) > BUF for #68 (250) + #121 (52)

#68 = Brooks Reed, OLB
#74 = Ahmad Black, CB

Trade (down): #86 (160) + #91 (136) > SF for #114 (66) + 2012 2nd

#92 = KJ Wright, OLB
#114 = James Carpenter, OG/T
#121 = Bilal Powell

Trade (down): #124 (48) > TB for #132 (40) + #211 (8)

#132 = John Moffitt, OG/C

Trade (down): #156 (30) > BAL for #186 (18) + #212 (7.6) + #217 (5.6)

#186 = David Carter, DE

Trade (UP): #211 (8) + #212 (7.6) > DEN for #194 (14.8)

#194 = Justin Rogers, CB
#217 = Alex Green, RB
#218 = Lester Jean, WR
7th Round COMP (Watson - Crumpler) = Richard Sherman, FS

Last year:

Kinda depends on how nice the Texans are - or how desperate they are to get out of the #11 spot. Based on the differences in those Denver trades (-32 and -15), we might move up to the #11 for the #17, 74 and 124.

Miami, though, by throwing in the #110 and #173, screwed themselves by nearly 100 points - roughly the equivalent of a very early 4th rounder. Have I mentioned lately that Miami is one of two NFL franchises that has been operating in the red for the past couple years?

Okay, based on the 2-8-11 NFLDraftScout re-rankings, here's another effort with jest a coupla leetle trades............

Trade (down): #17 (950) > KC for #21 (800) + #86 (160)

Trade (down): #21 (800) + #184 (19) > ATL for #27 (680) + #91 (136) + #218 (5)

#27 = Cameron Heyward
#28 = Gabe Carimi

Trade (down): #33 (580) > TEN for #49 (410) + 2012 2nd

#49 = Wilkerson

Trade (down): #60 (300) > BUF for #68 (250) + #121 (52)

#68 = Brooks Reed, OLB
#74 = Ahmad Black, CB

Trade (down): #86 (160) + #91 (136) > SF for #114 (66) + 2012 2nd

#92 = KJ Wright, OLB
#114 = James Carpenter, OG/T
#121 = Bilal Powell

Trade (down): #124 (48) > TB for #132 (40) + #211 (8)

#132 = John Moffitt, OG/C

Trade (down): #156 (30) > BAL for #186 (18) + #212 (7.6) + #217 (5.6)

#186 = David Carter, DE

Trade (UP): #211 (8) + #212 (7.6) > DEN for #194 (14.8)

#194 = Justin Rogers, CB
#217 = Alex Green, RB
#218 = Lester Jean, WR
7th Round COMP (Watson - Crumpler) = Richard Sherman, FS

I missed this. Good job.

Last edited:
17 - Kerrigan OLB
28 - Houston OLB
33 - Pouncey -OG
60 - Titus Young -WR
74 - Dowling -CB
92 - O'Dowd -C
123 - Romeus - DE
156 - McElroy - QB
184 - Justin Rogers - CB

With Trades:
Trade 17 & 74 for 13
Trade 60 & 184 for 57

13 - Cameron Jordan - DE
28 - Houston - OLB
33 - Pouncey - OG
57 - Wisniewski - C
92 - Jarrett - FS
123 - Pettis - WR
156 - Marcus Gilbert - OT

Updated:

1/17 - I still struggle with this pick. Right now, I'd favor Kerrigan over Watt, Sherrod, or Clayborn, but there's enough about Kerrigan's game which makes me think this is too high. I'm going the blockbuster route, going off the hairbrained idea that there will be a CBA, or at least rules allowing trading players, by the draft:

***Trade*** the Patriots sign Logan Mankins and trade him to the Arizona Cardinals, along with Darius Butler and the #17 pick for Larry Fitzgerald, LB Brandon Sharpe, and the #38 pick. It's a swap of high salary of guys each club is unlikely to re-sign. Fitzgerald comes to a winner for the prime of his career, and Whisenhunt and Grimm certainly see the value of a mauling guard like Mankins. Which means we have holes in the interior line. Stay tuned.

1/28 - Justin Houston LB Georgia. I think at this point of the draft Houston is a good value. He's played a year at OLB, so he has that under his belt, yet a lot of upside. He'll be spotted in September, but he should be able to learn and improve every week. I originally wanted Carimi here, whom I like, but is he really first-round talent, or just seems that way in a poor year for OTs?

2/33 - Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple. Again, I don't know if he'll be here, but if so he's a must-have.

2/38 - Danny Watkins G Baylor. Here's the start of the interior overhaul. He should be able to step in at left guard quickly, and has tackle flexibility also.

2/60 - Johnny Patrick CB Louisville. I like this kid. He's got coverage ability in any scheme and can return kicks.

3/74 - Delone Carter RB Syracuse. He's a do-it-all kind of back that seems to be undervalued right now. Mr. Ohio in HS, which is probably a bit more difficult than being named Mr. Vermont.

3/92 - Kris O'Dowd C USC. Addresses a soon-to-be position of need. Good work ethic. Improved strength at C position. Seems to have the "Patriot" make-up.

4/123 - Clint Boling G Georgia. Will he be here on draft day? Who knows, but he's here now. Despite all the "professional" mockers projecting many interior offensive linemen in the first two rounds, historically that's not what happens.

5/156 - Jermale Hines S OSU. Solid all-round player from great program.

6/184 - Cedric Thornton DE Southern Arkansas. A small-school project that could develop into a starting DE.

Comp/Free agent types: Julius Thomas TE Portland St, Schuylar Oordt TE Northern Iowa, Da'Norris Searcy S North Carolina, Chris Culliver S South Carolina, Ryan Winterswyk LB Boise St, Aldrick Robinson WR SMU, Nic Grigsby RB Arizona, Nathan Enderle QB Idaho, Justin Roper QB Montana, Kyle Havens QB UMass

Last edited:
trying again

17 - ryan kerrigan OLB
28 - muhammed wilkerson DE
33 - mikel leshoure RB
60 - danny watkins OG
74 - jason pinkston OT......I just think he will fall this far
92 - brooks reed - OLB
123 - lawrence guy - DE
156 - KJ wright - OLB
184 - frantz placide - S

Updated:

1/17 - I still struggle with this pick. Right now, I'd favor Kerrigan over Watt, Sherrod, or Clayborn, but there's enough about Kerrigan's game which makes me think this is too high. I'm going the blockbuster route, going off the hairbrained idea that there will be a CBA, or at least rules allowing trading players, by the draft:

***Trade*** the Patriots sign Logan Mankins and trade him to the Arizona Cardinals, along with Darius Butler and the #17 pick for Larry Fitzgerald, LB Brandon Sharpe, and the #38 pick. It's a swap of high salary of guys each club is unlikely to re-sign. Fitzgerald comes to a winner for the prime of his career, and Whisenhunt and Grimm certainly see the value of a mauling guard like Mankins. Which means we have holes in the interior line. Stay tuned.

1/28 - Justin Houston LB Georgia. I think at this point of the draft Houston is a good value. He's played a year at OLB, so he has that under his belt, yet a lot of upside. He'll be spotted in September, but he should be able to learn and improve every week. I originally wanted Carimi here, whom I like, but is he really first-round talent, or just seems that way in a poor year for OTs?

2/33 - Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple. Again, I don't know if he'll be here, but if so he's a must-have.

2/38 - Danny Watkins G Baylor. Here's the start of the interior overhaul. He should be able to step in at left guard quickly, and has tackle flexibility also.

2/60 - Johnny Patrick CB Louisville. I like this kid. He's got coverage ability in any scheme and can return kicks.

3/74 - Delone Carter RB Syracuse. He's a do-it-all kind of back that seems to be undervalued right now. Mr. Ohio in HS, which is probably a bit more difficult than being named Mr. Vermont.

3/92 - Kris O'Dowd C USC. Addresses a soon-to-be position of need. Good work ethic. Improved strength at C position. Seems to have the "Patriot" make-up.

4/123 - Clint Boling G Georgia. Will he be here on draft day? Who knows, but he's here now. Despite all the "professional" mockers projecting many interior offensive linemen in the first two rounds, historically that's not what happens.

5/156 - Jermale Hines S OSU. Solid all-round player from great program.

6/184 - Cedric Thornton DE Southern Arkansas. A small-school project that could develop into a starting DE.

Comp/Free agent types: Julius Thomas TE Portland St, Schuylar Oordt TE Northern Iowa, Da'Norris Searcy S North Carolina, Chris Culliver S South Carolina, Ryan Winterswyk LB Boise St, Aldrick Robinson WR SMU, Nic Grigsby RB Arizona, Nathan Enderle QB Idaho, Justin Roper QB Montana, Kyle Havens QB UMass

If only the Cards would go along with that, it would be nice.

And would the Patriots want to give Larry the type of long term contract that he wants?

Last edited:
Here it goes, I know this is crazy and it won't happen but it is within the framework of the "game" here, and as always....I'm drunk.

Series of trades to move "up" all crazy style:
123, 156, 184 for 101
92, 101 for 72
72, 74 for 45
45, 60 for 24

17- A. Castano OT

24- JJ. Watt DE

28- A. Ayers OLB or J. Houston OLB

33- M. Pouncey OG

I totally understand paying these blokes may be a problem, but quality not quantity with the team that we already have, meh.

Can we do a new round of this I believe the player rankings updated today?

Can we do a new round of this I believe the player rankings updated today?

CBS/NFLDraftScout rankings are now updated with Combine hgts/wgts, test reulsts, etc.

Drafttek has updated rankings, but not hgts/wgts.

Not sure that NFP has updated anything at all yet.

I hate this time of year, we go from expert to idiot as soon as we record our picks. The finality of this event is brutal.

Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Marvin Austin, North Carolina
Orlando Franklin, Miami
Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
John Moffit, Nebraska
Anthony Sherman, Connecticut
Andre Holmes, Hillsdale
Chris Carter, Fresno
Buster Skrine, Tennessee-Chattanooga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back