PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you hope the Patriots trade Garoppolo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you hope the Patriots trade Garoppolo?

• Yes, before this year's trade deadline

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Yes, but wait until the 2017 offseason

Votes: 51 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 77 56.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but with the qualifier that Pats brass feel confident that Brissett is the heir apparent.

This off season will be the point in which we know the QB future of the Patriots.

If Jimmy G is on the 2017 roster, that will be Brady's final season with the team. Only one of them will be on the team in 2018.

Brady's contract makes him untradable he next 2 seasons. He will be the QB next year period.

If they are going to trade JG, it has to be before next season. No way BB pays 2 QB's #1 money, even for a season

A guess at what the potential trade would be:

Jimmy Garoppolo to Chicago for 2017 1st and 2018 3rd. That first round pick would be somewhere between pick 6-15.

Reasons for Bears:

-They have a loser/mediocre QB in Cutler. He can be cut for 14 million in cap savings.
-They have pieces on offense and defense. Jimmy G would have Jeffery and 3rd year White.
-More than a fair price to pay for a franchise QB.

Reasons for Pats:

-Mid-first round pick
-NFC team
-Jimmy G wouldn't be going to a dumpster fire.

This off season will be the point in which we know the QB future of the Patriots.

If Jimmy G is on the 2017 roster, that will be Brady's final season with the team. Only one of them will be on the team in 2018.

Brady's contract makes him untradable he next 2 seasons. He will be the QB next year period.

If they are going to trade JG, it has to be before next season. No way BB pays 2 QB's #1 money, even for a season

At the end of the 2017 season BB will look at his QB situation. He will then pay for expected future production. Just remember, BB does not pay tomorrow, for yesterdays performance.

A guess at what the potential trade would be:

Jimmy Garoppolo to Chicago for 2017 1st and 2018 3rd. That first round pick would be somewhere between pick 6-15.

Reasons for Bears:

-They have a loser/mediocre QB in Cutler. He can be cut for 14 million in cap savings.
-They have pieces on offense and defense. Jimmy G would have Jeffery and 3rd year White.
-More than a fair price to pay for a franchise QB.

Reasons for Pats:

-Mid-first round pick
-NFC team
-Jimmy G wouldn't be going to a dumpster fire.

If Jimmy G is truly a franchise QB, then the Pats are getting absolutely fleeced in this trade. I would need a much bigger return than this to part with Jimmy.

If Brady plays like his normal self this year, I would trade Jimmy. A hard decision will have to be made if Brady's plays starts to decline. I am glad BB makes the big bucks.

Deleted.

So what the hell is wrong with paying two good QBs for a year? You paid big money to have Revis for a year. We have a First to pick a BIG LOT next draft, to groom at ROT, behind Vollmer. Cassel's price went down to a Second Rounder, to find a home for a star OLB, who was no longer worth his high contract. There are still die hard "Ballmer" fans who say Unitas can still do it.
First Castle's price went down to #33, not just a generic 2nd rounder. Plus the Pats were hamstrung by the fact their trading window between the day the season ended and when he became a FA was about 15 days. THAT is why the need to make the deal after THIS season. They can comfortably wait until the day of the draft to make a deal, and if they don't like what they hear, they have the option to simply say no, and they'll have another year to get what they want.

The down side of keeping JG for the 2017 season is when they go to trade him after that season they will have lost some leverage because every team will know that if they wait a few weeks he'll be a FA.

Yeah I do. I believe in Brady's lifestyle to keep himself healthy. I believe he can play until he's 45(maybe more)
You might be right. I also believe that, if he chooses, BB will be able to coach into his 70s. As with Brady, I see absolutely no signs that BB has lost his desire or ability to "do his job", to coin a popular phrase. In fact, I think it's more likely Bill will have the requisite skills to do his job well at 70 than Brady will to do his at 45. But, that's just my opinion.

Rover, my man, you forgot the part where BB said he didn't want to coach that long like Marv did.;)

Marc coached to 72. So maybe... 71? LOL

I am not worried about tommy this year. I am worried about next year. When quarterbacks hit 40 it hasn't been successful unless you're brett favre

If Jimmy G is truly a franchise QB, then the Pats are getting absolutely fleeced in this trade. I would need a much bigger return than this to part with Jimmy.

I agree. This situation will be tough. The two QB fantasy past 2017 isn't going to happen. A 22 million dollar franchise QB as a backup to Brady just doesn't seem feasible.

If we don't trade Jimmy G, you have to be willing to part with Brady after 2017. There is little chance he retires if he is still playing at an elite level. He may be the greatest NFL competitor ever.

NFL Draft Prospects

The 2017 draft is loaded. Players like McCaffrey, Allen, and Tabor would likely be perennial pro bowlers with us. If Brady can play until 43+ then the trade makes sense.

I agree. This situation will be tough. The two QB fantasy past 2017 isn't going to happen. A 22 million dollar franchise QB as a backup to Brady just doesn't seem feasible.

If we don't trade Jimmy G, you have to be willing to part with Brady after 2017. There is little chance he retires if he is still playing at an elite level. He may be the greatest NFL competitor ever.

NFL Draft Prospects

The 2017 draft is loaded. Players like McCaffrey, Allen, and Tabor would likely be perennial pro bowlers with us. If Brady can play until 43+ then the trade makes sense.

Jabrill Peppers. Someone on the draft board called him the DB version of Jamie Collins. Could be our Ed Reed, or everything that Brandon Meriwether was supposed to be. And he returns kickoffs and punts - and does it well.

Regardless, the 2017 first round looks loaded this year - could be the best class since 2011. This would be an awesome year to have multiple first rounders, especially with one a high one.

I want Garoppolo to succeed as much as anyone, but Brady has talked about playing for another 5+ years. I don't see how we could pay a backup enough to stay here -- he deserves a shot at a big payday.

It all depends on the trade offer. I think the Pats could get anywhere up to what the Rams got for RGIII (three firsts and a second) although not likely. I think based on Sam Bradford's trade value, the Pats should get two ones.

I can see Cleveland overspending for him depending on how the QB draft prospects look this year. Which means the Pats could get the first overall pick in 2017 (since Cleveland has no QB and a lousy team) for Garoppolo and possibly a high first in 2018. Belichick could turn that into a bonanza of picks setting up this team for at least five or six years.

Imagine at the end of the day, that Belichick ends up trading Garoppolo for three or four firsts and several day two picks after some wheeling and dealing. Would you give that up or would you gamble on the limited sample size of Garoppolo that he is an elite QB? I would take the picks myself.

Belichick knows far more about Garoppolo than any of us do. I am still concerned about him when teams start to play more physical with the receivers and knock them off their timing routes. Will Garoppolo's propensity to hold onto the ball too long pop up? Is he going to be injury prone because of it?

There are a ton of unanswered questions about him still.

First Castle's price went down to #33, not just a generic 2nd rounder. Plus the Pats were hamstrung by the fact their trading window between the day the season ended and when he became a FA was about 15 days. THAT is why the need to make the deal after THIS season. They can comfortably wait until the day of the draft to make a deal, and if they don't like what they hear, they have the option to simply say no, and they'll have another year to get what they want.

The down side of keeping JG for the 2017 season is when they go to trade him after that season they will have lost some leverage because every team will know that if they wait a few weeks he'll be a FA.

McDaniels said that he was ready to offer a first round for Matt Cassel, but Belichick traded him too fast. Belichick needed to get his franchise tag number off the books.

Besides, we see that these trades are the matter of the times. When Cassel was traded, the trade value for QBs was down. Now after the trades up to draft QB prospects have done for multiple high first and second day picks and Sam Bradford was traded twice in two years for a first rounder and something else of value, the trade value for a QB is far higher than it was in 2008. In today's NFL, Cassel would have easily got a first rounder and probably a second pick in a trade.

I am existing in the present or was, just enjoying JAG's excellent adventure.
I don't like thinking about players I like leaving. Period.
I'm not the GM, just a fan.

I remember bozos here saying 2 firsts for Matty C, and then not having learned, a high #1 for Mallet.

I'd trade at the end of the season to the Browns for

Joe Thomas
Josh Gordon
Cleveland's first
Cleveland's 2nd

If no Thomas then they can add another first rounder to get a decent OL player in the draft

I want Garoppolo to succeed as much as anyone, but Brady has talked about playing for another 5+ years. I don't see how we could pay a backup enough to stay here -- he deserves a shot at a big payday.

Yes but how effective will tommy be in his 40s? We don't know that. His arm could be weaker and how will he take hits to his 40 yes old body. It take's a told on you.

McDaniels said that he was ready to offer a first round for Matt Cassel, but Belichick traded him too fast. Belichick needed to get his franchise tag number off the books.

Besides, we see that these trades are the matter of the times. When Cassel was traded, the trade value for QBs was down. Now after the trades up to draft QB prospects have done for multiple high first and second day picks and Sam Bradford was traded twice in two years for a first rounder and something else of value, the trade value for a QB is far higher than it was in 2008. In today's NFL, Cassel would have easily got a first rounder and probably a second pick in a trade.

Jimmy G's far better then matt cassel. I know it's just two starts but he has good field vision. Better arm as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back