PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you hope the Patriots trade Garoppolo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you hope the Patriots trade Garoppolo?

• Yes, before this year's trade deadline

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Yes, but wait until the 2017 offseason

Votes: 51 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 77 56.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't see where people think that Garapolo staying is even possible, based on the dead cap numbers Brady carries for the next 2 years.

I also don't see how people are ascribing "top 5 elite QB" potential based on just 5 quarters of football. Think about it. Do we know how this kid will respond the game after he throws 4 picks, or how he'll respond to being banged up, or how he responds when he runs into a defense he has trouble with. We don't. Not even close.

We do know that he's pretty good in the short run, and that is what makes him a great asset to deal in the future. It's not fair, nor is it ideal, but the logistics of the Brady/JG dynamic just makes it inevitable, The fact is that JG's contract will run out BEFORE Brady's skills will diminish to the point where JG would be the better QB. It's just THAT simple.

we are on the outside looking in. The Pats coaches see him every day and have a better feel for what makes him tick and what he brings day in and day out.

I just don't want to be in the situation where everything's going great and then all of a sudden, Brady's decline all of a sudden, just happens. It's like getting ambushed by Father Time.

Our hearts are telling us one thing but we got to make the best long term decision. That's IF, the Pats coaches are sold on him from what they've seen day in and day out.

we are on the outside looking in. The Pats coaches see him every day and have a better feel for what makes him tick and what he brings day in and day out.

I just don't want to be in the situation where everything's going great and then all of a sudden, Brady's decline all of a sudden, just happens. It's like getting ambushed by Father Time.

Our hearts are telling us one thing but we got to make the best long term decision. That's IF, the Pats coaches are sold on him from what they've seen day in and day out.

In Bill I trust, but not in you :)

Brady could "gently decline" or "fall off a cliff," whatevs, but he's in terrific shape... So your father time ambush isn't a matter of "better to be a year early than a year late," at this writing.

If Bill rolls those dice - and I don't seem him doing that, barring something unforeseen - I'm right there with him. I just don't see it happening. This is a fiercely competitive guy who still has the physical tools and works like hell to assure that he will have them.

On the other hand, is there any guarantee that he'll continue to be motivated to prove his case on the field? Oh that's right...

http://wallpapercave.com/wp/AXBJdYd.jpg

I'm actually pissed that Jimmy is being traded. He has the makings of an elite quarterback, and after spending three seasons preparing him and training him for the NFL, it's crazy that some other team will reap all the benefits.

Getting a franchise QB is hard and it often takes time before they attain their elite status. The fact we might be trading one to another team, especially when our guy is going approaching 40, strikes me as sorta flawed.

Last edited:
This team is talented enough to win the SB the next two seasons. The only thing that could really derail this is if TB goes down with an injury, and JG is not there to back up.

I'd rather we kept him and got zilcho, nothing in return next year, as long as we had a QB to backup TB and take us to the SB for a W. What other compensation from a trade could we say is really worth that?

Considering the options after next year are to let Brady go, trade Garoppolo or lose him for nothing, I say let’s trade him and get something. Patriots cannot keep both QB’s after next year. They are not going to franchise Garoppolo with the intent to actually keep him (they may franchise him with the intent to trade, but either he or Brady is gone after 2017).

So barring any unforeseen circumstances, I say trade him. I think the people hoping for 2 1st rounders need to come down to Earth a little though.

Why can't we all just talk about the best possibility. We win the next two SuperBowls. Brady Retires because he simply has nothing left to prove. Jimmy takes over with our still stacked team, and we continue to be Super Bowl contenders under Jimmy and BB for at least 7+ years.

Why can't we all just talk about the best possibility. We win the next two SuperBowls. Brady Retires because he simply has nothing left to prove.
You're obviously not terribly familiar with Tom Brady's public statements on the matter of retirement.

It blows my mind how eager some people in this forum are to show the greatest QB of all time the door.

I actually liked what I saw out of JB. I'm ok with trading JG for the smorgasbord of picks that some team will pay. I think JG has a crappy injury history anyway :).

Seriously though, I think too many good QB's never find their place in the league because OC's are more concearned with fitting the QB into their scheme than making the scheme play to the QB strengths. We see lots of QB's with all the right intangibles get their asses handed to them because either the scheme doesn't play to third strengths or no one has taught them how to effectively read a defense.

Then you have the rest that just aren't quite athletic/mentally fast enough to keep up with the pace of the league. But plenty of them good be good if put in the right position to succeed.

I still don't see where people think that Garapolo staying is even possible, based on the dead cap numbers Brady carries for the next 2 years.

I also don't see how people are ascribing "top 5 elite QB" potential based on just 5 quarters of football. Think about it. Do we know how this kid will respond the game after he throws 4 picks, or how he'll respond to being banged up, or how he responds when he runs into a defense he has trouble with. We don't. Not even close.

We do know that he's pretty good in the short run, and that is what makes him a great asset to deal in the future. It's not fair, nor is it ideal, but the logistics of the Brady/JG dynamic just makes it inevitable, The fact is that JG's contract will run out BEFORE Brady's skills will diminish to the point where JG would be the better QB. It's just THAT simple.

Agree completely, and I love the new PFK CLIFF NOTES app. I just downloaded it and bingo PFK in a hundred words or less.

The Patriots hold all the cards, they can trade him if another team (Cleveland?) wants to pay a high price for him, hang on to him through the 2017 season and franchise him and then trade him, as they once did with Cassel, or just let him play it out and see where they stand. The only thing that isn't happening is Brady being traded in the next two years, the cap hit is simply too high and the compensation is unlikely to be anywhere near worth it.

The Patriots hold all the cards, they can trade him if another team (Cleveland?) wants to pay a high price for him, hang on to him through the 2017 season and franchise him and then trade him, as they once did with Cassel, or just let him play it out and see where they stand. The only thing that isn't happening is Brady being traded in the next two years, the cap hit is simply too high and the compensation is unlikely to be anywhere near worth it.

Nailed it. For those who forgot and wondered about trading Brady, his base is 1 mill and signing bonus is 13 this year and next, then it goes up to 14 base / 7 signing bonus 1 roster bonus. Trade this year means 40 mill cap hit...they can defer at least one year but I'm not sure if they can roll that twice.

Economically, Brady is exponentially more tradeable after 2017. Even with the cap hit if 14 mill, if they can shift it one year to only be a 7 mill hit per year and/or backload Jimmy G's contract, it'd make more sense financially if JG seems to be the answer.

No reason to trade anyone until after 2017. If you plan on letting Jimmy go, tag and trade right before the 2018 draft.

@hovis @Ivan I agree with both of you...the problem is, the longer you hold onto Garoppolo, the lower his trade values becomes. If you trade him next off-season, you could conceivably obtain 2 first round picks...but if you keep him as insurance into 2017 and 2018, then you get less in return.

I think Jimmy's upside and potential, together w/ Tom's age, makes him worth keeping. But turning down the opportunity to fetch more draft capital, would be difficult to do for Belichick, the GM

Last edited:
@hovis @Ivan I agree with both of you...the problem is, the longer you hold onto Garoppolo, the lower his trade values becomes. If you trade him next off-season, you could conceivably obtain 2 first round picks...but if you keep him as insurance into 2017 and 2018, then you get less in return.

I think Jimmy's upside and potential, together w/ Tom's age, makes him worth keeping. But turning down the opportunity to fetch more draft capital, would be difficult to do for Belichick, the GM

I really think it will come down to the offers, they would move him for a high first or a first and third but if no one is willing to go there then they keep him and see how 2017 works out.Belichick is forward thinking but I don't see him moving on from Brady while he is still aVP candidate every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back