PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses have shut down Brady to Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy for you to say. You're watching the games and youk apparently understand what you are watching! Show some pity on us analysis solely by stats guys. Moss has 1 TD. THerefore he is not getting open.

Yes, indeed

And you're not watching the games?

It is ridiculous to say that Moss has 1 TD = he is not getting open.

i dont know if every one know's this but its not madden 2010 its the NFL

moss is not goting to be open for a 70 yerd TD every play

and the pats are only looking for him deep they need to throw some screens to him just get the ball in hes hand's let him make a play

It's all about Brady. Brady has missed plenty of opportunities to hit Moss deep for a huge gain and/or a TD. Once Brady is back to 100%, you will see Moss going nuts again.

See SB 42 and AFCCC 2007.

Weeks 11 and 12 when Philly and Baltimore unveiled the so-called blueprint as well as the entire playoffs (7 receptions for 94 yards and 1 TD). Something the Maroney bashers have developed mental blocks about, as well (61 carries, 240+ yds, 4.6 ave, 3TD's).

See SB 42 and AFCCC 2007.

See Moss's numbers in SB 42: 5 catches for 63 yds, 1 TD. prorated over a season, that's 80 catches, 1008 yds, and 16 TDs. Not too shabby. I might also add that Brady missed him on at least one deep ball in that game.

I'm sure you can point at isolated games where teams have taken away Moss by bracketing him. But, if you've been watching this year, he is getting open, and more often than not, Brady is missing him.

Weeks 11 and 12 when Philly and Baltimore unveiled the so-called blueprint as well as the entire playoffs (7 receptions for 94 yards and 1 TD). Something the Maroney bashers have developed mental blocks about, as well (61 carries, 240+ yds, 4.6 ave, 3TD's).

Cleveland was the first team to do this in 2007. I really think it is the best strategy when playing the Pats, but is that really shutting someone down - devoting two players on every play? I guess technically it is, but you have to take into account the opportunities that open up elsewhere.

See Moss's numbers in SB 42: 5 catches for 63 yds, 1 TD. prorated over a season, that's 80 catches, 1008 yds, and 16 TDs. Not too shabby. I might also add that Brady missed him on at least one deep ball in that game.

I'm sure you can point at isolated games where teams have taken away Moss by bracketing him. But, if you've been watching this year, he is getting open, and more often than not, Brady is missing him.

Point taken. Heck, this year he is on a pace for 96 catches, almost 1200 yds and well, 3.2 TDs...As Brady gets his sea legs and the team develops more of an identity offensively, those two should become much more of a productive TD connection no question.

However, I guess to be more specfic without trying to be a smarty-pants, with a wicked pass rush, lousy weather and roll-over help in coverage, Moss can be contained....

Cleveland was the first team to do this in 2007. I really think it is the best strategy when playing the Pats, but is that really shutting someone down - devoting two players on every play? I guess technically it is, but you have to take into account the opportunities that open up elsewhere.

It should in theory but theory is like teams on paper... Welker being out and a little rusty too hasn't helped. Like Brady says they have found ways in spurts, but nothing consistent. That's the problem. And Moss isn't doubled, he's been shut down by single man with some safety help but not always. And he's missed some catches, too. As had Welker, who also tried to do too much last week rather than playing situational football (getting the critical 3rd down vs. going for the homerun). Brady's had more balls dropped thus far this season and more routes run incorrectly or adjustments not made correctly than he's sailed balls...

Moss hasn't lost a step. Moss is still the best receiver in football by a mile. Did you see how badly he outran Denver's D on that long 40 yd "should have been TD" play? I believe Moss has caught 10 balls in a gm on two occasions this year-- he's a stud and without him this team is 0-5. The problem with this team is not Moss--it's Galloway, it's O-Brien, it's Pees.

Moss hasn't lost a step. Moss is still the best receiver in football by a mile. Did you see how badly he outran Denver's D on that long 40 yd "should have been TD" play? I believe Moss has caught 10 balls in a gm on two occasions this year-- he's a stud and without him this team is 0-5. The problem with this team is not Moss--it's Galloway, it's O-Brien, it's Pees.

Gotta cut a slice out of the "blame pie" for Brady too. He'll come around, but hes missed Moss on a number of throws that would have resulted in 1st downs and TDs...

Last edited:
when teams r playin us zone we need to motion over to the trips side and where we have the numbers blockin and hit more quick bubble screens to welker like last year..this year i have noticed we throw the bubble to a two receiver side alot and dont have the extra blocker..

It is insulting to our opponents to think we can have 2007 all over again.

I think we fans forget just how difficult Football is. Brady has to get used to the speed of the game, the threat of injury on every play, the different looks and so on.

2007 worked, in part, because the offence was something new to D co-ordinators. Bear in mind that they have now had two years to analyse the offence and find ways to shut things down (to an extent). They are highly intelligent people who will find a way to undo something done by someone else. It's like an arms race and you have to hope we have one of the best engineers (which I think we do).

I suspect that things will improve as the season goes on, though. Things like the Welker non-catch (Brady has admitted that they saw different things on that play) will improve, as they react in the same way to what they see in front of them. Also, at some point, Moss will get open at the same time that Brady throws the perfect ball to him.

Your assessment that Moss is the best receiver is beyond being a homer...its a foolish comment

I would take Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson far ahead of Moss who IMO is
3rd best - Moss is closer as a top line receiver to guys like Reggie Wayne or Steve Smith as a receiving threat than to be near Fitz or Andre's level.

Moss is still a top 5 receiver but I don't put him anywhere near the very best right now.

Last edited:
Your assessment that Moss is the best receiver is beyond being a homer...its a foolish comment

3rd best - Moss is closer as a top line receiver to guys like Reggie Wayne or Steve Smith as a receiving threat than to be near Fitz or Andre's level.

Moss is still a top 5 receiver but I don't put him anywhere near the very best right now.

Yep LF is the best.

Brady has shut down Brady to Moss. ARe you kidding me? He overthrows him by 10 yards EVERY PLAY.

Yep LF is the best.

I disagree. Brady hits Moss on any number of plays where he was open this year and everyone would think Moss was still the best. I've been yelling at the tv all season "Moss is open" and the few times Brady does throw that way he sails it well past Moss (and a couple times well out of the field of play.)

I think Brady will eventually return to form and people will be talking about how awesome Moss is at that point again.

-Rob-

I'm a little bit worried Moss has lost a step, to be honest. He's being pretty solidly covered by cornerbacks who aren't even the team's #1 these days. He was pretty much bullied by Revis and Bailey.

On the other hand, they've had plenty of opportunities this year to score on the long ball and Brady has simply overthrown him. Those incompletions didn't have much to do with opposing defenses. If those passes connect, are we still talking about this?

He has been bullied by Revis and Bailey. But Revis and Bailey are top 3 corners in this league.

As for Brady and Moss - defenses haven't shut them down, Brady has. (temporarily) Once Brady can learn to stop over throwing Moss they will be one of the leagues most dangerous threats once again.

I agree that Moss isn't the best, but it's far from ridiculous to claim that he is. A very legit case can be made for him based on the last 2 years of production. Personally, I think Andre Johnson is the best, and Fitzgerald and Moss are behind him. As much as I dislike the guy, Brandon Marshall is probably next after them IMO.

Last edited:
This team will get its Brady to Moss groove back as the season rolls on. As Brady rolls, the team will do so. Brady is playin unbelievable for a guy coming off a knee injury. But the reality is for Brady to make this offense go like it used to.

Yep LF is the best.

I don't agree with this. I think Moss is the game's best receiver, and I think that only Calvin Johnson is even in his class. However, opinions will obviously vary.

Having said that, it really doesn't matter right now. Teams are defending Brady more than defending Moss. Because Brady can't hit the long pass with accuracy, teams can afford to defend Moss with just one DB and some rolling help, since Brady can't risk the interceptions that his lessened accuracy might cause. When Brady finds his accuracy, that rolling help will have to become much more like a double team, and that will open up the field. Of course, the team could have lessened the lag time on this by having Brady & company (especially Galloway) play a lot more during the regular season to get everyone on the same page and get Brady's mechanics under fire looking better, but that's water under the bridge. So, other than complaining about it every once in a while, there's really nothing more to be done about it except to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case