PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses have shut down Brady to Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy for you to say. You're watching the games and youk apparently understand what you are watching! Show some pity on us analysis solely by stats guys. Moss has 1 TD. THerefore he is not getting open.

Yes, indeed

I believe in stats, but I also believe in the eye test. Stats don't tell the whole story. Could Moss be playing better? Absolutely. Is it 100% his fault that he only has 1 TD? Absolutely not.
And I notice you didn't respond to the part where I pointed out that Moss is still a top 10 WR (30 catches, 367 yards, both 7th overall).
Has it ever occurred to ANY Pats fans that this might be the norm? Moss isn't going to catch 23 TDs every year people. Say Brady hits a wideopen Moss in the end zone two more times in these first 5 games. That puts him at 32/370/3 TD (yardage would change more probably, but just for the sake of argument). That would put him on pace for 102 catches, 1184 yards, 9.5 TDs. Is that still "shutting down Brady to Moss?" No. Yes, it's shutting them down compared to 23 TDs, but you have to be an idiot to consider the 23 TD year anything but an aberration.

I disagree with the OP.

07 playoffs:

VS Jags: they played deep zone and doubled Randy. Brady was content hitting all the underneath passes.

VS Chargers: Brady was off that day throwing several picks. Maroney carried us that day.

VS Giants: Moss was open twice deep. First time right before halftime and Brady held on to the ball a little too late, got stripped sack. Moss beat a double team deep on our final drive and Brady underthrew him. Moss was open this game, but Brady never had time. The Giants DL on this game could have shut down Montana to Rice they were so dominant.

08: Pollard

09: Brady has shut down Brady to Moss.

I think Andre Johnson is the best Receiver in the League. And then it is Moss followed by Fitz.

That guy is the complete package. I don't think Fitz does what others do, you don't see him downfield blocking, whereas you do see Moss doing it more now than he used to.

But, that's off the subject of the thread.

If Brady hits 3 of the deep, open passes he has missed to Moss, he would have 33 receptions, 400 yards, 4 TDs. And to say Brady hits 3 of the 6 deep bombs isn't a stretch of the imagination.

And then, no-one would be complaining about Brady to Moss as much as we are.

This one is on Brady, not the D.

I believe in stats, but I also believe in the eye test. Stats don't tell the whole story. Could Moss be playing better? Absolutely. Is it 100% his fault that he only has 1 TD? Absolutely not.
And I notice you didn't respond to the part where I pointed out that Moss is still a top 10 WR (30 catches, 367 yards, both 7th overall).
Has it ever occurred to ANY Pats fans that this might be the norm? Moss isn't going to catch 23 TDs every year people. Say Brady hits a wideopen Moss in the end zone two more times in these first 5 games. That puts him at 32/370/3 TD (yardage would change more probably, but just for the sake of argument). That would put him on pace for 102 catches, 1184 yards, 9.5 TDs. Is that still "shutting down Brady to Moss?" No. Yes, it's shutting them down compared to 23 TDs, but you have to be an idiot to consider the 23 TD year anything but an aberration.

Would he not be over 400 yards receiving at that point?

According to ESPN:

Moss is the 2nd most targetted receiver in the league with 49 passes thrown his way.

3 less than Andre Johnson who leads the league with 52 passes thrown his way.

Shows that the connection is down with 30/49 completed.

Last edited:
I think Andre Johnson is the best Receiver in the League. And then it is Moss followed by Fitz.

That guy is the complete package. I don't think Fitz does what others do, you don't see him downfield blocking, whereas you do see Moss doing it more now than he used to.

But, that's off the subject of the thread.

If Brady hits 3 of the deep, open passes he has missed to Moss, he would have 33 receptions, 400 yards, 4 TDs. And to say Brady hits 3 of the 6 deep bombs isn't a stretch of the imagination.

And then, no-one would be complaining about Brady to Moss as much as we are.

This one is on Brady, not the D.

I totally agree. Brady isn't throwing into double coverage anymore because he and Moss both know that the accuracy isn't there. That would almost guarantee interceptions.

So, Brady has to wait for wide open receivers before he's comfortable, and even then, he's been off target, but at least it goes for an incompletion.

At some point, he'll sort it out, have a really good week of practice with Moss, and have the confidence to light it up on Sunday.

Then we can all go back to dumping on the crappy running game by committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case