PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Will Smith signed by Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate it when people make these types of lists, as if we're stacked at DLine.

Armstead didn't play 1 snap last year. Not even in pre-season. We've yet to even see him in a Pats jersey.

Siliga only played 5 games for us last year. I wouldn't point to him as the future of our DLine just yet.

Vellano might not even make the team this year.

Forston...? On again off again practice squad player.

Bequette might not make the team this year either (depending on our draft). TC will be make it or break it for him.

We need young DT's that will stick with the team and can actually make a difference.

The Pats are stacked at DL with young JAGS.

Chandler Jones- 24
Michael Bucannon- 23
Armond Armstead- 23
Chris Jones- 23
Sealver Siliga- 24

And there is still the draft

Calm down on whining about them getting young on the DL.

Chandler Jones is the only player on that homers list that will hopefully be around for the foreseeable future.

Bucannon and Siligia showed flashes. Jones is undersized. Armstead is a ghost.

Quit hyping up the Pats DLs as if theyre going to be the starters of the future.

Last edited:
Yeah, he popped his ACL before ever playing a meaningful down in the 3-4, and he'd have to come back and attempt it at age 33 and coming off a completely missed season and the ACL. Like I said, his situation was tailor made for a cut.

Smith brings 3 - 4 class room experience to NE. Had NO wanted to keep Smith, this would have been his 2nd 3 - 4 camp. Instead, his 2nd 3 - 4 camp will be in NE.

Smith brings 3 - 4 class room experience to NE. Had NO wanted to keep Smith, this would have been his 2nd 3 - 4 camp. Instead, his 2nd 3 - 4 camp will be in NE.
Considering we do not play a 34 and there is absolutely zero chance of him being a 34 OLB here, I don't understand your point.

You keep responding to my posts as if you're making some point.

You're not. Smith has not played a meaningful snap in the 3-4. He's an older player. He was scheduled to make a lot of money. He's coming off of an ACL injury and missed an entire season. Nothing you're posting in response to that changes the fact that the above made him a perfect candidate for getting cut, whether he's got anything left in the tank or not.

Considering we do not play a 34 and there is absolutely zero chance of him being a 34 OLB here, I don't understand your point.

I think he means hes played DE in a 3-4 defense before? I dont think he meant OLB but I could be wrong.

You keep responding to my posts as if you're making some point.

You're not. Smith has not played a meaningful snap in the 3-4. He's an older player. He was scheduled to make a lot of money. He's coming off of an ACL injury and missed an entire season. Nothing you're posting in response to that changes the fact that the above made him a perfect candidate for getting cut, whether he's got anything left in the tank or not.

I dont know what you mean when you say "not a meaningful snap" any experience is good experience.

DE Will Smith deal w/ Patriots: 1-year, $855k base, $15k offseason bonus, $50k roster bonus, $570k salary cap charge (min salary benefit).

Per Mike Reiss

The fact that no one was willing to give him more (in theory) has lowered my expectations for him this season. Still a good signing IMO, no risk.

We have our corps of experienced players in Ninkovich, Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, and Smith. We have backups and potential replacements in Siliga, C Jones, Armstead, and Buchanan. All except Armstead played roles last year. That is 9 defensive linemen. We usually carry 9. In addition, we have Practice Squad quality players in Forston, Vellano, and Bequette.

My reaction was to the poster who look at WIlfork, Kelly and Smith and concluded that the DL was old and over the hill. I don't see it that way. We have a good mix of youth and experience.

I suspect that Belichick has hopes for all the young players listed. Posters seem to think that it is a done deal to cut 4-5 of Belichick's chosen and bring in rookies to replace them.

I expect us to draft a defensive lineman in the first 2 rounds, and perhaps after the 4th. However, I don't see the dire need that others do. I also suspect that there are better uses for late picks that might make the roster or Practice Squad (WR and TE sort of stand out).

I see the DIRE need at LB. We celebrated having Will Smith to come off the bench at DE. Who is our 4th LB? Who is our 5th LB? Both got lots and lots of reps last year. Of course, in 2012, that backup was Ninkovich moving over from DE. That won't happen now.

I see a serious need at RB where we have only 3 and no competition, and all in the last year of their contracts (we might even upgrade our FB. I also see a serious need at OG or even OG/OT where Connolly and Cannon are in their contract years with no replacement in sight. Most would add center, where we have Wendell, Connolly, Cave, Barker and perhaps Kline. And yes, I see a serious need at TE, although this could change at any time with the signing of Keller and the rumor that Belichick
sees Williams and Harrison as potential future contributors at the position. And then, we have the obvious need at SS, unless folks are expecting Ryan or Arrington to move over and be ready to start. BTW, if that happens, we would be a bit thin at CB to start the year.

Hate it when people make these types of lists, as if we're stacked at DLine.

Armstead didn't play 1 snap last year. Not even in pre-season. We've yet to even see him in a Pats jersey.

Siliga only played 5 games for us last year. I wouldn't point to him as the future of our DLine just yet.

Vellano might not even make the team this year.

Forston...? On again off again practice squad player.

Bequette might not make the team this year either (depending on our draft). TC will be make it or break it for him.

We need young DT's that will stick with the team and can actually make a difference.

‏@MikeReiss
DE Will Smith deal w/ Patriots: 1-year, $855k base, $15k offseason bonus, $50k roster bonus, $570k salary cap charge (min salary benefit).

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/463696830120095744

Contract seems to confirm that this is low risk, depth signing.
If Smith has anything left, this is certainly a fine deal for an end of the roster player. This is the type of signing that used to be common for the patriots, role players with a year or two left, who contribute if they are need. Of course, sometimes they are not needed. Sometimes the kids step up and there are no injuries.

Will Smith tweets:

My New Home, Let Go @patriots !!!! http://instagram.com/p/noZpmCMqbb/

10311246_1411484092462278_1468916943_n.jpg

$15 grand to take a look.
The lack of any market for his services and his minimum wages cost leads me to believe it's gonna take a miracle of divine intervention for Mr. Smith to be a go in September. Have him follow David Ortiz around to figure out his source for the fountain of youth......ahem

Hopefully he can move around a little more quickly than David Ortiz, no matter how Ortiz does it.

Great deal at this price. No dead money next year from a multi-year deal. Vetmin if he makes it. Great insurance if nothing better comes from the draft.

On the books at New Orleans for $11mm; on the books here at around $600K. Can't go wrong with that.

And based on his history with New Orleans, this is a guy who doesn't need advice from an MLB player on finding fountains of youth.

Quit hyping up the Pats DLs as if theyre going to be the starters of the future.

Who is hyping them up?

You included Smith in your post which made it seem like you were talking about the entire DL corp. Everyone knows he didn't come here to start, he came to be a rotational/backup. Same with what Jones, Siligia, Armstead, and Buchanan will be.

How about waiting until after the draft to whine about them getting younger at the DT starter position.

I predict comeback player of the year.
For some reason I have a feeling this is going to be like 2011 Andre Carter.

The saints forum is happy for smith and had nothing but good things to say about him. Usually, you hear stuff like "he was overrated or old...let NE have him," but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back