PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Will Smith signed by Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly there's room for improvement in the position when the cuts begin. It's unbelievable that last season we went only with Jones and Ninko.

Certainly there's room for improvement in the position when the cuts begin. It's unbelievable that last season we went only with Jones and Ninko.

We didn't go with just them, though. There were 5 DEs on the roster; the other three were just so bad that they couldn't get any playing time.

Carter: nothing left in the tank, but was still the #3 DE basically by default
Bequette: must just really suck, considering that he couldn't beat out Carter for a gameday active spot
Buchanan: showed some potential, but took too many unnecessary penalties and tended to pursue too far upfield, opening up huge running lanes for any QB with even a little mobility.

I expect Buchanan and Smith to both be upgrades over Carter last year.

With the XTRA WRs we're carrying, I'm not smith makes the team. Neither Boyce or Thompkins will be cut. Beqette is likely cut and I don't see how they cut Zach Moore who at 6'5 275 shows top flight measurables. I think if he had combine training like SEC players get he could have run in the 4.65-4.7 range. He could surprise us this preseason. I hear he surprised coaches and OLineman with them with his power and quickness For how strong he is. You would have to think Buchanan made strides in strength and technique. So at Defensive end it could get exciting.

Yes, we had 5 DE's last year. This year, I suspect that 4 DE's will be plenty, especially with Easley as a possibility for reps at DE. I also expect Buchanan to progress a bit, and for Smith to be an upgrade over Carter (not a high bar).

BEQUETTE is in an uncomplicated position. He needs to show that he is need, primarily by beating out Smith.

MOORE is the wildcard. To me, he is one of 2-3 developmental possibilities at the end of the roster. I don't see him as relevant to the decision for the 4 DE's.

We didn't go with just them, though. There were 5 DEs on the roster; the other three were just so bad that they couldn't get any playing time.

Carter: nothing left in the tank, but was still the #3 DE basically by default
Bequette: must just really suck, considering that he couldn't beat out Carter for a gameday active spot
Buchanan: showed some potential, but took too many unnecessary penalties and tended to pursue too far upfield, opening up huge running lanes for any QB with even a little mobility.

I expect Buchanan and Smith to both be upgrades over Carter last year.

Eh, Reiss or anyone else has no idea at this point if Smith or Kelly will make the roster. He's completely just guessing right now.
Yes, Reiss is guessing.

IMHO, the decisions are unrelated. Smith will make a place for himself at DE, or he won't.

With regard to Kelly, he will be healthy enough to keep at DT, or not. IMHO, Vellano (or a free agent) is the alternative to Kelly, if we still want a 5th DT. We are already fine with Wilfork, Siliga, Easley and Jones.

NINE DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (could add a developmental 10th)
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Smith/Bequette
DT: Wilfork, Siliga, Jones, Kelly/Vellano
DE/DT: Easley

Yes, Reiss is guessing.

IMHO, the decisions are unrelated. Smith will make a place for himself at DE, or he won't.

With regard to Kelly, he will be healthy enough to keep at DT, or not. IMHO, Vellano (or a free agent) is the alternative to Kelly, if we still want a 5th DT. We are already fine with Wilfork, Siliga, Easley and Jones.

NINE DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (could add a developmental 10th)
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Smith/Bequette
DT: Wilfork, Siliga, Jones, Kelly/Vellano
DE/DT: Easley
I like Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Siliga, and Jones but realistically given that we are going to spend a solid 35-40% of our time in a 3 DE, 1 DT front do we really need to keep 5 DTs on the roster? I am not sure, I like the thing is I like all 5 of those players and would have a hard time parting with any of them, but I really think we only need 4 DTs.

I like Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Siliga, and Jones but realistically given that we are going to spend a solid 35-40% of our time in a 3 DE, 1 DT front do we really need to keep 5 DTs on the roster? I am not sure, I like the thing is I like all 5 of those players and would have a hard time parting with any of them, but I really think we only need 4 DTs.
I'm sorry but 4 DTs is a horrible idea. Get a couple injures there and you're screwed like last year.

I'm sorry but 4 DTs is a horrible idea. Get a couple injures there and you're screwed like last year.
Last season we opened the year with Wilfork, Kelly, and Vellano.

Last season we opened the year with Wilfork, Kelly, and Vellano.

Last year, Wilfork and Kelly were coming in as basically ironmen. This year, we have Wilfork and Kelly coming back from season-ending injuries, and Easley coming back from a torn ACL. The situation has changed pretty dramatically, and I expect that that'll be reflected in the roster construction, especially with Easley being a complete unknown at this point and something of a hybrid as well. I expect 5 DTs to make the final 53 (Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Easley). Although if Kelly performs poorly in camp/preseason, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get axed.

Personally, I think they'll start the season light in the secondary since they have Browner coming back in week 5. 9-10 DL, 9 secondary, 6-7 LB would be my guess.

I think it's as simple as if he's recovered, he makes the team. If he's healthy, he's part of a 4 man DE rotation with Ninkovich, Jones, and Buchanan. There's no way that Bequette beats out a healthy Smith.
I might be a dreamer but I still have hope for Bequette, he is 3-0 in his 1on1 battles this camp. I like his size and athleticism combination, I think if he put it together, he could be a productive DE. I cannot remember a player that was healthy on the Patriots for 2 seasons and has been given as little an opportunity as Bequette to play, it is just odd to me, but he is still here.

Last year, Wilfork and Kelly were coming in as basically ironmen. This year, we have Wilfork and Kelly coming back from season-ending injuries, and Easley coming back from a torn ACL. The situation has changed pretty dramatically, and I expect that that'll be reflected in the roster construction, especially with Easley being a complete unknown at this point and something of a hybrid as well. I expect 5 DTs to make the final 53 (Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Easley). Although if Kelly performs poorly in camp/preseason, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get axed.
I agree, I expect those 5 to make the roster, I just think ideally we would have 4 reliable DTs and 5 DEs.

I agree, I expect those 5 to make the roster, I just think ideally we would have 4 reliable DTs and 5 DEs.
I think that Easley is good enough to be a "reliable" #5 DE.

Right on, so you see them going with 9 defensive linemen? I have them going with 9-10, along with 9 in the secondary (a little light there since they have Browner coming back in week 5) and 6-7 linebackers. Since the team will probably play most of its snaps with 2 linebackers, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 DL, 6 LB, and 9 in the secondary.

Right on, so you see them going with 9 defensive linemen? I have them going with 9-10, along with 9 in the secondary (a little light there since they have Browner coming back in week 5) and 6-7 linebackers. Since the team will probably play most of its snaps with 2 linebackers, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 DL, 6 LB, and 9 in the secondary.

I know that BB usually carries 6 or more LBs. But I suspect this year might be different. Beyond the 4 of Mayo, Collins, Hightower and Anderson, I don't see much talent there. One dedicated ST/developmental guy I could see, probably White. There are some special circumstances that could alter conventional thinking. Both Ninko and Smith have spent part of their careers as pro LBs, so they could be called on in a pinch.

Secondly we will likely play more nickle and dime and even some quarter, secondary formations, so the demand for LBs might be for only 2 instead of 3 or 4.

In that case 5 LBs is more than enough, especially as the bubble player is good at ST if it is Ebner, Wilson or Chung.

Opinions?

I know that BB usually carries 6 or more LBs. But I suspect this year might be different. Beyond the 4 of Mayo, Collins, Hightower and Anderson, I don't see much talent there. One dedicated ST/developmental guy I could see, probably White. There are some special circumstances that could alter conventional thinking. Both Ninko and Smith have spent part of their careers as pro LBs, so they could be called on in a pinch.

Secondly we will likely play more nickle and dime and even some quarter, secondary formations, so the demand for LBs might be for only 2 instead of 3 or 4.

In that case 5 LBs is more than enough, especially as the bubble player is good at ST if it is Ebner, Wilson or Chung.

Opinions?

Sure, I pretty much agree with that. I'm currently guessing 6, maybe 7 LBs, but I wouldn't be totally shocked to see it dropped to 5 given the overall versatility in the front 7. Right now, I'm guessing that Mayo, Hightower, Beauharnais, Collins, Anderson, and Gordon make it, but maybe the team decides that it doesn't need one of Beauharnais or Gordon. If Mayo's the mike and Hightower is playing LB (ie not playing a lot of DE), it's hard to see Beauharnais getting on the field much without injuries.

I would say 9-10 DL, 5-6 LB, 9-10 DB. My sleeper is Darius Fleming making the team as a LB/DE. He reminds me a lot of Ninkovich when he first came to New England.

Bequette is undefeated in 1on1 drills this camp, he beat Solder today on a really impressive move from what Reiss reported. Smith had a difficult day today again as did Moore, if you are going on camp performance as of today Bequette is the leader. That of course could change.

I think that Easley is good enough to be a "reliable" #5 DE.
I agree with that.

I think a player like Darius Fleming could make the team as an OLB/DE/ST player.

Opinions?
Right now I have:

Chandler Jones- DE/DT
Rob Ninkovich- DE/OLB
Michael Buchanan- DE/ST
Jake Bequette- DE
Darius Fleming- DE/OLB/ST
Dominique Easley- DT/DE
Vince Wilfork- DT/NT
Tommy Kelly- DT
Chris Jones- DT
Sealver Siliga- DT/NT
Jerod Mayo- ILB/OLB
Donta Hightower- OLB/ILB
Jamie Collins- OLB
James Anderson- OLB/ILB
Steve Beauharnais- ILB
Cameron Gordon- ILB/OLB/ST
Darrelle Revis- CB
Brandon Browner- CB
Alfonzo Dennard- CB
Logan Ryan- CB
Kyle Arrington- CB
Devin McCourty- SAF
Jamea Thomas- SAF/CB/ST
Tavon Wilson- SAF/ST
Duron Harmon- SAF

Final spot is Chung or Ebner as a SAF/ST.

Last edited:
Right now I have:

Chandler Jones- DE/DT
Rob Ninkovich- DE/OLB
Michael Buchanan- DE/ST
Jake Bequette- DE
Darius Fleming- DE/OLB/ST
Dominique Easley- DT/DE
Vince Wilfork- DT/NT
Tommy Kelly- DT
Chris Jones- DT
Sealver Siliga- DT/NT
Jerod Mayo- ILB/OLB
Donta Hightower- OLB/ILB
Jamie Collins- OLB
James Anderson- OLB/ILB
Steve Beauharnais- ILB
Cameron Gordon- ILB/OLB/ST
Darrelle Revis- CB
Brandon Browner- CB
Alfonzo Dennard- CB
Logan Ryan- CB
Kyle Arrington- CB
Devin McCourty- SAF
Jamea Thomas- SAF/CB/ST
Tavon Wilson- SAF/ST
Duron Harmon- SAF

Final spot is Chung or Ebner as a SAF/ST.
If it came down to Chung or Ebner I feel like the special teams would be a big factor but it would really depend on if players like Bolden who can contribute on ST would make the roster. Unless Ebner has made huge gains there is no way that he is a better safety than Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes