PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Will Smith signed by Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! Good signing, Doesn't have to be Go To Guy but a guy BB can go to in schemes.

This is where we stand heading into the draft.

DE

Chandler Jones
Rob Ninkovich
Michael Buchanan
Will Smith
Jake Bequette

DT
Vince Wilfork
Tommy Kelly
Chris Jones
Sealver Siliga
Armond Armstead
Joe Vellano
Marcus Fortson

It was ages ago, but coming out of OSU, he always had great athleticism and a high motor.

I'd be a little concerned that he was possibly too reliant on his athleticism when he was younger to have a ton left to give. He has bulked up over the years (I believe he even got caught with PEDs). Still, though I believe he could be helpful in a situational role.

Also, in my analysis of the defensive ends in the draft, I find there are MAYBE four guys who could legitimately contribute for us next season, who could possibly be available.

Nice signing that will give the d line some experience as well as depth. Hopefully he has something left in the tank.

Great news.
This further offers flexibility during the draft - no hole that is so gaping that the team is forced to draft a specific position.

If healthy, he offers the best opportunity to lessen the snaps of Ninkovich.
He also offers a skillset and size that is different than what the team currently fields. He's bigger than Ninkovich, heavier than the other back-ups.

If not healthy, I doubt there will be much cost to releasing him after pre-season, given this stage of the off-season. We'll see.

Very pleased.

He is on the roster, I'm sure he will be given an opportunity. Remember last season we had Benard, Cunningham, and Francis, all had shown more at the NFL level then Bequette and Buchanan yet all were cut.

Please.

Bequette's name has offically been changed to LHF. Low Hanging Fruit.

He could also be DMW.

Last edited:
Smart signing. Now they won't have to run Jones into the ground like last year.

DE need addressed in terms, that give us flexibility in the draft.

Defense got nice additions in FA, I think we will see a draft focused on boost the offense.

This actually puts us in a good position where there aren't any positions that NEED a draft pick, but just about every position could USE one. DE rotation looks good, but a talented rookie falls in our lap and I'm okay with him beating out Buchanan for snaps. We look to have good flexibility going into the draft.

Other than the ACL, never missed more than two games a season. Six seasons where he played all 16 games.

However, last three years he played he averaged six sacks, he's past 30, and coming off an ACL. So he slots into the role Andre Carter played.

Decent depth signing but the situation still needs to be addressed. He didn't look like the Will Smith of old prior to injury, but he at least gives the Pats another capable body. It's definitely a good thing that they're recognizing a need for a rotation of pass rushers. Can never have too many of them.

Yes! Now, Dominique Easley with 29 or trade back to the early part of second round to get him
Yeah, Easley and Smith can chat about their torn ACLs. I want no part of Easley in the 1st OR 2nd round.

Andre Carter looked like Garbage last season but it was his first year coming off ACL surgery, a lot of players take a full season to be fully recovered, I would not rule him out as another depth signing, he's certainly old and washed up, but a good player and great locker room presence.

Does Will Smith rush from the DT spot on occassion? I would perfer Chandler stick on the edge when we go with a 3 DE package (one at DT).

Yeah, Easley and Smith can chat about their torn ACLs. I want no part of Easley in the 1st OR 2nd round.
Easley was in beast mode last year after surgery for a torn ACL. I can understand the apprehension about him, but he's going to be wearing braces on both knees now and, when healthy, is exactly what we need out of a 3-tech sub-rusher.

Andre Carter looked like Garbage last season but it was his first year coming off ACL surgery, a lot of players take a full season to be fully recovered, I would not rule him out as another depth signing, he's certainly old and washed up, but a good player and great locker room presence.

I like Andre and would welcome him back but even given Big Willie's injury I would think he is the better player at this point which might make it tough for Andre. I am sure BB would consider bringing him back to fight it out in TC. And Andre said its Patriots or retirement so maybe he stays in shape hoping to get the call like Seau did.

Hopefully he brings what Carter did his first season here, I would love it if they added Keller this week as well.

Easley was in beast mode last year after surgery for a torn ACL. I can understand the apprehension about him, but he's going to be wearing braces on both knees now and, when healthy, is exactly what we need out of a 3-tech sub-rusher.

If he checked out physically i would be fine with Easely in the 2nd but i wouldn't use a first on any prospect with 2 torn ACL's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back